Saturday, August 10, 2013

Dangerous Dreams (A Dreamrunners Society Novel) by Aileen Harkwood: Character Interview

 







Character Interview with Lara Freberg, heroine of Dangerous Dreams by Aileen Harkwood

 

Where do you dream of traveling to and why?

 

Anywhere safe with my fianc√©, Jack. Now that I know who I am, that I’m a dreamrunner, I know my life will never be the same. We’re never going to be completely safe, not when there are people who want to see every dreamrunner dead or under their control.

 

But you’re right. I do dream. Sometimes I dream of going home to Maryland where I used to live and visiting all my favorite places, the Deli run by the Polish mom and son, with poinsettias growing in the windows like Christmas all year round. Or this really perfect stretch of beach. Not perfect for swimming, because it’s mostly mud, but perfect for watching the shorebirds. I’ll miss my local library. It was quiet and smelled really good. Can books smell differently depending on the library?

 

All those places are off-limits. Forever. So I just have to cherish the memories and, you know, move on.

 

As far as exotic destinations go, I’ve always had this fantasy about shopping at a spice market in Morocco. The other day, I added Jack. We stop to eat in this restaurant where each booth is its own intimate room. We’re sitting on cushions across from each other, forbidden to touch, except to feed one another exotic delicacies. Jack would growl and think it’s stupid, but I’m sure I could get him to play the game. Once I broke the rules, that is.

 

Tell us about your family.

 

Blood relations? Or family? If we’re talking relatives, I don’t have any left. My mother and father, Sandra and Hugo, were both killed when a train derailed in my hometown and exploded. Our house was just a block and a half from the tracks. It was my first year away at U of M. My brother…it will be three years ago next month since Pieter died in Iraq. Everyone always assumes it was an IED, one of those Improvised Explosive Devices? Or that a sniper got him. Nope. He died in an accident. He was flying to a small town outside Bagdad on a mission when their chopper went down. No one shot them. It just went down. Mechanical failure.

 

Now, if you’re asking about family, that’s where I’m blessed. It’s true. My life will never be the same, but thanks to Jack I have family I never knew existed in The Dreamrunners Society. There’s Poppy, my new BFF, and I consider her partner, Rafe, and Jack’s boss, Gavin, family as well. Every day, with each new person I meet in the society, I understand that I’m not alone.

 

What was the scariest moment of your life?

 

I don’t want to think about that now. Not yet. Thinking about the Greys, what they did, well. I don’t. Besides, I’m afraid the scariest moments for all of us in the society are still ahead.


As a child, what did you want to be when you grew up?

 

A Pterodactyl. No really. There was a time for about 10 minutes when I was a kindergartener, when this boy in my class told me you could grow up to be an animal instead of a human, and I believed him. So I decided I wanted to be a Pterodactyl. They were the dinosaurs that flew. I think that’s where my love of birds came from and how I ended up working at the biopark before I had to give up my old life.


Do you play any sports?

 

Does walking and talking at the same time count? I love to hike and have the nasty habit of spontaneously breaking into lectures about whatever natural phenom I’m observing for anyone who doesn’t have the survival instincts to run the other way, but beyond the walking and talking thing? Uh…

 

What is something people would be surprised to know about you?

 

Everyone here at The House thinks I should be in mourning over the loss of my old life. They expect me to be moody or depressed that I can never be the same person or do the same things again, or see anyone from my old life, ever. And I am. But there’s another part of me that’s excited about starting over from scratch, clean slate, no history, different name for the outside world, new passport and ID. Starting new is like having hope in what life can be, the way you still did when you were a teenager.

 

Oh, and another thing. I’m a Swede, but I hate Swedish food, even Swedish meatballs. Give me marinara on mine any day.


What makes you happy?

 

Jack. It’s Jack all the way.
 
 

 
 
Sometimes danger comes in a dream...

Plagued by nightmares of terrorist bombings, Lara Freberg is a so-called Lost One, unaware of her psychic gift for literally being in two places at once. While her true body sleeps, her twin is helplessly drawn to scenes of unspeakable horror. Kidnapped by a corrupt, CIA-like organization determined to exploit her abilities, Lara is given no choice. Cooperate or die. Until the midnight spying missions that make her the willing prisoner of an erotic stranger. Does she dare trust him with her warning of a future attack on American soil?

Jack Mayfield will never forgive himself for being too late to free Lara from the Greys, The Dreamrunners Society's sworn enemies. An elite front line operative, Jack is able to find and save the Lost Ones no one else can. Nothing, however, can prepare him for the shock of losing the woman who holds the key to unlocking his war weary heart. Now Jack is in a race for her life. Lara's dreaming half may be able to drive him wild with passion, but can he believe her when she says the Greys haven't turned her against him and the Society?

It won't be easy to rescue his one true love from certain death.
 
 
 
 
 

 
 
Aileen Harkwood is a die hard fan of the mysteries, thrills and romances life has to offer and has wanted to write her own since she penned her first, safely-hidden-away-in-a-drawer-never-to-see-the-light-of-day novel in high school. She has a B.A. in Creative Writing, and resides in the Southern Rockies of the United States with her family, a fetch-addicted Labrador retriever and two cats named after birds.
 
 
 
 
 
 
blog  |  Twitter
 

 
 
The prizes are a $25 Amazon Gift Card and 5 free copies (Kindle) of Dangerous Dreams. The giveaway runs from 8/5 through 8/27.






4 comments:

Aileen Harkwood ~ Romance Author said...

Thanks so much for the feature post, Laurie! I REALLY enjoyed doing the character interview. Didn't realize how fun that could be!

REBECCA STEPHEN said...

This book sounds very good. I read the reviews on Amazon and I would love to read this book

Aileen Harkwood ~ Romance Author said...

Thank you, Rebecca! Just what an author loves to hear.

Chris Kruk said...

My kind of book