Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Ever Near by Melissa MacVicar: Character Interview, Review, and Excerpt



Where do you dream of traveling to and why?

I would love to go to Paris. Everyone says Paris is the most romantic place in the world and so full of culture. I want to go there because maybe it would transform me into a romantic, highly cultured person. HA! Like that would ever happen. Seriously, I want to go everywhere. I wish I had the money to travel around the whole entire world but I know that’s not going to happen. I can barely get my mother to buy me a plane ticket to Colorado to see my dad.

Tell us about your family.

My family? Ugh, it’s complicated. My dad and my mom got married because Mom got pregnant with me. They went to Northeastern University together in Boston. Luckily, my mom was able to finish nursing school and dad finished his degree in hotel and restaurant management. Then they moved to Nantucket because my dad got a job here at a resort and nurses are needed everywhere.

When I was 12, my parents got divorced. This was all my mom’s fault because she said she didn’t love my dad anymore. My dad was so bummed, he moved to Colorado to get away from her. And now my mom is getting married to Mike Dowler who’s really rich and I’m going to have two step brothers. So yeah, you can see how this is complicated. 

What was the scariest moment of your life?

Scary moments happen every time I see a ghost because they are so unpredictable. I think the worst ghosts where the first ones, when I was little, because I had no idea what was happening to me. I thought I might be crazy or something.

What is your favorite meal?

I love having sushi at Sushi by Yoshi with my dad. We used to go out for sushi when mom worked nights and being with my dad alone at a restaurant made me feel so grown up. Plus, even though Sushi by Yoshi is an old building downtown, it doesn’t have any ghosts. Now that my dad lives in Colorado, I only get takeout from there. And when he comes to visit, which almost never happens, we go there because it’s our special father daughter place.

What group did you hang out with in high school?

I’m a drama/music girl along with my best friend Ally. She’s more the drama though and I’m more the music. I play clarinet, piano, and bass guitar and I sing soprano in our music group called The Accidentals and the Naturals at Nantucket High School.

Do you play any sports?

Let’s just say that sports and me don’t get along. Everyone thinks I should be great at sports because I’m half black and I’m tall but I hate anything that requires me to run. Seriously, I am always making up excuses to get out of gym class. Yuck.

What would we find under your bed?

Ew! Don’t look under my bed! Who knows what embarrassing stuff might be there like panties or bras. Actually, at my new house I share with my step-family, the Dowlers, the space under my bed is immaculate. We have a cleaning crew come once a week. At the rental duplex I used to live in with just my mom, you would have probably found a million dust bunnies and dryer sheets and stray socks.

You just won a huge lottery what is the first thing you'll buy?

I would buy myself a house with no ghosts in it and I would make my dad move back to Nantucket and live in it with me. That would be totally awesome!

Love is ever near. But trouble is never far.

Nantucket Island is haunted, but only sixteen-year-old Jade Irving knows it. Ignoring the disturbing spirits isn’t an option, because one dwells in the enormous historic home she shares with her newly blended family. Jade is finding it more and more difficult to explain away Lacey’s ghostly, anguished tantrums, especially with Charlie, her gorgeous, almost step-brother, living right across the hall.

When a power-hungry ghost hunter tracks down Jade and blackmails her, Jade’s secret teeters on the edge of exposure, and her entire future hangs in the balance. If anyone finds out Jade can talk to ghosts, her life will be forever changed.

Can she save herself, free Lacey, and hang on to her tenuous connection with Charlie? Or will everything she ever wanted slip through her fingers?


Here are the links where the book is available:
Book Page on Red Adept Pub.

5 stars

As soon as I began reading I was pulled under the spell of this book.  Nothing was as I expected. The ghosts Jade sees and hears are nasty, spiteful, dangerous and frightening.  These spirits are malevolent and angry.  Jade has kept her secret safe for sixteen years – fearing no one would believe her and apprehensive that she would be institutionalized as mentally unbalanced.

Jade and her mother have just moved into a huge house on beautiful and affluent Nantucket Island. Unfortunately, the house is haunted, and the poltergeist is causing Jade serious physical harm and mental anguish.  After Charlie, her soon-to-be step-brother witnesses a couple of unexplained events, he manages to wheedle some information out of Jade.  He is skeptical, but seeing the toll the episodes have taken on Jade, he does his best to protect her.

I loved this story! It was so original, with terrifying ghostly encounters that chilled me.  There were so many other things that set this one apart from similar stories, too.  There were many contrasting forces at work throughout, including socio-economic considerations  and racial differences. Relationships are complicated, and Ms. MacVicar deftly engages the reader’s intellect while steering away from most of the worn-out stereotypes.  Jade is supremely likable; her youthful voice is fresh, funny, and beguiling. I am looking forward to the next adventure.

This book was given to me by the publisher in exchange for my honest review.

Reviewed by Laurie-J


Melissa MacVicar has lived most of her life on Nantucket Island. A true native, she’s able to trace her ancestry back to the island’s first settlers. After attending The Pingree School, she went on to graduate from Franklin and Marshall College with a degree in English. She also received a master’s degree from Boston University School of Social Work. When she turned forty, Melissa decided to renew her adolescent passion for fiction writing. Having once thought writing a novel to be an impossible dream, she’s proud to be achieving her childhood ambition.

 Melissa currently lives with her husband and two children on Nantucket where she teaches 7th grade Writing Composition. When she isn’t teaching, parenting, and writing, Melissa enjoys running, eating expensive chocolate, and watching her beloved Patriots. 



Melissa MacVicar said...

Thank you for being on the tour!

Goldenmane said...

Sounds quite intriguing.

Kimberly said...

Fun post -- I love ghost stories, especially with sinister ghosts.