Sunday, November 10, 2013

Lie by Rathan Krueger: Character Interview


Character Interview with Idette Rudelle from Lie



Tell us about your family.

There’s not much to tell. My da’s dead and my ma’s an invalid. Don’t think I’m pullin’ your bloody heartstrings, I’m just statin’ facts. My da, Tabbart, was a hardworkin’ guy, but that may just be my bias, being a daddy’s girl and all. My ma, Baibin, went all catatonic when he died. Tongue waggin’ and-- I’m just takin’ the piss, she’s still up and about. Not very, on account of her lost-love, but who could blame her? Why aren’t I broken up about it? Happened when I was wee and you can’t stay wee forever, right? Oh, forgivers, I haven’t told you my name. Da would’ve had me bum red as a strawberry if he saw me go this far without giving my namesake. I’m Idette Rudelle and yes, I’m a real ginger. You caught me twixt red wine bottles so I’ll  be missin’ a few g’s throughout this.

What are your favorite TV shows?

I don’t watch much TV since I spend so much time with my best mate, Quinnie. Or teachin’ Art. Or I’m out and about, traveling the continent. Why stick around when there’s so much world to see? When I was wee, I used to watch things with my da and Quinnie. I won’t say the obvious but being English, there was a Doctor who was a big part of our lives. Reruns because it hadn’t had new episodes in ages. Music was a huge part of my and Quinnie’s lives, so we watched those top-40 shows. We also watched “Spaced” and “Coupling”. Oh! OH! Quinnie and I used to be MASSIVE fans of “At Home with the Braithwaites”. It was the perfect car wreck for years. Poor Virginia…

What songs are most played on your Ipod?

Can’t say that I have one of those. I love me music, don’t get me wrong, but I prefer my tunes comin’ from tangible sources. A CD is a bit clunky in this day and age, but I can where my music’s comin’ from. Well, not really. It’s all zeroes and ones, innit? My point being that I can hold a CD, not an MP3. Plus, my CD isn’t a slave to Apple. If the pome had a bad day, it could delete your songs quicker than Quinnie could rattle off Batman’s address. I love her but she’s such a geek. What songs do I listen to on a CD? Well, I’ve had Cascada’s “Evacuate the Dancefloor” in heavy rotation lately. I might go back to my first love, Kylie Minogue, in a bit. She’s a bewitching tart. Or maybe I’ll go even more classic and dig out some Stevie B.

What are you passionate about these days?

Hanging out with Quinnie again. It’s been a while and I miss her. She’s my milk-haired big-little sis.

What do you do to unwind and relax?

It may be a bit ironic, but nothing relaxes me like some hard and fast dance music. The more bangin’, the better. It bunches Quinnie’s panties something’ wicked because we’ll both be chill and I put on the latest by DJ Thump-Thump-Thump. So you can imagine that she tries not to relax when I’m in earshot.


What would we find under your bed?

I have no bloody idea. Let’s find out. There’s my other shoe! I’ve been lookin’ for that for weeks! Smells like it, too. What else is down here… a paintbrush, two t-shirts, last month’s issue of BPM… hey, a pound note! Looks like I’m eatin’ out tonight.


Do you have any special routines or rituals?

Not really. I mean, I’m not boring but I’m not mindful of everything I do. Wait, that makes me sound a tad irresponsible, doesn’t it? Ok, I breathe and I eat and-- Bloody hell, Idette, could you be MORE daff? Why not sit in the corner with the proper dunce hat? They still make ‘em your size: dumb. What do I do regularly? What do I do? Does not spending much time at the clothing store count? Because I routinely do that a lot. I just don’t see the point of all the shopping. Give me two pairs of pants and I’ll wear ‘em ‘til they fall apart in the wash. Quinnie’s SO different, though. She buys four pairs of pants and three skirts, and wears them to oblivion. Balmy, right? I’m just takin’ the piss, she’s quite manageable with her wears. Proud of her, really. How many people have parents who fall into money and don’t latch onto a few fresh notes? Righteous! One of my fave songs just came on the mix CD! Trinere’s “When I Hear Music”. Trust, mates, Freestyle’s comin’ back in a big way someday. What d’you mean you don’t know about Freestyle? It’s the 80s meetin’ disco in a spectacular treat for your senses! Spec-TAC-ular treat! SPEC-- Ah, shove off.


Is there a piece of advice that you have received that has really stuck with you? If so, what was it?

“Diamond girl, you make me feel like I’m on fire when you are near. Diamond girl, you’re my diamond girl. Ooo, oh, diamond girl…”

A surreal dramedy about four women who go on vacation to help one of their own through a life-changing decision.

I'm an all-around artist who's taking his first step into the world with being a novelist. I love films and they're my biggest inspiration when it comes to writing. Not so much about referencing films, although there's some of that in "Lie". Someone once told me that my writing style is like reading a film, which made me all sorts of proud.


No comments: