Sunday, May 5, 2013

Eyes of Ember by Rebecca Ethington: Interview: Orangeberry Tour Stop




What is your favorite quote, by whom, and why? “Sometimes the hard jobs are the ones that are really worth doing” – Rainbow Brite, Chasing Rainbows.

Yep – I am totally a ‘80s kid at heart. I actually used to collect Rainbow Brite dolls, which is probably why I went for the Rainbow Brite quote – but even beyond that – it’s just a really great quote.

What are you most proud of accomplishing so far in your life? So Much! I have great kids, a huge history of amazing on-stage performances that absolutely fill my life with good memories and experiences. I have great friends, and a really awesome book that people love. I would say I’m full, but there is still so much room!

What is your favorite color? Purple

What is your favorite food? Tune Fish Rice Patties (And now, I know what I am having for dinner)

What’s your favorite place in the entire world? Disneyland. Dude. It’s a hands down win. Of course, I haven’t been very many places, so ask me in a few years.

What do you consider the most challenging about writing a novel, or about writing in general? I think the most challenging bit about writing, especially in the case of Eyes of Ember, is not being able to type fast enough. Lol There are so many challenging bits, making the manuscript plot hole free, creating believable characters, pacing.. it goes on. But that’s all frosting, the stuff you perfect at the end. For me, getting the story out can be frustrating. Sometimes my fingers just don’t move fast enough.

Did writing this book teach you anything and what was it? Writing Eyes of Ember really taught me the value of my family. I never would have expected to get so much support and encouraging words! It was really a great reminder as to how awesome my family really is. 

Tell us a bit about your family. Well let’s see, I grew up in a small family, being the oldest of three, one brother and one sister, and now have my own small family. I’ve been married for ten years and am the proud mother to two very crazy little girls. My poor husband is incredibly out numbered; he’s the only guy amongst three very emotional gals. 

Have you developed a specific writing style? One of the things that my reviewers tell me is that they love my writing style. I never really tried to have a specific style, I just kind of wrote the way I feel – but I guess people love it, so I will keep doing it! 

Can you tell us about your main character? Joclyn is shy, emotionally scarred and very introverted. She’s been abandoned by her father, and hides herself in multiple ways rather than facing the pain she feels. It makes her weak, but she isn’t really. She just has to find her strength. Joclyn is in love with her best friend, and by the end of the book is showing signs of her strength. By the end of the series she is pretty bad-ass.

How did you develop your plot and characters? This story has been in my head for quite some time. When I get a story I write notebook length outlines for them, as well as character studies, and any other details. I want to have the story fully thought out before I even start writing.



Buy Now @ Amazon

Genre – YA Paranormal

Rating – PG

Joclyn is in hiding, hunted by the man she still desperately loves. Ryland is gone, his mind erased; no memory of Joclyn remains, but Joclyn’s heart desperately begs her to hold out hope. Meanwhile the black-eyed monster that possesses him attempts to kill her over and over again.

If it wasn’t for Ilyan, Joclyn would be dead by now.

Ilyan, the man who once stalked her, is now Joclyn’s protector, the only person she has left. He protects Joclyn from the men who seek to end her life, and all the while, she is haunted by dreams where Ryland begs her to break the bond between them.

Ilyan is there. Always there.

Ilyan trains and prepares her, teaching her everything she needs to know in the hope that one day she can avenge Ryland, if not protect herself from him.

And then, there is her father.

The man who has never been there is suddenly responsible for everything. And who he is has made Joclyn into something she never wanted to be:

The Silnỳ.



Rebecca Ethington has been telling stories since she was small. First, with writing crude scripts, and then in stage with years of theatrical performances. The Imdalind Series is her first stint into the world of literary writing. Rebecca is a mother to two, and wife to her best friend of 14 years. She was born and raised in the mountains of Salt Lake City, and hasn't found the desire to leave yet. Her days are spent writing, running, and enjoying life with her amazing family.

Connect with Rebecca Ethington on Facebook & Twitter & GoodReads

Next Few Stops
6th May – Book Review at UnEnding TBR Pile
7th May – Book Review at Keeping Sane with Books
8th May – Book Review at Life Altering Reads
9th May – Book Review at Reading Away Life
10th May – Author Interview, Guest Post & Book Feature at Talisman Book Publishing

No comments: