Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Rise of Xosha by S.Cu'Anam Policar: Character Interview and Excerpt


Character Interview with Pyre

What book are you reading now?

-ponders a moment, tapping a pale finger on his chin- Right now? Chos has me reading one of his many boring books on diplomacy. -eye roll- He thinks I need to be more "refined". 

Tell us about your family.

My family was small by dragon standards. For some reason there were only three of us hatched to my parents. I'm the middle one. My brother, Oceanus is the oldest. And my sister, Jade is the youngest. Though I suppose, given our ranking within the horde, the entire horde was my family. 

What was the scariest moment of your life?

The scariest moment? When Mangum dragon-napped Rose. I've never been so terrified in my life. I WILL find her and I going to pluck every feather off that Anjyl one by one until he begs me for mercy.

Who has had the most influenced your life?

My father. Toqu Drakul was the greatest leader our horde had ever known. It was my dream to be just like him, even if Oceanus was destined to rule the horde after my father. 

Who did you hang out with growing up?

Mostly Obsidian, until she stabbed me in the back. Then no one really. I mean Jade pretty much stalked me, and if I knew then what I know now... -sighs softly- 

Tell us a little about where you're from.

We came to Xosha from the Diamond Isles. Our home was an island that had no name. I'm not sure any of the islands in The Diamond Isles ha names honestly. Our island was surrounded by two very different mountain ranges. The Opal Mountains were always covered in snow, it never stopped snowing there, and the Fire Mountains which had rivers of lava flowing down them. The sky was always grey there and ash fell from the sky like rain. The mountains made a perfect ring around the island and the center held a huge valley that had a hot spring. I miss home sometimes, but through the centuries, Xosha has become my home. Maybe once I find her and rescue her we can home again... 

What do you do to unwind and relax?

I don't remember. It's been so long since I've been able to relax. I feel like my body is just a tightly coiled spring that's ready to pop at any minute. I used to like to fly aimlessly and swim.. but those simple pleasures are no longer allowed to me. 

If you could apologize to someone in your past, who would it be?

Oceanus. I should have listened to my brother, and even though I didn't, I should have apologized for everything, but now it's too late...
A tale of epic proportions.
The Rise of Xosha tells the tale of Xosha's beginnings.
Where Anjyls are mortal pawns,
Dragons rule the skies,
Wolves and elves roam the forests,
and demons lurk below the surface.

Oceanus, the leader of the last horde of dragons in the realms must find his people a new home. Going only on the word of the odd colored white dragon, Rose, he leads the horde far from their home, over waters that seem to have no end.

Pyre, Oceanus' younger, rebellious brother must come to terms with the fact that Oceanus will never see him as anything more then a whelp too young to be of any use.

Jade the youngest of the three has her own thoughts and inner demons to contend with.

Then there's Rose, The dragon with an amazing gift no one will acknowledge. The outcast of her people simply because she's the only one of her color.

One to lead...One to see...One to protect...One to Deceive.
The Rise of Xosha; The story that started the legend.

"not all allies are friends, not all friends are true, and some enemies will in turn be your greatest allies."

This book contains mild to moderate violence, the concept of death, insinuated sexual contact. Not Recommended for Readers under the age of 16.
Pyre was ready to call it quits. He foresaw no end to the desert and was not only tired but starving. Reaper warned them from the start that stopping even for a few minutes out here would mean death.
                Pyre tried to lift his leg to step in vain, and soon felt himself crash, exhausted in the sand. The others heard the thud over the swirling winds and stopped each turning around.
                “Pyre you have to get up. We’re almost out of here!” Oceanus yelled, Panic laced in his words.
                It’s too late for him. We have to keep moving! Reaper growled to the large blue dragon.
                “I’m not leaving him behind wolf! He’s my brother I can’t leave him!” Oceanus hissed to the wolf alpha.
                The ground behind Pyre began to rumble. The vibration trailing over to Oceanus and the wolves. They all looked down between their feet, then to Pyre, then to the large sand dune forming behind him. Shocked horror masked on all their faces.
                We have to move now or we’re all dead! Reaper barked. Behind him, the four scouts began to shift their weight from paw to paw nervously as they whined.
                “I am not leaving Pyre…” Oceanus started. His words abruptly cut off by an earsplitting clacking sound.
                Behind Pyre, stood a scorpion as large as a small dragon. It’s deadly tail dripping green poison.
                “What in the nine hells is that?!” Oceanus fumbled for words as his gaze fell on the creature.
                One of the many reasons I told you not to lift the mountain. That’s a pet of the demons of Shai’Pyre. If it’s tail even grazes you, it’s death. Reaper explained as he and the other wolves backed up slowly.
                I hear the meat under the shell is to die for. The snarky female scout commented.
                The scorpion had spotted Pyre’s prone form and poised its tail to strike.


No comments: