Friday, August 2, 2013

Last Day by Richard LaPlante: Interview



 
 
 
How did you start your writing career?
 
My rock band, Revenge, had just broken up and I was at loose ends, so I wrote a video to re-launch myself. The video was picked up by a famous film producer; we signed a film deal in England and a big publishing contract for book rights. I intended to use a ghost writer, thinking I'd be too busy making the film. The film fell through and I was left with the book deal, so I became a book-writer by default. 
 
Tell us about your current release.
 
Last Day is a paranormal thriller with a twist. It’s a tale of loyalty and revenge and explores the near death experience along with a basic questioning of the fabric of reality.
 
What was your first sale as an author?
 
A fantasy-fiction book titled Tegne, Warlord of Zendow. It was the project that was intended to be a feature film, starring me as Tegne. It was first published by Penquin in England. I wrote the book in longhand at a desk in Mayfair, London. It took about a year.
 
When in the day/night do you write? How long per day?
 
I prefer to write first thing in the morning. I use a digital egg-timer, set in 20 minute increments. If I make an hour, with breaks, I think I've done well. But I must get twenty minutes. Does not sound like much, but there's usually 23 hours preparation while I think of where I'm going with the book. The desk time is just getting it out. Four hours is a marathon.
 
Where do you research for your books?
 
Life has been my greatest research. I like to have experienced the things I write about, the feelings and sensations, even the martial arts, which I studied for nearly twenty years. Failing that, I use the Internet.
 
What do you think makes a good story? 
 
Something, anything, with the ring of truth. I can smell fake from a mile away, so I try and keep my work, including fiction, as real as I can. 
 
When's the last time you played that musical instrument?
 
Yesterday. Recording a track for our upcoming Ear Movie - Hog Fever, based on one of my memoirs. I began with a guitar, writing lyrics, and the urge to play and write music has never gone away. Just that now I get to work with Grammy-winning music producer, Greg Penny. It’s a dream come true; late, but better late than never! 
 
 
 
 

Last Day

by Richard LaPlante

Charlie Wolf is an undercover cop assigned to infiltrate the Sons of Fire motorcycle club, suspected of manufacturing and distributing methamphetamine up and down the East Coast. Charlie’s been undercover for a long time—long enough to have broken the two cardinal rules of his work. He’s forged a strong friendship with Ray Sasso, president of the Sons of Fire. And he’s become addicted to meth.

A near-fatal mistake during the attempted bust by the cops leaves a bullet lodged in the right temporal lobe of Charlie’s brain. Operating to remove it would likely kill Charlie. Living with it will change him forever.

Two men linked by a tangle of lies and twisted loyalties. Two men who could not be more different—or more the same. When they meet again, for one of them it will be the Last Day.

Buy Amazon | B&N | Kobo | Escargot Books


 

 About the Author

Richard LaPlante is the author of the popular Fogarty-Tanaka series of crime fiction novels as well as three memoirs. Last Day is his first paranormal thriller and explores his longtime interest in human consciousness and the Near Death Experience. A musician and lifelong student of martial arts, Richard lives with his two sons in the sunny mountains of Ojai, CA and is a founding director of an independent publishing company, Escargot Books, where he blogs regularly.
Currently, Richard is also working on Hog Fever, an Ear Movie — a movie without pictures — based upon his motorcycle memoir Hog Fever and starring Academy Award nominee Terence Stamp, produced by Grammy award winner Greg Penny and directed by British rock icon Kevin Godley.

website - http://richardlaplantebooks.com
facebook - https://www.facebook.com/richard.laplante.1428
twitter - https://twitter.com/richlaplante




Follow the Book Tour








The author is giving away a $50 iTunes card. Fill out the form to Enter
a Rafflecopter giveaway




No comments: