Tuesday, September 10, 2013

The Search by Kelley Grealis: Spotlight and Excerpt


*** Warning – contains spoilers if you haven’t read The Descendant (book 1 in The Descendant Vampire Series) ***


Background Information

Allison Carmichael is the main character in The Descendant Vampire Series. In The Descendant (book 1), Allison struggled to find her life’s calling, but once it found her, she wished she hadn’t looked so hard. Discovering that she was the mortal descendant of the first vampire and the first of her kind to exhibit signs of vampirism, Allison faced an impossible decision – mortal death or eternal damnation.


The Search (book 2) picks up where Allison’s journey left off. Allison struggles to adjust to vampire life on her own and her illicit behaviors have caught the attention of vampires she didn’t know existed. Allison has a lot of questions – the whereabouts of her kidnapped husband, the reason she was the first of her kind – but when she discovers the answers, will they be what she was looking for?



A reporter who was covering stories on the serial killer in the Atlanta area conducted this interview. He was in the wrong place at the wrong time when he saw Allison kill her latest victim. The sharp reporter surmised that Allison was a vampire and asked for an interview. Allison decided to play along…at least for a little bit. After telling the reporter her life’s story, he had these questions…

Interviewer: “What was the scariest moment of your life?”

Allison: “The scariest moment of my life – my mortal life – was when I realized what Vincent had been telling me was true – that my symptoms, the ailments that no doctor could diagnose, were an indication of unimaginable evil. It was beyond comprehension how the Devil’s venom could be coursing through my veins and morphing me into a vampire. Realizing I had only 2 choices – transform into a vampire and damn my soul for eternity or wait and see what happened to my symptoms and risk my mortal death if I couldn’t control them – was overwhelming. I wanted to take my time and make that decision, but that decision was made for me by someone else.”

Interviewer: “That was the scariest moment of your mortal life. What has been the scariest moment in your new existence?”

Allison: “Nothing scares me. I’m a vampire. We’re the Devil’s greatest creation, pure evil…what could possibly scare a vampire?”

Interviewer: “What about your husband, Matt? He was kidnapped and you haven’t been able to find him. Aren’t you scared about what may have happened to him?”

Allison: (Bristles at the sound of her husband’s name) “I will find Matt, don’t you worry about that. His captor may have been successful in stealing him from my life, but I will not give up the search to find my husband. Next subject, please.”

Interviewer: (Interviewer clears throat & squirms in his seat after Allison’s last response.) “Are you a morning person or a night person?”

Allison: (chuckles) “Well duh, I’m a night person. I’m a vampire, a creature of the night. Although my species has evolved and we can walk in sunlight, I still prefer the cover of night. If I’m exposed to sunlight for too long, it’ll make my blood boil. Plus, it’s more fun to sneak up on an unsuspecting meal, I mean human, at night.”

Interviewer: (Interviewer shifts uncomfortably in chair.) “Well my next question was going to be what your favorite meal is, but I think you already answered that. But answer this. The coven that you belong to firmly believes in limiting mortal kills so that at the end of times your souls may be spared. They believe in balancing mortal and animal kills since you can’t survive without human blood. Since you’ve been on your own, have you found it difficult to balance animal and mortal hunts?”

Allison: (Sneers) “Are you insinuating that I’ve killed too many humans?” (Allison leans over table and stares down interviewer.)

Interviewer: “No, no, I’m not saying that. How about the next question? Is there a piece of advice you received that has stuck with you?”

Allison: (Relaxes, sits back in chair) “Yes, it was something my husband had said to me before I discovered what I was. He said, watch what you wish for. I was so desperate to find my life’s calling and never could have thought that it would have led me to this…becoming a vampire. I wish I would have heeded his advice. Maybe if I hadn’t searched so hard for my calling, my symptoms would never have developed.” (Drifts off before snapping back to reality.) “There is a piece of advice I have for you.” (Interviewer cocks head in anticipation.) “As a mortal, you shouldn’t hang around with vampires, especially a vampire who can’t control her appetite for human blood.”

End of Interview

The Search (Book 2 in The Descendant Vampire Series)
by Kelley Grealis
Allison Carmichael is thirsty for blood and hungry for answers.
Lured away from her illicit extracurricular activities by news about her kidnapped husband, Allison rejoins her adopted family that’s promised to help her find him. Allison's search is detoured, however, by sinister vampire politics, the seeming good will of her fanged family, and the return of her nemesis. Circumstances unfold that shatter the foundation of her world.
In order to successfully play the game she has been thrust into, Allison must battle loss and betrayal and accept unexpected love.

THE SEARCH is on for answers, but when answers are found, will they be what Allison was looking for?



Purchase links for The Search:
Amazon US  |   Amazon UK

Excerpt 8 from Chapter 15: Allison & Matt
I paced back and forth, my eyes fixated on the ground trying to suppress the anger building within me. I’d be damned if I was just going to let go of Matt because of what we each were and because others thought our kinds couldn’t be together. I stopped and faced him. “Since when did you ever give up on something you wanted, Matthew Carmichael? You still love me. I still love you. Nothing, and I mean absolutely nothing else matters.”

What do most people do when they go through a midlife crisis – buy a sports car or get a makeover? Not Kelley Grealis. Her career midlife crisis reignited her passion for creative writing.
A worker-bee by day, writer by night, Kelley is the author of The Descendant Vampire Series. When she’s not writing, she enjoys spending time with her husband and their two cats, riding her Harley, enjoying what few days of sunshine there are in Cleveland, and dreaming up the next story she wants to tell. Kelley is a graduate of both Baldwin Wallace College and Cleveland State University. Connect with her at http://www.KelleyGrealis.com

Mortal death or eternal damnation? If those were your choices, which would you choose? Allison Carmichael is frustrated with the doctors who can’t diagnose her seemingly common ailments. Her frustrations are further compounded by her inability to discover her life’s calling, a purpose she desperately desires yet which has eluded her for thirty years. A car wreck throws Allison into a life she doesn’t recognize filled with vampires, centuries-old secrets, betrayal, and vengeful enemies she never knew existed. When Allison discovers the source of her ailments and the truth about her biblical lineage, she wishes she hadn’t searched so hard for the answers she thought she wanted. Faced with an impossible decision – sacrifice her mortal life or damn her soul for eternity – which will Allison choose? And can she decide before the choice is made for her? THE DESCENDANT – A Vampire Tale of Biblical Proportions!

My review will be posted within a few hours.
I apologize for the slight delay.





Joelle Rider said...

Dropped by for a visit today !

Joelle @ Dropped by for a visit today !

Joelle @ http://angelswithattitudebookreviews-joelle.blogspot.com

Kelley Grealis said...

Hi Laurie - Thanks for hosting a stop on The Search's blog tour! I appreciate it!