Friday, November 29, 2013

The Sentinel by Holly Martin: Interview and Character Interview







WHAT IF SAVING THE WORLD MEANT LOSING EVERYTHING?

When Eve is rescued from a horrific coach crash by her teachers, she is shocked to discover they possess super strength and speed. But what happens next is even more harrowing. 

In the aftermath of the crash she discovers that everyone in her life from neighbours, doctors, dentists, teachers, shop keepers and even her family and friends are actually super strength Guardians sent to protect her. They all have one thing in common, a single minded ferocity that she must be kept alive at all costs. 

However, she is surrounded by secrets and lies. Those in the know deny all knowledge of what happened that fateful night. Everyone else carries on as normal, seemingly unaware of the new strange world that she has stumbled against. 

With the help of Seth, her best friend, Eve discovers the prophecies surrounding her true identity and the super strength she too holds. With her Guardians pledged to protect her, her closest friends ready to die for her, her own hopes and dreams are put on hold whilst she battles to control the amazing powers she has been bestowed with.

But those that seek to destroy her move ever closer. Will the Guardians be enough to protect her when so many are prepared to stop at nothing to see her dead? And will she be strong enough to fulfil her destiny when the time comes? 

A fast paced fantasy adventure for young adults. With high speed car chases, airborne fights, amazing stunts and super powered beings, this is a story of loyalty, friendship and love 

Praise for The Sentinel 

It's a book you HAVE to read, because it's incredible. An outstanding book that has left me bereft its finished. I wished I'd savoured it for longer. This book was one of those that once you started it was impossible to come away from. It was fast paced, exciting, full of suspense and action that had me gasping in shock at twists I never imagined could happen. It's a story of courage and adventure. And no matter how dark it gets, there's always love and hope. - Victoria Loves Books Blog 

It's really hard to find the words to describe how amazing this book is. This is definitely the best debut I've read this year! I just love this book, I want you all to read this book, in fact you all need to read this book! - Love of a Good Book Blog 

Holly Martin throws Eve in at the deep end, subjecting her protagonist (and readers) to a torrent of drama right from the off. - Jack Croxall (Author of Tethers and X)
Amazon 







An interview with Eve Jones, the main character of The Sentinel, taken during Part 1 of the book.


Where do you dream of traveling to and why?

Anywhere quiet, a desert island somewhere where no one will ever find me.  It seems that death awaits me at every turn, with someone trying to kill me on an almost daily basis.  I’d like to wake up one morning, with the sun on my face and know that I was completely safe.



Tell us about your family.

I don’t have one.  I had people in my life that I was told were my parents.  It turns out they were Guardians, super strength beings sent to protect me.  They’re all dead now, they were killed in an arson attack on my home.  I suppose I have a new family now, my Personal Guard, my best friends Seth and Persia.  There’s Quinn, the only link to my past. I guess he’s my only family now.



What was the scariest moment of your life?

The coach crash was terrifying, when I thought the coach was going to tip over the edge and kill all of us inside.  But what happened next was much worse.  Because it was the moment my whole life unraveled, when everything I knew to be true turned out to be a lie.  My teachers rescuing me under impossible circumstances was bad enough, but finding out that I was the only one that mattered to them was horrifying.  They were going to let the coach go over the cliff, let everyone on the coach die, rather than risk the secret surrounding me being exposed.  I managed to stop them.  But that night was only the beginning.  Everything got much worse after that. 

As a child, what did you want to be when you grew up?

I wanted to be a doctor, the thought of helping people appealed to me.  Little did I know that one day I would be helping seven billion people on the same day.  Yes, according to the Oraculum, the council of nine super powered beings, I’m going to save the world. According to Persia, my best friend, I’m going to die trying.

What group did you hang out with in high school?

I have never been one of the really cool kids, or really clever or really sporty.  I am distinctly average.   I think my friends, well my classmates, will look at our class photo, years from now, when they find it covered in dust at the back of the cupboard, and after laughing at their younger selves, they might pick out their friends and laugh at them too.  And then their eyes might drift to me, standing second from the left on the third row and they’d say, ‘who was that, what was her name, was it Eve something, Eve Jones that was it.’  Then their eyes would slide away from mine to find a much more interesting memory.  As far as my class mates are concerned, I’m just Eve, nice, plain old Eve.  But that’s what I want them to think.  I would hate them to know any different.



What are you passionate about these days?

I just need to be ready to save the world.  So many people have given up their lives to protect me, so many have already ended up dead.  I have to work as hard as I can so when the time comes, however it comes, I’m ready to face it.



What do you do to unwind and relax?

Ha, there is very little time for that, I’m training every second of the day.  Sleeping seems to be my only downtime.  I fall into bed exhausted every night.  But the brief moments in the mornings, before I get up, when Seth is there and it’s just me and him, it’s then, wrapped in his arms, that I know I am safe.  For a fleeting, snatched moment I can relax. 



What makes you happy? 

Being with Seth makes me happy.  Nothing else comes close.



What is something people would be surprised to know about you?

That I’m supposed to save the world.  I’m having trouble believing that myself.  I can’t help thinking there’s been some terrible mistake.  I’m small and thin and I strongly doubt that I have all this power that they foresee I have.  I’ve seen bits of it, little sparks, tiny achievements.  I can make it snow and I’ve created fireballs in my hands, but that all seems very small and menial when faced with the task of global devastation.





Tell us about your current release.

The Sentinel is about a young girl charged with saving the world and the powerful people and creatures that try to help her and destroy her.  With high speed car chases, airborne fights, amazing stunts and super powered beings, this is a story of loyalty, friendship and love



Where do you dream of traveling to and why?

New Zealand.  I’m a huge fan of Lord of the Rings and the movies portrayed the country as a beautiful, almost magical land.  I know much of the film was probably airbrushed, filmed in studios or on purpose built sets but it just captured my heart and I’ve been desperate to go there ever since.



Do you listen to music while writing? If so what?

The Sentinel has some great epic, dramatic scenes.  I need inspiring music to help create these vivid scenes in my head.  Two Step from Hell has some absolutely epic music, the stuff that gives you goosebumps, the end of the world kind of music.  Their Invincible album is my favorite.



What are your favorite TV shows?

Castle, NCIS and Big Bang Theory.  I don’t get a lot of time for TV, but these shows are easy to dip in and out of.  For me, the shining glory in all these shows is the relationships, not just the romance but the friendships too.  I love the banter between the characters and how their relationships evolve across the series.



What do you do to unwind and relax?

I write.  I work very long hours so when I finally do get to relax, I like to escape into a different world.  I read lots too, but escaping into a world of my creation is much better.  I can make anything or everything happen at the click of a button.  Shape shifters, fantastical creatures, heroes to die for. I love the worlds I have created and the vivid characters that I choose to populate these worlds with.



Do you have any suggestions for beginning writers? If so, what are they?

Just write.  It doesn’t even have to be a story, just write a scene, a description, a conversation.  Write down everything in your head.  Some of the ideas may turn into something else, something longer, some of them may not.  But they’re never going to turn into anything if they stay rattling around in your head. 
Once you have a story on paper get your friends to look at it, people you trust to give you an honest opinion.  Make sure your piece absolutely shines before you send it off to publishers or agents, polish it, edit it, tweak it, rewrite it.  If you’re happy then send it off.  You will get rejections.  Every single writer in the world has got them.  If you’re lucky enough to get actual feedback in your rejection, something you can use, then try to implement it in your work.  It’s unlikely you will get that unless the publishers or agents saw some promise in your work, so take that as a positive.
Pick yourself up and try again.





I live in sunny Bedfordshire in a house with round windows. I studied media at university which led to a very glitzy career as a hotel receptionist followed by a even more glamorous two years working in a bank. The moment that one of my colleagues received the much coveted carriage clock for fifteen years service was the moment when I knew I had to escape. I quit my job and returned to university to train to be a teacher. Three years later, I emerged wide eyed and terrified that I now had responsibility for the development of thirty young minds. I taught for four years before History Off The Page came to my school to do a Tudor day. I now drive round the country in my little white van, dressing up as a Viking one day and an Egyptian High Priestess the next.

I love to write. The characters do exactly what I want them to do, most of the time. Sometimes they do seem to go off and do their own thing without my permission. It is complete escapism into a world where I have full control.

I've been writing for four years now, every spare second I have, I'm scribbling ideas in a notebook or typing a scene on my laptop. I have written three romantic fiction books. Changing Casanova and The Chainsaw Masquerade were recently shortlisted for the Festival of Romance New Talent Award. My short story, One Hundred Proposals, won the Belinda Jones Travel Club short story competition and was published in the Sunlounger anthology.

The Sentinel is my first published novel.
 

Social Links:
Facebook  
Twitter  
Blog 



1 comment:

holly martin said...

Hi Laurie, thanks for hosting this x