Saturday, July 6, 2013

Forced to Serve Boxed Set by Donna McDonald: Interview

 


 
 
 
                        How much of yourself is hidden in the characters in your books?

My guess is more than I am probably aware. I definitely think the science fiction based romances reveal the spiritual and theological issues that fascinate me. As for my characters, I think I work at becoming them in order to write their story. Each character and I become “one entity” for the duration of the book. This is likely why Malachi, my alien demon who lives in a host, is a natural creation for me. I am used to sharing my brain, body, and spirit with those I create.

                        How much of a story do you have in mind before you start writing?


I typically start with a scene that keeps playing over and over in my head like a min-movie. Sometimes it’s not even the beginning of a story, but rather just a fun, interesting scene happening among characters. If I like the scene well enough, another soon follows. If I find the scenes create a chapter, then I build around them to develop the book. Sometimes by the end of one book, I have this happening for the next. The Forced To Serve series has a lot of action in it. My imagination and I never get tired of thinking about it.

                        Can you tell us about your SciFi Romance Series?


The Forced To Serve series is primarily set around Captain Liam Synar and the crew of his rescue ship. They move through their version of the universe, of which Earth is a part, working for the Peace Alliance. Ambassadors of the Peace Alliance visit planets who are being recruited. Sometimes those diplomatic forays don’t work out and Synar’s crew is sent in to rescue the captured Peace Alliance official.

 

In the midst of the “work” of being a crew member, each character on the ship is dealing with their own issues. So alongside missions and romances, personal growth is taking place. I like to clearly see development in a character. Those in this series never disappoint me.

                        Will you write another book in the series?


Yes, and more than one. I am currently working on “The Demon’s Change” which is Book 5 of the series. It is Malachi’s story and I’ve been waiting with great anticipation to write it. After that, I have two more tentatively planned, but really don’t see the end of the series yet. Missions are endless. Members join the crew. Members leave the crew. It could go on and on. I suppose I will stop writing when I grow tired of the characters, but I don’t see that happening anytime soon. I’m having too much fun writing these.

                        How do you cope with writers block?


What is writer’s block? Just kidding. I do experience it occasionally, but fortunately not often. The best cure I have found is simply to stop writing and let the story rest. I play out scenarios in my head while I do tedious things like housework and laundry.  Bruce can always tell when I’m stuck because the house looks best then. It usually lasts a couple of days. I also find taking long walks helps. Really anything physical helps me.

                        What is the most difficult part of the whole writing process?


Editing. I try hard to make a perfectly edited book and never make it. Certainly some editing is subjective, but it takes me several revisions to make a title error free.

                        What do you like to read?


I read everything from books on Egyptology to cozy mysteries. I love romantic comedies. I love dragon books. I don’t read heart-wrenching true stories because I’ve had too many of those personally. I read non-fiction when I’m trying to change something in my life. I read what interests me no matter what rating or ranking it receives. I like science fiction, paranormal, and fantasy because it offers a true escape.

                        What writer influences you the most?


The list is too long to mention here. I admire the writer who writes the book they love. This is harder than it sounds because it requires keeping faith in your work alive for a very long time.

                        If your book was made into a TV series or Movie, which actors would you like to see playing your characters.


Oh, this would be a VERY exciting circumstance if it could happen. Do you think we can get Nathan Fillion of “Firefly” to play Captain Liam Synar?
 
 

 
This is Book 1 of the Forced To Serve series.

Being captain of his own rescue ship is the life Liam Synar has always dreamed of living. Being master of a hereditary demon is not. Coveting Malachi's power, his exiled evil brother hunts him, wanting to capture the demon that Liam's life mate now unknowingly hosts. Putting Malachi inside Ania two years ago had been an act to save her when she almost died saving his. If only the demon hadn't killed again.

*******
The Demon of Synar is a dark, thrill ride through space that starts the series with a bang. ~ Jesse Coffey, National Indie Examiner.com

Intense with detailed world building, The Demon of Synar is a compelling read packed into a novella sized piece laced with enough emotional angst that I sometimes forgot this was a sci-fi story. ~ Leanna, Two Lips Reviews, RECOMMENDED READ

I don’t normally read this genre because I am not really into futuristic stories set in space or stories that are about demon possession, but this one caught my attention and I thought I would give it a try. I am glad that I did because it was a good read. I can’t wait to read the sequel ~ Isis, Sizzling Hot Books
 
 
 


This is Book Two of the Forced To Serve series and approximately 102,000 words long.

Ania Looren would have chosen death over becoming a demon host, if she’d had a choice. But her mate Liam is master of the Demon of Synar, and made that decision for her in order to save her life. Her spirit now grieves for what she has become Ania fears the great harm she can cause using the demon’s power. Unfortunately, Liam’s reluctant embrace of being the demon's master, along with his refusal to discuss Malachi with her, leaves Ania facing her destiny alone. Their personal relationship war vacillates between full out conflict and a cease fire, yet she is drawn into becoming one of his crew. But can she really let the only male she’s ever wanted back into her bed without risking her heart?

*****
The Demon Master's Wife is dark but brilliant. Set in the future, the plot is riveting. It's tight, full of action, and if I hadn't been reading on the Kindle, I'd definitely have been turning pages fast and furiously. It's the same exquisite agony I have when I'm reading a Stephen King or Diana Gabaldon book – I can't read fast enough to find out what is going to happen next but I can't slow down enough to savor it as I want to. ~ Jesse Coffey, National Indie Examiner.com

The Demon Master’s Wife has well rounded, multi-faceted characters, a complex, yet engaging futuristic world, and a cliffhanger that I literally groaned at when I read it but excited me for the next installment. The author did a phenomenal job of making me feel like I was part of the Liberator’s crew. Ms. McDonald is definitely a double threat author with her multi-genre offerings and is one to watch. ~ Leanna, Two Lips Reviews
 
 
 
 
 
 

After 35 years of doing everything for a living except writing books, I finally published my first romance novel in March of 2011. Sixteen novels later, I am living my own "happily ever after" life as an author. I love writing romance. It is the best job I have ever had. I love to hear from readers and try to always answer back.
 
 
Thank you for reading my books. Hope you enjoy them.

 
 
 
 



No comments: