Thursday, December 26, 2013

Werelord Thal: A Renaissance Werewolf Tale by Tracy Falbe: Character Interview


Character interview with Thal from Werelord Thal: A Renaissance Werewolf Tale by Tracy Falbe


Tell us about your family? 

I’ve had many families when I lived purely as a wolf. The finest females of the mountain forests were my mates and we raised strong cubs. Many years went by but I did not reckon it as such because of my animal mind. My mates would age and die but I would live on. It was not until the magic of my human parents recalled me from the forest that I grasped the decades that had passed in the wild. Now that I am a man again I am still young.  

Memories of my youth as a human are broken and incomplete, but I remember living with my mother. She was a great healer and a kind soul. I never realized the extent of her powers until her spell transformed me back to a man with werewolf powers.  

Of my father I remember vivid images. His shaved head. The tattoos upon his chest. I believe that he loved me, but I was wary of his potent powers. He wrote the spell upon my magic fur that shifts me from a man to a werewolf.  

I know that when I was a boy that I lived with him and my mother, but then my mother took me and left him. I’m not sure why. When I approached manhood I returned to him, but I remember very little of how he changed me into a wolf and set me free. I know only that it was my choice.


What was the scariest moment of your life? 

I’m very good at controlling my fear, but I am not immune to it. The worst terror for me was when I found out that Altea had been accused of witchcraft and was dragged to the torture chamber. I had no idea if she was still alive or what had been done to her. I knew only that I must save her, if I still could, and that everyone in my path would die swiftly.


What do you do to unwind and relax?  

I travel with my dear friends Regis, Raphael, and Carlo. They are talented musicians from Venice. I keep them safe on the road. When they play at a tavern I enjoy their music and the beer and supper they earn from their songs. We have fun on these splendid nights when nothing bad happens. I appreciate their company and like being able to help them. Regis is my closest friend. As an artist he has a lot of insight into the ways of the world. I suspect the advice he gives me is good, but I tend not to follow it.


If you could apologize to someone in your past, who would it be? 

I would apologize to my dear mother for leaving her all alone. I wanted my father and what he could give me, so I left her. I was young and never considered the trials she would face in a world where a woman alone is not accepted. 

Who should play you in a film? 

Garrett Hedlund.


What would we find under your bed?  

When I shift I take off my clothing and weapons because I can’t use them when I’m a werewolf. Sometimes I leave these things under my bed. So if you enter my room and find my clothes, pistols, sword, and knives you’ll know that I am out there somewhere in my werewolf form. I would never leave my weapons behind if I was still in my man form. In this world a man needs his weapons or he is nothing.

What one word best describes you?  


Thal is wanted for Devil worship and shape shifting but still boldly walks the streets of 16th century Prague. Jesuits hunt him. Mercenaries fear him. Musicians sing his praise, and women are captivated by his alpha swagger.

Born of a witch and a sorcerer, he is summoned when his desperate mother casts the werewolf spell before facing torture and execution. Burdened with her magical call for vengeance Thal seeks the men that killed her. His hunt is complicated when the Magistrate’s stepdaughter Altea Kardas crosses his path. She is horrified that her community is burning women to death. She can confide her doubt and fear only to Thal.

He desires her greatly but knows he will bring ruin upon her. Across Bohemia and beyond people who are different are labeled heretics in a restless world hobbled by tyrannical ignorance. The Renaissance has thrown the Holy Roman Empire into turmoil. Printed books are spreading radical ideas. Firearms are triggering a new age of warfare. And the human spirit is shaking off obedience.

Thal embodies the ancient magic of the pagan past. He challenges a world conquered by a spiritual system that denies the flesh and forgets the Earth. And he awakens within Altea recognition of these truths. She believes any risk is worth loving him until she becomes the bait in a trap set by Thal’s enemies.

Goodreads photo AddtoGoodreads.jpg
Button-Amazon125 photo buttonAmazon.jpgBarnes photo ButtonBarnes.jpgSmashwords photo ButtonSmash.jpg

I've always written stories. When I was a kid I wrote stories and drew pictures for them and stapled them together to make books. My mother recently showed me one of these little books apparently based on my older brother's Dungeons & Dragons gaming.

When I was 14 I wrote a sci fi novel. When I was 15 I wrote a fantasy novel. I set them aside and never looked at them again. Then I grew up and had some adventures and became disillusioned about most everything except my dream of being a novelist. In 1997 at the age of 25 I started writing again. Now it's 2012 and I am working on my eighth novel. No publisher was ever interested in me. I stopped beating my head on that door in 2004. But rejection from people who would never care about my dream only emboldened me. I began self publishing my fantasy fiction in 2005. That was before being an indie author was cool.
Despite relentless obscurity and general disrespect, I was always encouraged by a steady trickle of sales and the occasional kind comment from a reader.

To be honest, being a novelist is always a struggle. I get criticized in public and don't get called by any movie producers, but also every day someone somewhere buys my novels and that amazes me. I'm humbled by my readers. I will always do my best to craft stories worthy of them. I love the stories I write, and sometimes other people like them too. I'm having a good dream.

1 comment:

Tracy Falbe said...

Thank you for doing such a nice job presenting the character interview. I hope your readers enjoyed getting to know Thal. He's my new hero.