Saturday, September 7, 2013

For the Love of Jazz by Elke Feuer: Character and Author Interview and Excerpt


 



 


Jose Fagan is the heroine in Elke Feuer’s debut novel, FOR THE LOVE OF JAZZ

What do you do to unwind and relax?

With a glass of red wine and listening to Billie Holiday.


If you could apologize to someone in your past, who would it be?
My mother. I’d tell her sorry for hating her weakness and not dealing with her depression.

 

Who should play you in a film?
Zoe Saldana with shorter hair.

 

What would we find under your bed?
Oodles of design samples and books on architecture. I can’t get enough of them.

 

What is something people would be surprised to know about you?

That I get on stage and sing jazz. It totally contradicts my introvert personality.

 

 
 
 


 
Restoration Architect, Josie Fagan gets more than she bargains for when she agrees to restore an old Chicago home. She's haunted by ghosts, and stalked by a killer trying to cover up a 50 year-old murder.
 
 
 
Where to get the book?

Amazon  |  iBookstore  |  Amazon.co.uk  |  Amazon.ca  |  eBooks
 


CHICAGO 1959

Please meet me, it’s impor­tant! Lola pulls her knee length coat closer to her petite frame and sup­presses the tickle of fear at the base of her spine. It’s late, but she can’t ignore her friend’s urgent request.
Cool night air rustling through the leaves is the only noise. Vis­i­tors to the park are gone, leav­ing behind dark empty walk­ways and over­flow­ing garbage bins. Crunch­ing leaves and strange noises in the black dis­tant start her heart rac­ing. This is a bad idea!
She sees her friend com­ing in the dis­tance and smiles in wel­come and relief. As they draw closer, there is no smile in return. Nor­mally cool but invit­ing eyes shine with mal­ice. Lola’s eyes widen in sur­prise when a gun is pointed at her. Before she can scream, the sting and burn­ing of flesh seize her as bul­lets from the out­stretched gun enter her shoul­der once, twice. She falls to her knees.
Her eyes fill with hor­ror as real­ity sets in. “Why?”
Silent hate glares from behind the bar­rel of the gun and another bul­let fires, this time hit­ting her leg.
“Help!” she screams. Her gaze shifts fran­ti­cally down lonely side­walks. No one is com­ing. It crushes her like the pain tear­ing her apart.
Another shot fires and hits her other leg and Lola knows she is meant to suf­fer first. She raises her hand in a frail attempt to stop the bul­lets. It doesn’t make a dif­fer­ent. The gun fires again and blood pools around her and the icy ground beneath her fingertips.
Hot tears spill as she thinks of William. If she’d lis­tened to her intu­ition she could be spooned against him instead of dying in the dirt like an ani­mal aban­doned by its owner.
She doesn’t want to die and leave him or the hap­pi­ness she’d found. She screams until her lungs burn with the sen­sa­tion they’ll burst from the strain.
Anger boils the blood still run­ning through her veins. She longs to take the gun and shoot back. Have them feel her pain. To feel the agony of regret: words left unspo­ken, unshared kisses and things left undone, the fear of the unknown that lies in the dark­ness swirling in the dis­tance, and the anguish of the unan­swered ques­tion. Why?
She remem­bers the offered friend­ship, smiles, and the laugh­ter they shared. It was all a lie! Heartache crushes her, dulling the pain of her phys­i­cal wounds. “This isn’t over,” she vows even as life begins to drain from her weak frame.
“You’re over,” is spat back at her.
Images of the moment she met William, their first kiss, and their love­mak­ing flick­ers like a movie before her closed eyes. She won’t share the rest of this life with him, bear his chil­dren, or grow old with him, but she takes com­fort in know­ing she’ll see him again, love him again and no one will take it away. She clings to the hope she can wait for William until they are together again. Yes, she’ll wait. Silent calm seeps in as her life slips away.



 



Welcome Elke! Thanks for stopping by to answer my questons. 

As a child, what did you want to be when you grew up?

I wanted to be two things more than anything; an astronaut and a writer. Strange combination I know, but I love to write, and I’ve always wanted to go into space.  


Does your significant other read your stuff?

He reads my blogs, but not my books. People find that unusual, but he’s not a big reader. He shows his support in other ways: watching the kids so I can write, helping with chores around the house, and I know he’d wear a silly T-shirt to promote me.


Do you listen to music while writing? If so what?

I write better with music. It drowns out all the noise in my head so I can concentrate on writing. My favorite is salsa and jazz.

 
If you were to write a series of novels, what would it be about?
Serial killers. I find them fascinating. What made them who they are and why they kill the way they do. My next project is a mystery/thriller series and includes two killers n the stories.

 

Do you have any suggestions for beginning writers? If so, what are they?
If it’s your dream, don’t give up. Ever!

 

What do you find most rewarding about writing?

I love to encourage people to follow their dreams including writers and I burst into tears or a big smile when people tell me I inspired them to follow their dreams. It’s also great when a reader is as excited about my story and characters as I am.

 

 


I was born and raised on Grand Cay­man and became their first published romance author. I live there with my hus­band and two won­der­ful kids (one of each) who keep me on my toes. I love to read and let my hus­band chase me around the house with a dish rag. I have a check­list for every­thing under the sun, and let my son drive me crazy with his ques­tions of what I’d do if he was a wiz­ard.  I have a sarcastic/quirky sense of humor not every gets.  

My first book, For the Love of Jazz, is a romantic suspense. I stumbled into writing suspense and found I really enjoyed it along with writing about serial killers. I write other genres to even out my dark side, but no genre is safe because char­ac­ters keep telling me their crazy sto­ries and I’m a sucker for a crazy story.

Connect with Elke at:
 



 
An island sampler: jerk sauce and pepper jelly. (US Only)
 
 
 
 

 

No comments: