Friday, November 8, 2013

Moon River by J.R. Rain: Interview

Question: Hi, J.R.! Thanks for joining us. Let’s start off with an easy one: how did you begin your writing career? 

J.R. RAIN: Hi, Laurie! Thanks for having me. It’s an honor. You know, I always wanted to do something creative for a living. Early on, I just didn’t know what. I used to draw a lot, and was certain I would be a comic book artist. Until I realized my talent was minimal. Then again, I was only ten, so there’s a small chance I was being too hard on myself, haha. So I branched out to other creative outlets, like wood working, furniture making, crafts, whittling, sewing, and so many more things. I swear to God, I made my own skis, skateboards, skimboards and roller skates, haha. It’s a wonder I didn’t kill myself. Anyway, I finally decided to “make” a book, and that’s when the light went on for me...this was what I was searching for: writing!

Q: How do you describe your writing style? 

JR: Sexy. Kidding. I think sort of folksy. Conversational. I have sort of done away with the standard style that most traditional publishers look for: the wooden, standardized, by-the-numbers writing many writers seem to engage in. I’m sort of outside of the box, free-wheeling, unpredictable. Or not. Maybe I’m wrong.

Q: Do you use a pen name? If so, how did you come up with it?

JR: Believe it or not, J.R. Rain is not my real name. Years ago, I was told by publishers that women may not want to read my books if they knew I was a dude. That was an eye-opener, and so I decided to go with initials. I picked J.R. After my father’s initials, and “Rain” because water is near and dear to my heart. I’m a Scorpio, water sign. I live next to the ocean and I moved up to the Pacific Northwest specifically for the rain, haha.

Q: Do you have any suggestions for beginning writers? If so, what are they?

JR: Find your voice. Find your style. That will take, probably, a few years of hard work. But find yourself in your writing, how you can best express yourself, your ideas, and your stories. The journey to this discover is long and windy and you may or may not give up in the process. I hope you stick with it. 

Q: Have any of your characters been modeled after yourself? 

JR: Most writers infuse all of our characters with bits and pieces of ourselves. But, yes, it is true that some characters more closely resemble us than others. In my case, it would be Jim Knighthorse. I put most of me into him, including my color-blindness. I may not be as cocky as him, but get a few beers in me, and I think I can conquer the world. 

Q: Tell us something you think we should know about your books.

JR: Five of my novels feature five different main characters named Jim. 

Q: Tell us about your current release. 

JR: It’s called Moon River, and it doesn’t include a main character named Jim, haha. This is my Samantha Moon mystery series that features a private eye vampire mama. She herself is modeled after my sister and an ex-federal agent I used to date. This is the eighth in the series, and showcases Samantha Moon hunting a serial killer under a river in Los Angeles. Yes, there are/was a major river in Los Angeles. It was a challenging, but fun book to write. I kill a major character off in this one, sad to say.

Q: Tell us about your next release.

JR: In the next few months, I will have four major releases: Clean Slate (the fourth Jim Knighthorse novel), Hear No Evil (the first PSI novel, written with A.K. Alexander), Silent Echo (a big national release for me with Thomas & Mercer Publishers) and The Witch and the Angel (my second Witches novel). Whew! 

Q: Thank you for stopping by, J.R.!

J.R. Rain is an ex-private investigator now writing full-time in the Pacific Northwest where he lives in a small house on a small island with his small dog, Sadie, who has more energy than Robin Williams.  He will be publishing a slew of new novels over the next five years, so stop by often and check out what’s new. 
His latest book is the contemporary fantasy/mystery, Moon River.
Visit his website at
Connect & Socialize with J.R.!

Seven years ago federal agent Samantha Moon was the perfect wife and mother, your typical soccer mom with the minivan and suburban home. Then the unthinkable happens, an attack that changes her life forever. And forever is a very long time for a vampire.

Now in MOON RIVER, private investigator, Samantha Moon, is asked to look into a string of bizarre murders, murders that are looking more and more like the handiwork of a bloodthirsty vampire. But when her sister, Mary Lou, goes missing, Samantha, Allison and Kingsley take the fight underground...into the dark heart of a vampire's lair.
Purchase your copy at AMAZON
Discuss this book in our PUYB Virtual Book Club at Goodreads by clicking HERE.



No comments: