Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Apocalipstick by Lisa Acerbo: Interview and Excerpt








How did you start your writing career?
I was working on my master’s degree many, many years ago and interned at a local newspaper, The Connecticut Post.  It was an incredible feeling to see my first article in print and my byline.  Since then I have gone on to be published in Hollywood Scriptwriter and The Patch, a community online newspaper. My poetry also won first prize at a local contest, which spurred me on to continue to write.  I did everything but fiction.  Finally, I decided to try fiction.  It was not easy and writing Apocalipstick took me three years.  I am so happy it is now in print!

Apocalipstick was my first book, but book two in the series is coming together.  Jenna and Caleb undergo a challenging quest.  They leave the safety of the inn and their travels resemble the traditional journey of the mythological heroes brought to light by Joseph Campbell.  There are also many unexpected twists for the characters and someone rises from the dead, but not as a zombie.

I was working on my first book and already planning the next book in my head, thinking about the changes and developments that would happen to Jenna and Caleb, the main characters. 


Who is your favorite author?
I adore Stephen King and have read On Writing by King many times.  During the summer, I completed Joyland, and I am currently reading Doctor Sleep.  King is such an amazing storyteller and his characters are written flawlessly.  I hope if I continue to practice, one day I will possess a modicum of his talent.


When in the day/night do you write? How long per day?
Coffee, coffee, and more coffee.  After many cups of coffee, some coherent thoughts enter my mind and I attempt to jot something down. I usually write in the morning for an hour because it is quiet.  I tend to get up at 4 am or 5 am to start the process.  I am a high school teacher so in the summer I can relax and sleep in later.  During the summer, I am home alone with our three cats and write for as long as I want any time the mood strikes me.  


What is the hardest part of writing your books?
The revision and editing part of the process is the hardest.  It is easy to let your ideas romp free in the first draft, but revising the manuscript is complicated, stressful, and challenging.  Each sentence needs to clear and concise, and it is important characters are lifelike in description and dialogue.

 
What does your significant other and family think of your writing career?
My daughter and step-daughter have read and re-read the book, and my daughter was instrumental in telling me what was really and truly awful when I first started writing Apocalipstick. She is also the one who helped me think of the title.  My family is supportive and loves that I write as long as I promise not to make them repeatedly proofread and edit the first drafts.


What are your hero and heroine of the story like?
Jenna, the main character, lives in a post-apocalyptic world filled with zombies and a new race called the “others.” Jenna must not only survive this bleak landscape full of death, but she must also help a small group of survivors reach the safe haven of the High Point Inn. At the inn, Jenna can finally relax and develops feelings for two men: Quentin, who reminds her of the past and Caleb, who, while exotic and intoxicating, is not quite human.

I love Jenna, the heroine of the story.  She is tough, smart and sassy and has this innate ability to stay alive in the craziest situations. What more could you want?  I’m not sure if she is all that likable;  a zombie apocalypse can cause some people to be on edge and grumpy, but she is fiercely loyal to her friends, and that counts for a whole lot when you fight the evil undead.

If you could exchange lives with any of your characters for a day which character would you choose and why?
All the characters are in the middle of a zombie apocalypse. I really would not want to change places with any of them, but Caleb, one of the main characters, did benefit from the virus that killed many people.  He is stronger and healthier, and he does not even know all he is capable of in the first book.  If I had to, I would like to changes places with him and get all the benefits, without having to battle zombies on a daily basis.









Apocalipstick_150dpi_eBook_(2)October 28, 2013 by Shelly Ice


Virtual Book Tour Dates: 11/19/13 – 12/17/13
Genres: Horror, Paranormal Romance, Urban Fiction
Blurb:
Jenna should be having the time of her life at college. Instead, her only desire is survival. She lives in a world gone insane after a virus kills most of the population. Being alive after the apocalypse is bad, but when the undead return, hungry for humans, times turn darker. For Jenna and a small group of survivors, the goal is to reach the High Point Inn. At the inn, Jenna develops feelings for Caleb, who, while exotic and intoxicating, is not quite human. Will this new utopia last?


add-to-goodreads-button







By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes…” ran through Jenna’s mind, another remnant of her former life. Now the graveyard was the safest place. Evil openly roamed the streets and it was coming for her.
Jenna blinked the sweat out of her eyes and took a deep breath. She swayed with exhaustion. Angels, symbols of all things God and good, adornments of the dead, swam in and out of Jenna’s clouded vision. She placed a scarred hand on the peaceful, cold stone markers, embellished with the names of forgotten loved ones. Nowadays, loved ones wanted to come back from the grave and claw your face off, devour your insides.
Jenna wanted to lie down and give up. She was tired and had lost everyone she knew. Hair lank and greasy, mud splattered clothing, old and mismatched. Instead of admitting defeat, she forced herself to stay alert, pushing matted, raven hair out of her eyes with a dirty hand. Jenna could not remember a time in her recent history where she felt clean or had a moment in which she was not fighting to stay alive. Looking around the darkened landscape, she wanted to live. She shoved to her feet once again.


Buy Links:
Amazon
Barnes & Noble
Eternal Press 





 

photo1Lisa Acerbo is a high school teacher and adjunct faculty at the University of Phoenix. She lives in Connecticut with her husband, daughters, three cats, and two horses. When not writing, she mountain bikes, hikes, and tries to pursue some type of further education–she’s working towards an EdD.
Author Links:
Website
Twitter
Facebook
Goodreads

Email Apocalipstickthebook@gmail.com









Lisa is giving away a print copy of her book and a $20 Amazon gift card to two lucky winners! Open worldwide, must be 18 and over to enter. Entry dates: 11/19/13 – 12/17/13
Enter through Rafflecopter 








apocalipsticktourbanner






3 comments:

Lisa Acerbo said...

Thanks for being part of my book tour.

Angela Searles said...

A sword!!! Love the title!

Natasha D said...

A gun and a scythe.
Thanks for the chance to win!