Thursday, July 25, 2013

King of Bad by Kai Strand: Interview


Everybody loves a bad boy and Jeff Mean is the King of Bad. He recently took time out of his busy schedule to answer some questions.


Tell us about your family.


My family, huh? I guess I don’t have it so bad. My dad is mister-laid back. The dude wears shorts and Hawaiian shirts all year long. He’s always got my back. Mother is a bit strict. Kind of cold, actually. I think she means well, but she and I don’t see eye to eye. She doesn’t like that the police are always coming to the door saying I was spotted near the scene of some recent crime. My sister Sandra is a pain in the butt. She’s always got to touch me when she passes by. Pats me on the back, socks me in the arm, messes up the hair. Something. So annoying. But other than that, she’s actually pretty cool. I kind of miss them now that I’ve moved to the academy.

What was the scariest moment of your life?


Most definitely when my fire came on. First my fingertips start throbbing like something in a horror movie and then flame shoots out. Actual, live flames. Holy crap, that was nuts!

What song is the most played on your Ipod?


Ha! Powerman 5000’s Super Villain – without a doubt. I even made it my ringtone after I learned that I am one.


What are you passionate about these days?

Staying alive! That’s probably a bit melodramatic, but sheesh, attending a school filled with super villains is really different than regular high school. You think your bullies are mean, they’ve got nothing on mine! Not only do villains not make friends, they simply don’t care if they offend you or hurt you or…well, they really don’t care about anything besides themselves. It is surprisingly hard to get used to. Which is why people keep accusing me of being recruited by the wrong supers, but I’m not a hero!

Who should play you in a film? 


Well, I don’t know any names of any actors, but it would have to be someone really good looking, of course. I mean, look at me! He’d need to have a way with the ladies, ‘cause I’ve always been able to charm the girls, and their mothers. And he’d have to be tall, because I’m 6’4” and I don’t want someone who doesn’t even reach the six foot mark to think he can even know what it’s like to be me.

What makes you happy?


Well, there’s this girl at my new academy. Man, she’s gorgeous. She’s a tiny little thing with black hair and sparkly blue eyes. Her super powers are to control water and she’s really good. Whenever I hear her laugh I get this feeling like – oh I don’t know – like Pop Rocks in my stomach. They call her Oceanus, because of her water powers. She’d make me even happier if she knew I existed.


If I came to visit early in the morning would you impress me as being more like a chirpy bird or a grumpy bear?


Dude, if you showed up early in the morning, I’d flamb√© you!




Jeff Mean would rather set fires than follow rules or observe curfew. He wears his bad boy image like a favorite old hoodie; that is until he learns he has superpowers and is recruited by Super Villain Academy – where you learn to be good at being bad. In a school where one kid can evaporate all the water from your body and the girl you hang around with can perform psychic sex in your head, bad takes on a whole new meaning. Jeff wonders if he’s bad enough for SVA.


He may never find out. Classmates vilify him when he develops good manners. Then he’s kidnapped by those closest to him and left to wonder who is good and who is bad. His rescue is the climactic episode that balances good and evil in the super world. The catalyst – the girl he’s crushing on. A girlfriend and balancing the Supers is good, right? Or is it…bad?


Add it to Goodreads




Kai Strand writes fiction for kids and teens. Her debut novel, The Weaver, was a finalist in the 2012 EPIC eBook Awards. As a mother of four young adults her characters are well researched and new stories are inspired daily. Kai is a compulsive walker, addicted to pizza and a Mozart fangirl. Visit her website for more information about her work and to find all her virtual haunts;

Kai Strand, author of: 
Beware of the White, This book was sooooooooooo good it was mind blowing. The details that were in every sentence made me jump into the book and I felt like I was in the book and living terra's life!” A Kid’s Review
King of Bad, Available NOW! - Jeff Mean wears his bad boy image like a favorite old hoodie, until he's recruited by Super Villain Academy - where you learn to be good at being bad. Jeff wonders is he bad enough for SVA?
Visit my blog, Strands of Thought
Writing is a socially acceptable form of schizophrenia.  ~E.L. Doctorow



Kai Strand said...

Hi Laurie!

Thanks for letting Jeff visit your blog! Glad he didn't torch anything while he was here. I appreciate you letting me share King of Bad with your readers.

Denise Z said...

This looks like a fun read, thank you for sharing. Loved the interview :)

Kai Strand said...

Glad you enjoyed it, Denise. Thanks for stopping in!