Thursday, November 14, 2013

Khet Chronicles: Blood Ties by Marcus Twyman: Interview and Excerpt

Khet Chronicles
Blood Ties
Marcus Twyman

Genre: Urban Fantasy

ISBN:  978-1461108184

Number of pages:  394
Word Count:  76,206

Cover Artist: Marcus Twyman

Book Trailer:

Book Description: 

Kalin Moshire and his stepbrother, Shane, struggle to survive the race of people known as the Nebu Khet, which they also happen to belong to. They are hunted because of Shane's heredity. He's half Homo Sapiens (sape) and Half Nebu Khet (khet). Kalin swore to protect him on the night his mother sacrificed herself to save their lives, but will he keep that promise or will unseen threats destroy them first.

From the cozy suburbs of Montgomery County, Maryland, to the busy streets of New York City, across the desert sands of Egypt, to the rocky cliffs of Ireland. Kalin must unravel the truths that have been hidden to him since childhood and fight for the right to live.

I know my limits have been reached tonight. As I stare at the angry pale face snarling at me from across the darkened room, I can feel the last of my strength dwindling down to nothing. My body keeps bleeding out its life’s blood and I can feel it gathering in pools around the spread fingers of my bruised and battered hands where I'm crouching on the concrete floor. I feel the weight of the power-laced air increase as my assailant hunches down into position for one last lunge and my gut tells me that this cold dark cellar may become my eternal resting place. In this moment there is an overwhelming sense that my life has become forfeit.

In this place where all odds are against me, I envision her face one last time.  Lifting my head slowly from the floor, I stare through the blood soaked strands of my hair at my opponent. His face is contorted into a mask of rage.  His teeth glisten in the darkness and there is no mistaking the bloodlust in those ancient, glowing, yellow eyes.

I go back to picturing her face again – the image is so vivid I can practically reach out and touch her. I remember her sweet scent and the sound of her voice. I can feel her soft skin as I reach up to place a hand on her cheek.

I can't die here, I can't leave her to fend for herself against my kind.  I must survive this. Focusing on my body, I concentrate

The moment that he decides to attack, I know it. As if in slow motion, his muscles begin to flex beneath the skin of his forearms and shoulders.  He rocks forward onto the balls of his feet like a cobra ready for the strike.

For a split second all I can register is the sound of my own heart beating...that’s when he launches himself from his side of the room towards me.  I propel myself forward with my own teeth bared and my claws fully extended. A low vibration rocks through my chest and explodes from my mouth. The awesome power of the  roar is like no other on this planet.  It’s the Nebu Khet's cry, and it always means death.

Tell us about your current release.
My current book, Khet Chronicles: Blood Ties, is a story that focuses on the lives of two brothers.

Kalin swore to protect his younger adoptive brother, Shane, from the supernatural race of people known as the Khet. Kalin’s own family was the ruling family of the American Khet clans, but then an uprising wiped them out. Now, as he leads his brother on a carefully walked path that winds between the world of the normal humans and the Khet, he finds that there are ancient secrets, plots, and enemies that he’ll need to face in order for Shane and himself to survive.

When in the day/night do you write? How long per day?
I am most definitely a night writer. My day is filled with work and crazy schedules, so during the night I get to relax and really focus on where my stories want to take me.

I try to write at least a few hours out of each day, but honestly, I write whenever I can.

What is the hardest part of writing your books?
The hardest part of writing my books is going through the edit/rewrite process. Most people do not realize that when you go through edits, you’re not just correcting grammar, you’re hacking away at major chunks of your story to make sure that everything aligns neatly.  This means that you’re basically rejecting large parts of a story that you in a sense, gave birth to.

What does your significant other and family think of your writing career?
My family loves the fact that I write. It’s actually rather funny because a lot of my family members swear that I’m basing characters off of them, when in reality I’m not. It’s great to have such a strong foundation set in place by my family.

What was one of the most surprising things you learned while writing your books?
I learned that my stories have a mind of their own! Sometimes I’m thinking of dialogue or plot changes and the next thing I know, I’m moving my story away from the original path that I had set it on.  Writing takes you over.

How do you describe your writing style?
I would say that my style is fast paced and easy to relate to emotionally. I write with the purpose of making my readers feel something. I don’t just want you to follow the story, I also want you to understand what the characters are going through.

I am currently reading both Christopher Rice’s new book, The Heaven’s Rise, and his mother, Anne Rice’s new book, The Wolves Of Midwinter. Love these two authors!

About the Author:
Marcus Twyman has lived most of his life in Montgomery County, Maryland. Since he was a child he's enjoyed writing stories, songs, and poetry - using the power of words as a therapeutic release for his feelings and emotions.
Now living in New York City, Marcus has been slowly adapting to the bustling concrete jungle and is incorporating his new experiences into his writing.

Amazon Buy-Link:


No comments: