10 THINGS YOU DIDN’T KNOW ABOUT THE GOD KILLERS
When I began writing The God Killers I had little idea, outside of what I had read in magazine articles and how to books, what all went into the act of writing a novel. I didn’t know whether I was a plotter or a pantser, I didn’t know that my characters would have their own voice and wrestle with me to make their voices heard. By the time I completed the novel I not only discovered quite a bit about my characters, but also about myself.
The manuscript and plot went through a number of changes in the course of writing it—for the better I think. What I didn’t realize at the time was that those changes would help to make for a great guest blog post in the future.
So without further ado, here are 10 things you didn’t know about The God Killers!
1) The concept for The God Killers was an expansion of a short story titled “Ivory” and much of that story appears as a chapter in the novel, with a few tweaks here and there.
2) The title is derived from the name of the weapons that the protagonist “Ivory Blaque” acquires during the course of the novel. The weapons are named “The God Killers” because they are the only weapons known to kill the mythological gods.
3) Although this is the debut of the character Ivory Blaque, this novel also introduces another character who will get a set of spin-off stories and possibly their own novel someday. I won’t spoil the reader’s fun and reveal the identity of the character here. STAY TUNED 4 DETAILS!!!
4) The character Antoine Valentine was originally a female vampire turned at the age of thirteen named Anastasia. To add a romantic foil element to the story I decided to spin the character into Antoine instead of Anastasia. It remains to be seen whether or not Anastasia’s character will make an appearance in further Ivory Blaque novels.
5) I chose to make Ivory’s gender female because I had been listening to Tupac’s “Keep Ya Head Up,” and wanted to portray a strong independent young woman, capable of making her own decisions and not dependent on a man to protect her or give her anything. This is homage to my grandmother, mother, wife and all of the other strong women out there.
6) The fictional universe that Ivory lives in has been affectionately dubbed, “The Ivoryverse,” and it is the springboard for many of my other speculative fiction writings.
7) The initial introduction to the Ivoryverse is through an unfinished novel that features Ivory’s cousin, Jayme Boudreaux as the protagonist. That novel may appear sometime in the future. STAY TUNED 4 DETAILS!
8) Ivory’s Great, Great Aunt (her grandmother’s Aunt) is named Valentina Boudreaux and she was an adventurer during the late 1800’s in
. New Orleans
9) Ivory Blaque’s looks/description is based off of an amalgam of celebrities including: Beyonce, Alicia Keys, Paula Patton and Jurnee Smollett.
10) When asked to describe The God Killers, I usually respond with this elevator pitch: “Anita Blake meets Lara Croft.”
And for the readers of Laurie T’s Paranormal Thoughts and Reviews, a bonus 11th!
11) The following characters were inspired in description to be similar to the respective celebrities:
a) Bishop = Duke Ellington/David Niven
b) Reginald Montgomery = Justin Hartley
c) Brody O’Keefe = Gerard Butler
d) Johnny Philcher = Matthew McConaughey
e) Antoine Valentine = Shemar Moore
f) Malik Tokugawa = Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson
g) Zaji = Iyanla Vanzant/Phyliss Yvonne Stickney
I want to thank Laurie T’s Paranormal Thoughts and Reviews for giving me the opportunity of providing a guest post to her blog!
Below are links to purchase The God Killers and to my author sites!
I hope that you enjoy it and remember TBIYTC (The Best Is Yet To Come)!!!
About John F. Allen: John F. Allen is an American writer born in Indianapolis, IN. John began writing stories as early as the second grade and pursued all forms of writing at some point, throughout his career. John studied Liberal Arts at IUPUI with a focus in Creative Writing, received an honorable discharge from the United States Air Force and is a current member of the American Legion. John's debut novel, The God Killers was released in 2013 with Seventh Star Press.
John currently resides in Indianapolis, Indiana with his wife, son and daughter.
Website/Blog - www.johnfallenwriter.com
Facebook Author's Page - https://www.facebook.com/#!/johnfallenwriter
Twitter - https://twitter.com/johnfallen1970
Facebook Fan Club Page - https://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/650402134970441/
Book Synopsis: In The God Killers, the first book of The God Killers Legacy, former professional art thief Ivory Blaque is hired to procure a pair of antique pistols and gets much more than she bargained for when several attempts are made on her life.
Her client turns out to be a shadowy government agent who reveals that she is descended from a race of immortals, and that the pistols are linked to her unique heritage and the special psychic gifts she possesses. He uses the memory of her father to guilt her into working for him.
Ivory eventually gives in to his request, and in return, he presents her with her father's journal, which was written in an unbreakable code. Bishop believes that she is the only one capable of breaking the code and unlocking the plans of the vampire hierarchy. But when the city's top vampire is a sexy incubus with an attraction for her and she's assigned a hot new lycan enforcer to protect her, she finds herself caught between two sets of rock hard abs.
To regain her autonomy, clear her name, unlock the secrets of her past, and protect the lives of those closest to her, Ivory must play along with the forces trying to manipulate her. Ivory's life is rapidly spiraling out of control and headed for an explosive conclusion which she just might not survive.
Amazon Links for The God Killers:
Other eBook Formats
Tour Schedule and Activities
9/23 A Haunted Head Interview
9/23 Azure Dwarf Promo Spotlight
9/24 SpecMusicMuse Review
9/24 Come Selahway With Me Guest Post
9/24 The Dan O’Brien Project Promo Spotlight
9/25 Bee’s Knees Reviews Review
9/26 Beauty in Ruins Review
9/27 Readings Sunshine Promo Spotlight
9/27 Word to Dreams Promo Spotlight
9/27 Armand Rosamilia, Author Guest Post
9/28 Sheila Deeth Character Interview
9/28 Laurie’s Thoughts and Reviews Guest Post
9/28 Workaday Reads Review
9/29 Jess Resides Here Author Interview
9/29 Illuminite Calginosus Promo Spotlight