Sunday, October 27, 2013

Dark Angel by T.J. Bennett: Characater Interview


Character interview of Catherine Briton, my Victorian heroine from Dark Angel: A Gothic Fairy Tale, a former Nightingale nurse and benefactress of the Benevolent Home for Disadvantaged Children, who is stranded on an island in the Irish Sea.


Where do you dream of traveling to and why? If it were possible, I would love to go back home to London, where the children I care for still reside. I worry about them constantly; I would like to know that they are safe. They have had so few blessings in their lives, but I firmly believe the Benevolent Home can give them the chance they need to escape the squalor of London’s streets.

Tell us about your family. I find my family difficult to talk about. I have lost so many I love to Death; still, I am grateful to have had the time I had with them, and one must move on, mustn’t one? If I am to be useful to others, I cannot allow the tragedies of my past to overcome the triumphs of the present. One must press forward, as Miss Nightingale would say.

What was the scariest moment of your life? Oh, without a doubt, the shipwreck that brought me to the shores of Ynys Nos, where my savior found and rescued me. Of course, he is a very enigmatic man, and his servants are only allowed to call him Master. I call no man Master, but I have agreed to call him Gerard since he refuses to tell me his family name. Somehow, I suspect it secretly pleases him when he hears his name upon my lips, for he smiles when I call him that and becomes quite annoyed when I don’t.


What books have most influenced your life? How interesting; Gerard asked me nearly the same question. I told him this:


Shakespeare’s sonnets.” I smiled up at him. “You will never believe it. A few years ago, I answered the gentlewoman Florence Nightingale’s call to nurse our army’s soldiers during Britain’s campaign in the Crimean Theater. I was able to take only a few books with me. The Holy Bible and the Sonnets were my favorites.”

“Why those two?”

“In the midst of war, I wanted something to remind me that love survives.”


Morning Person? Or Night Person? How do you know? I am a morning person, which does create difficulties since Gerard is most definitely a night person. I love the freshness of the sea breeze coming off the ocean while the sun rises lazily in the sky. There is nothing more pleasurable than the idea of starting each day over with a clean slate. We get to make new choices, forget the past, and forge our own destiny every day, and the morning light reminds us of that.


What is your favorite meal? The one that is eaten with the people I love.

Dark Angel
TJ Bennett
When young widow Catherine Briton is washed ashore, the sole survivor of a violent shipwreck, all she wants is to go home to London. But injured as she is, she can’t escape when a shadowy stranger rescues her and takes her to his castle—where she’s healed with suspicious, almost magical speed.

The more time Catherine spends in the castle, the more her curiosity rises where her fiercely handsome new "master," Gerard, is concerned. As she begins to investigate, though, her discoveries only bring more questions. It seems Gerard isn't the only one on the island keeping secrets…

The small town is full of strange mysteries and townspeople who know more than they should about her. And when a hulking beast that stalks the nearby hills and valleys catches up to her, Catherine must figure out what’s going on before it’s too late.
TJ Bennett has been writing for publication since 2000, but she’s been interested in it a lot longer than that. It wasn’t the best of books that got her writing, however; it was the worst. After slamming one particularly awful novel against the wall and complaining to her husband, “I can do better than that,” he challenged her to “just do it.” That was all the encouragement she needed.Since then, TJ has placed in over a dozen literary contests, including the Pacific Northwest Writers Association’s mixed-genre contest, the Daphne du Maurier mystery contest, the Holt Medallion, the Book Buyers Best, and many others. In 2005, she received a nomination in RWA's Golden Heart paranormal category for her novel, Dreamweaver. In 2006, The Justice Seeker, a paranormal romance about an alien cop, received first, second, and third place, respectively, in the three well-known and highly respected contests in which it was entered. Her first published novel,The Legacy, a historical romance set in Early Reformation Germany about the destructive nature of secrets, was released in April 2008 (Medallion Press). Her second, The Promise, a follow on to The Legacy, was released in May 2009.
TJ has been a judge for several contests, including the Golden Pen, the Emily, the Golden Heart, and the RITA, and she has led plotting and characterization workshops for several writers’ groups. She also served as the editor for the Los Angeles Romance Authors award-winning newsletter, The LARA Confidential, as well as contributing several articles.
Her varied background includes extensive travel in her youth as a military dependent in Europe; being president of her own consulting business for several years, where she used the Myers-Briggs Type Indicator to help CEOs and managers develop successful work teams; and working thirteen years as a civilian contract negotiator for the US Air Force, buying multi-million dollar satellite and weapons systems.
She returned to her first love of writing in 2000. Armed with a BA and an MA in English, she also taught college level English and edits dissertations and novels.
TJ knows a lot about the black moments of life, and uses that knowledge to enhance her writing. She believes that nothing is ever lost, and no painful experience is in vain: it’s all research.





1 comment:

TJ Bennett said...

Thank you so much for giving me the opportunity for your readers to get to know Catherine!