Sunday, October 27, 2013

Black Water Creek by Robert Brumm: Interview

Welcome Robert!  It’s great to have you back here with your newest book! Tell us about your current release.

Black Water Creek started out as a cookie cutter romance-heavy book aimed at female readers. I sold out in an effort to gain sales in a different genre. I admit it. Girl escapes abusive boyfriend, starts over in a new town, finds true love, and lives happily ever after. I outlined the whole story in a matter of days and as you might imagine, it wasn’t all that original and pretty predicable. As I got writing, I veered from the outline and the story became more “me” as I added a supernatural and horror element with some mystery to keep the reader guessing. I’m hoping the end result is a page turner that will keep you up past your bedtime and make you leave the light on once you put the book down.


What do you think makes a good story?


Simple. A story that keeps you from doing something else. A story that somehow sneaks in a few extra pages or chapters long after you decided to take a break. A story that you think about when you’re not reading the book. That’s what makes a good story. Now if I could only figure out a way to guarantee it in my own work…


How do you develop your plots and your characters? Do you use any set formula?


I mentioned an outline earlier, but Black Water Creek was the first time I’ve done any serious pre-planning. Usually, I come up with a single premise - a what-if question. For example: What if aliens invaded during the zombie apocalypse? Then I write the answer and let the story unfold as it goes. Sometimes I’ve written myself into corners working this way so I outlined this time. Even though I veered off course many times with my BWC outline, it did help me out.


How do you react to a bad review of your book?


If depends if I agree with the complaints or not. Sometimes I’ll get constructive criticism that rings true and I know it. It’s a humbling and learning experience I can use in the future that I welcome. Other bad reviews are so over the top that I get a good laugh from them. Those don’t bother me at all and most readers will see through flimsy reviews with no legitimate complaints. Once or twice a reviewer has implied that all my good reviews must be fake or paid for because in their mind, nobody could enjoy something they hated so much. This not only disrespects those people who enjoyed my work and gave good reviews but also implies that I’m dishonest. Nothing funny about that.


Are the names of the characters in your novels important?  How and why?


I have a lot of fun with names. I always try to name characters in my books after real people in my life. I usually don’t tell them ahead of time and if they read it, it’s a fun little surprise. Get to know me so you can get a character in my next book!


What do you find most rewarding about writing?

I love everything about writing but the most rewarding thing is the relationships I’ve gained because of it. I absolutely love hearing from readers. I’ve gotten messages from all over the world from people of all ages who share things with me. I can’t begin to describe how rewarding that is. I’ve gained many Facebook friends and feel like I have a small word-of-mouth army out there that has my back and I am truly grateful. You simply can’t beat a total stranger telling you how much they enjoyed something you worked hard to create. It’s the best.
Kelly Raney ends her relationship with her abusive boyfriend the day she leaves him bleeding on the bedroom floor after an exceptionally violent fight. She grabs their toddler son Keegan, and the two flee town with a few dollars and the clothes on their backs.

Her car breaks down outside the small village of Black Water Creek. She reluctantly stays with the local auto mechanic Ed Sheridan and his wife until she can get back on her feet. She lands a job, moves into an isolated cottage by the river, and dreams of a fresh start and stable life for her son.

Just when it seems like Kelly is getting her life together, visions of torture, rape, and murder, taking place in her own quaint cottage, plague her nights and haunt her days. To make matters worse, she suspects her ex has tracked her down, looking for revenge and threatening to destroy her new life.

Warning: This book is intended to be read by adults and may be unsuitable for children under 17. Contains some indecent language, descriptions of graphic violence, and sexual situations.
Robert Brumm lives in Southeastern Wisconsin with his wife and two children. He can be found during the day slaving over a hot server as a systems administrator. At night, if he's not drinking beer in front of the television or taking his puggle for a walk, you just might find him writing in the basement.
I love to hear from readers! Please feel free to reach out using:

Twitter: @robertbrumm

No comments: