Thursday, December 12, 2013

Betwixt by Melissa Pearl: Guest Post


 




Melissa Pearl's Bucket List
 

Let me just preface this list by saying that I have a very happy life. I love what I do. I feel so privileged to be able to write every day. I love my husband and sons so much. I have an amazing family and the world's best friend. If I never get to tick any of the following off my list, I will die a happy person. However, if I get to do these things one day, I know they will make me smile a mile wide, probably jump up and down a little and no doubt have me squeeing with delight.

 

So - here are 12 things on my list, in no particular order...

 

1.      Learn how to snowboard. A lot of my cousins and friends snowboard and they always come back with the best stories. I actually don't love the cold and have never really been able to afford to go snowboarding, but I would love to try it. I've been once, for a short day, but would love to spend a week or two up on an isolated mountain getting really good. I think it'd be super fun :)

 

2.      Visit Neuschwanstein Castle in Germany. I have always loved history and castles. I'd love to do a castle tour in Europe. There are SO many amazing places to see, but this one would have to be top of my list. I used to have a 1000 piece jigsaw puzzle of this castle that I did when I was a kid and I used to dream of going there as I slotted puzzle pieces into place.

 

3.      See at least one of my books on screen. Whether it be film or TV, that is an ultimate dream of mine. To see one of my creations acted out. I'd just love that. I don't know whether I'll ever be able to tick this off my list, but I'm gonna keep dreaming it, that's for sure.

 

4.      Be on set while a film is being shot. I don't even mind what the movie is. Film just absolutely fascinates me and I'd love to be standing on the sidelines during production of a movie, just to see how it all works.

 

5.      To own a Corvette Stingray...or I'd take a Mini Coupe. I know - two totally different cars, but I actually love American classic cars and to me, the Corvette Stringray is just all yumminess. I feel like a Mini Coupe would be a more realistic dream for me to actually achieve, which is why I've added this to the list. My entire life I've always owned second hand cheap cars that I just run into the ground until I have to offload them and then buy another second hand cheap car, but one day, I'd really love to own something new.

 

6.      Own my own piano. I love to play the piano and sing. Other than writing, that is probably my favourite, on my own thing, to do in the entire world. Singing fills my soul and I can sit for hours playing the piano and singing my heart out. My mother has loaned me her piano from time to time and I've had others here and there, but I would one-day love to own my very own piano.

 

7.      Tour Europe. I alluded to this one above when I spoke of castles, but I'd like to see much more of Europe. My husband and I did a 9-month road trip around America and Canada. Best year of my life to date. It was AWESOME!!! I'd love to do the same thing around Europe one day. There is so much history there. I'd love to get a taste of it.

 

8.      Hike some of the tracks in the South Island of New Zealand. NZ is my home. Although I don't currently live there, it is where I was born and spent the majority of my life. The South Island has some of the most stunning hiking tracks in the world (says me!) and I really want to hike like all of them. 

 

9.      To own - or at least have a vacation in - a log cabin in the woods. Whenever I'm having a really bad day, I picture a log cabin in a pine forest. When I walk out onto the front porch, I can see the mountains and down the hill is a lake with a jetty and a couple of canoes. Nature like that - mountains, pine trees, rich forest - it is good for both my imagination and my soul. I am inspired in places like that.

 

10.  Get another tattoo. I have one small tattoo that curls around my anklebone. It is a silver fern - a small piece of NZ that I can take with me no matter where I am in the world. I'd now like to get a little something that represents my faith. I just can't decide where I want it :o/

 

11.  Meet some of the people I've come to know online. I would love to meet my PA face to face and the lady I'm working with from Evatopia Press. I'd love to wrap my Indie Inked girls in a big cuddle. I talk to most of these people on a daily or weekly basis. I am getting to know them all so well. They are my online friends. I would LOVE to be able to sit down and have a meal with them and hear what their voices sound like.

 

12.  Visit all the locations my books are set in. I wish I had the money to do on-location research. It'd be so cool to visit all of the places my books are set in. I do most of my research online, I see pictures and get a feel for a place from websites, etc, but actually being there would be wicked cool.
 
 




Betwixt  by Melissa Pearl
(Betwixt #1)
Publication date: November 5th 2012
Genres: Paranormal, Young Adult

 

Synopsis:

Beautiful, wild-child Nicole Tepper is hit by a car and left for dead. But when she wakes the next morning, Nicole finds herself in bed without a scratch. Perhaps she was more intoxicated than usual, as her mother is giving her the silent treatment and her friends are ignoring her as well.

Things take a turn for the weird when Nicole soon discovers she is actually hovering between life and death. Her body is lying in the forest while her spirit is searching for anyone who can hear her. Unfortunately the only person who can is Dale Finnigan, the guy she publicly humiliated with a sharp-tongued insult that has left him branded.

Desperate, Nicole has no choice but to haunt Dale and convince the freaked-out senior to help her. Will he find her body before it’s too late? Or will the guy who tried to kill her with his car, beat him there and finish her off before anyone finds out?

 

Purchase: Amazon | Barnes & Noble 

 

 

NOVELLA 1 - PREQUEL

Before  by Melissa Pearl
(Betwixt #0.5)
Publication date: September 17th, 2013

 

Synopsis:

Dale Finnigan is a teenage rebel; he lives for parties, girls and joy riding in stolen cars. In spite of his uptight parents' constant warnings and lectures, he continues to run wild. His crazy lifestyle is the only way he can live and feel free… Until his reckless behavior takes him down a path where there is no going back.

In this prequel to BETWIXT, find out who Dale Finnigan was before he became known as“scar-face”—the unassuming hero everyone underestimates.

WARNING: This book is intended for mature teens due to coarse language and mature content.

 

Purchase:  Amazon | B&N 

  

NOVELLA 2

Beyond  by Melissa Pearl
(Betwixt #1.5)
Publication date: October 20th 2013

 

Synopsis:

Dale Finnigan is a teenage rebel; he lives for parties, girls and joy riding in stolen cars. In spite of his uptight parents' constant warnings and lectures, he continues to run wild. His crazy lifestyle is the only way he can live and feel free… Until his reckless behavior takes him down a path where there is no going back.

In this prequel to BETWIXT, find out who Dale Finnigan was before he became known as“scar-face”—the unassuming hero everyone underestimates.

WARNING: This book is intended for mature teens due to coarse language and mature content.

 


Purchase: Amazon 
 

 

AUTHOR BIO 
 
 

Melissa Pearl was born in Auckland, New Zealand, but has spent much of her life abroad, living in countries such as Jordan, Cyprus and Pakistan… not to mention a nine month road trip around North America with her husband. “Best. Year. Ever!!” She now lives in China with her husband and two sons. She is a trained elementary teacher, but writing is her passion. Since becoming a full time mother she has had the opportunity to pursue this dream and her debut novel hit the internet in November 2011. Since then she has produced four more books and has a YA fantasy trilogy coming out this year. Unknown and Unseen (The Elements Trilogy) out now!

“I am passionate about writing. It stirs a fire in my soul that I never knew I had. I want to be the best writer I can possibly be and transport my readers into another world where they can laugh, cry and fall in love.”.

 

Author links:




 
Tour wide giveaway
Open internationally
Prizes:
-Paperback of the Betwixt series omnibus
-25$ Amazon Gift Card



 
 
 
 
 
 
 

6 comments:

love to read said...

I've bought the books and they are in my pile for after Christmas when everything quietens down can't wait to start them

Melissa Pearl said...

Thank you so much for featuring my work on your blog today :)

Valerie R said...

Your work is amazing.. and excited to read soon.. Happy Holidays.

Erika R said...

Thank you for sharing.. Love the concept and bet its a great read looking forward. Happy Holidays

steve weber said...

This looks like a great read!
thank you for the chance to win!

V Denis said...

Amazing.. what a treat to find.. Happy Holidays and a safe one.