Sunday, June 9, 2013

Eyes Like Blue Fire by Amanda M. Lyons: Interview


What do your significant other and family think of your writing career?

My fianc√© has always supported my writing. Of course I think it helps that he’s also a writer. Sasha doesn’t know yet because she’s only about 1 but Nikolai is fascinated with the idea. He tries to make up stories and asks my opinion on his ideas. He also asks a lot of very writerly “what if?” questions such as “what if the world was made of legos?”

As a child, what did you want to be when you grew up?

I actually didn’t think about what I wanted to be much at least not until I was about 12 and I wrote my first short story. My 6th grade teacher was very impressed and did a lot to encourage my interest in writing. Seeing that reaction, knowing that it had been caused by something I did felt very good. That’s when I decided I was going to be a writer.

Have you attended a high school reunion? What did you learn?

Yes the five year one. I learned that I really wasn’t the outcast I thought I was. In fact I was more of a ghost. Some folks noticed me but most never saw me. It was very surreal to realize that all the angst I felt as a teen about not fitting in and being “a freak” wasn’t realistic. I hadn’t stood out enough to be that misfit. for most I was “just there”. I was actually a little speechless realizing that

If you could apologize to someone in your past, who would it be?

Probably my younger self. I would tell her that I was sorry she was always so sad and afraid all of the time. I would encourage her to just live and hope for the best, not to worry about her future so much. Also that I was sorry not to get published as early as she’d planned. 32 is quite a bit later than 21.

Morning Person? Or Night Person? How do you know?

Bonafide Night Owl. While I can be fond of a nice morning with all its new beginnings I tend to thrive on the night and the quiet I find there. I can be alone with my thoughts, a book or my writing. Even better I can be up having an all night chat or walk with Todd. We actually got to know each other through those sort of talks. It’s how we wound up together 12 years ago.

Do your friends think you are an introvert or an extravert? Why?

I’m definitely an introvert. I hate crowds, I’m not big on parties and new people always make me anxious (actually even people I haven’t seen in a while will have the same effect). I’d much rather be reading, having a small gathering for b movies, quiet talks with Todd or a friend, going through a bookstore or a library than anything very social. I end up feeling very tired and stressed out if I try to behave like an extrovert.

What are your hero and heroine of the story like?
Katja is actually a lot like me. I spent a long time living in my past and afraid to make the same mistakes with my future. I couldn’t live in the moment and was convinced that things would always turn out badly. Katja’s like me because in the end Eyes Like Blue Fire was sort of a way for me to work through those issues. She has to face change to move on. Raven has a very upsetting past and he still has a lot to deal with but he’s made some effort to move forward. He’s lonely and thing haven’t gone for the best in recent years but he’s waiting for that moment when his life can make a turn around. He’s a bit of me and a bit of Todd actually with a big splash of the guy you dream of as  a young person.

Eyes Like Blue Fire is the story of Katja a vampire who has lost sense of herself and her value in the world. Lost, broken and damaged she wanders the streets of Europe hoping to find some sense of purpose beyond the death and tragedy she has always known. Betrayed by her sire and left alone in the night she is startled to discover herself forming a connection to a young man who shares a close resemblance to her master and lover. Though everything in her begs her to stay with him she flees only to come running back to save him when a monster from her sire's past comes to destroy the only hope she has had in 300 years.

A longtime fan of horror and fantasy Ms. Lyons writes character driven novels that while influenced by her darker interests, can also be heavily laced with fantasy, romance, history and magic. Amanda M. Lyons has lived her whole life in rural Ohio where she lives with her fiance and two children. Eyes Like Blue Fire is her first novel.
Website/Blog  |  Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Goodreads


1 comment:

Valerie R said...

Awesome giveaways.. and thanks so much for sharing with us!