Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Trancehack by Sonya Clark: Interview



Thanks for stopping in Sonya!  Tell us about your current release.

Trancehack is a bit of a genre mash-up. It straddles the line between paranormal romance and urban fantasy, it’s set in the near-future, and it also has some mystery-noirish influences. This future world is somewhat dystopian, as well. DNA tests are administered at birth, with all Magic Born being sent to live in urban zones like the one in this book, FreakTown. The Magic Born have no rights of citizenship, and Normals have given up a lot of their freedoms, too, although many don’t look at it that way because of the overwhelming fear of magic.

A high-profile murder brings Det. Nate Perez to FreakTown. New to dealing with the Magic Born, he enlists the aid of a captivating witch named Calla Vesper. Unbeknownst to him, Calla is able to do a type of magic that is kept secret from Normals and other Magic Born alike - she can use astral projection to enter cyberspace. To keep them both out of danger, she’s going to have use all her skills that combine magic and technology.

Do you listen to music while writing? If so, what?

I always create playlists for every story. It helps set the atmosphere and the tone of what I’m writing. If I have to switch projects - for instance, going from one set of edits to another or from a work-in-progress in one world to edits in another - it really helps to get my head in the right place. For Trancehack, I listened to a lot of Depeche Mode, Faithless, Portishead, and similar artists. It fit with the futuristic world and with the witchpunk atmosphere I was trying to create by combining magic and technology. Nate and Calla have a special song - Cosmic Love by Florence and The Machine. There were scenes where I played that over and over while writing.

Plotter or pantser? Why?

I used to be strictly a pantser but I’ve had to adapt and learn how to plot. I had a book that was a hot mess of crazy and had to torn apart and reworked too many times, all because I wasn’t outlining and plotting. So after that I started outlining and things went much better with the next book. Even so, every book is different, so a method that worked with the last one might or might not work with the next one. Now I’m a sort of plotter/pantser hybrid. I make sure I know how the book will start, how it will end, and as many story hinges in between as possible. I’ll usually start with an outline, but around a third of the way in, that might get tossed and/or significantly redone. Once that happens, I start doing what I call my “Chapter Q & As” - in my notebook for the work-in-progress, I makes notes about what the next chapter needs to accomplish, starting with story questions and then coming up with the answers. I’ll also makes lists of things that need to happen, and details about how to get the characters from Point A to Point B and so on. It’s kind of messy but for now it seems to be working for me.

As a child, what did you want to be when you grew up?

I wanted to be a published author. I was always a big reader, and I was a storyteller, too. I have stuff saved from as far back as the second grade. When I was thirteen, I started seriously thinking that this was what I wanted to do. It’s taken a long time to get here, but I’m very happy my dream came true.

What are the most important attributes for remaining sane as a writer?

Patience is very important. People see success stories like JK Rowling and Stephanie Meyer and think, why aren’t my books selling like that? There’s no real answer to that, but the big names like that - they captured lightning in a bottle. For most writers, it takes a long time and a lot of books to build a good career. You have to be in it for the long haul, and you have to be writing because you love it.

You also need something else, because writing and publishing can be consuming. Let your family and friends keep you grounded, have a hobby, care about something other than just your writing. Poor sales and bad reviews hurt less when you have other things to care about.

What hobbies do you actively pursue?

Like most writers, I’m a big reader. I love to spend time with my husband and daughter. Not sure if that counts as a hobby, but when things get so busy that we’re trying to carve out family time, I’d say it’s definitely something I actively pursue. And since I want to follow my own advice from the previous question, I’ve finally done something I’ve wanted to do for a couple of years now - I bought the tools and some supplies to make jewelry. I’m so new at this, I don’t know if I’ll be any good at it, but I love having another creative outlet.

Where do you dream of traveling to?
I grew up an Army brat so I did a lot of moving around as a kid, got to see a lot of the US as well spending time in Japan and Germany. There are places I didn’t get to see that I would like to one day visit. In the US, New Orleans is at the top of my list. I’ve wanted to visit for years, ever since reading the early Vampire Chronicles books by Anne Rice. As for outside the US, even though I’ve lived in Japan the only time I visited Tokyo was in transit. I’d love to see Tokyo.


Author: Sonya Clark
Series: Magic Born, Book 1
Publisher: Carina Press
Publication date: October 28, 2013
Genre: Futuristic Paranormal Romance
It’s 2065. Those born with magic abilities live in government-run zones, without rights or freedoms. Fear of magic created this segregated world and fear keeps it intact.

A high-profile murder brings Detective Nathan Perez to Magic Born Zone 13. He’s had little experience with the Magic Born and isn’t sure what to expect during his first encounter with a witch, but he never thought he’d be so drawn to her.

Trancehacker Calla Vesper uses magic to break into computers and aid the Magic Born underground. She has no interest in helping a cop, even if he is smoking-hot, but money’s tight and Nate offers a tidy amount for help navigating the Zone. Calla’s determined to keep it all business, but sparks start flying before the investigation even gets started.

When Calla’s trancehacking and Nathan’s investigation uncover a conspiracy, Calla becomes a target. Nate can protect her by keeping her role a secret—but then who will protect Nate? 

Available in digital format from Carina Press, Amazon, Barnes & Noble, and other online book retailers.

About the author: 

Sonya Clark grew up a military brat and now lives in Tennessee with her husband and daughter. She writes urban fantasy and paranormal romance with a heavy helping of magic and lots of music for inspiration. Learn more at Find her on Twitter, Facebook, and Pinterest.


Cover Art Copyright © 2013 by Harlequin Enterprises Limited Permission to reproduce text granted by Harlequin Books S.A. Cover art used by arrangement with Harlequin Enterprises Limited. All rights reserved. ® and ™ are trademarks owned by Harlequin Enterprises Limited or its affiliated companies, used under license.
Copyright © 2013 by Harlequin Enterprises Limited
Cover copy text used by arrangement with Harlequin Enterprises Limited.


1 comment:

Sonya Clark said...

Thank you for hosting me, Laurie! :)