Sunday, July 28, 2013

Double Star by Cindy Saunders: Character Interview


Interview with seventeen-year old Ally Ashworth, main character in Double Star.


Hi Ally! It's such a treat to have you here. Thanks for agreeing to let us find out a little about you.  :)  Where do you dream of traveling to and why?


If you asked me this a week ago, I’d have a very different answer. I would’ve said I want nothing more than to find my way home. *sighs* But I’ve made some really good friends in this world ...friends who’ve become very important to me ... friends who have the power to actually transform into animals! I’m involved with ...  *blushes*  ... I’m in love with the most amazing guy and surprisingly enough, I think he loves me too. So, yeah, I still really want to go home but I want to take them all with me...

Tell us about your family.


I’m an only child. My parents weren’t even supposed to be able to have kids. *looks at the floor, exhales loudly* But my, uh, dad died unexpectedly a few years ago ... some type of virus.   It was a really hard time for us. We were caught totally off guard. So it’s just me and my mom.*smiles* She drives me crazy but we’ve become closer than I ever imagined. I miss her. But, right now, I’m over here and she’s over there. I know losing us both would kill her.

What was the scariest moment of your life?


Other than my father dying?   Waking up in the forest of Gilgamesh. I knew there was something wrong the minute I opened my eyes but it took me a while to figure it all out. When I saw Liam’s friends transform, that’s when I was definitely scary at first, but I guess I’m getting used to it!

What group did you hang out with in high school?


        I really didn’t hang with anyone. I have only one good friend back home. That’s part of the reason I feel so special here. These guys  ...  *smiles* Take Shane. He’s intimidating but good-natured. He’d make a great defensive end or class clown. Either way, he’d attract friends like a magnet. Ian. He’s harder to read than the others. He’s quiet, but brave and smart. Honor club maybe, or quarterback. Something that requires brains and brawn. Oisin. He’d fit in with the pseudo-hippie crowd, trying to sniff out a good time wherever he could find it. He’d hang around the school, ditch class, and chase girls.

Then there’s Corm. He’d be a member of the poetry club. Soft spoken, but not shy. He wouldn’t pretend to be something he isn’t just to fit in. He’d avoid the drama. The girls would love him but he wouldn’t get involved unless it’s something special.

And then ... there’s Liam.  *shakes her head* He’d fit in anywhere. He’s smart, funny ... really hot. The girls’d be all over him. Hmmm ... everything has really changed for me.

What makes you happy?


Right now ... being with Liam. He’s everything I’ve dreamt about. I honestly can’t and don’t want to imagine life without him...

Here is one final question for you.  What one word best describes you?


*Thinks a moment*  Resilient, I guess. Think about it. I fell off a cliff, landed in another world, very different from my own but I’m still trying to keep things in perspective. A lot of very positive things have come out of it but there’s some negatives, too. *lowers her voice* This Cepheus guy wants me ... my necklace. I honestly have no idea why. And I’m beginning to think I’m putting all my friends in danger because of it. There are some serious unknowns ahead but I’m determined to try and find my way home. And honestly? I can’t think of a better, stronger group of friends to be with right now. I just have to hope we’re not in over our heads...

Double Star


When Cepheus, a dark god, forces seventeen-year-old Ally Ashworth off an isolated overlook, she has no idea she's falling into his world, or that the necklace she’s wearing is actually a key—one with the power to ignite the next world war. But she’s carried beyond his reach and into the one place where he’s powerless... the forest of Gilgamesh.

Ally’s never been Miss Popularity, but her outsider status takes on new meaning when she’s rescued by Liam Cheveyo and his peculiar friends. After seeing them shape-shift into their freaky animal counterparts, Ally smacks hard into a few truths—magic really does exist and, although getting there took no effort, finding her way back might be impossible.

Feelings between her and Liam begin to grow along with the realization that, in this world, she’s stronger and better... until she’s caught in a trap set by the creepy spider-boy Cepheus sends to retrieve her. But Ally’s not going down without a fight, not after learning the horrible truth about the passageways.

The survival of both worlds depends on it.

Cindy Saunders


Cindy Saunders was born in Lowell, MA. She moved to RI almost twenty-five years ago and now
considers the Ocean State her home. She graduated from Bryant College with a Bachelor’s Degree in Finance. When she’s not reading, writing, spending time with her two teenage children (how did that happen?) or working, Cindy tracks down one of her favorite local bands and enjoys a glass of wine. She completed her first novel, Double Star, a YA fantasy, in October 2012 and is currently
working on the second book in the series.

Double Star is her first novel.


1 comment:

Cindy Saunders said...

Thanks so much, Laurie!! Love your site!!!