Sunday, May 26, 2013

Dream Student by J.J. DiBenedetto: Character Interview

 



 

Character Interview – Sara Barnes, heroine of “Dream Student”

(the book takes place in the winter of 1989-90, which explains some of Sara’s answers)

 

What songs are most played on your Ipod?

I guess you mean my portable CD player?  I just got one for Christmas, so I’ve only got a few CDs.  I’m really enjoying the new Rolling Stones album, “Steel Wheels.”  But I mostly have to listen to it with my headphones.  My roommate can’t stand them, and it’s not really worth fighting with her about Mick Jagger.

 

Who should play you in a film? 

A movie about me?  I guess what happened back in January could make a good movie.  It would all be lies – nobody knows what really happened except for me and Beth and Brian.  But that’s not what you asked, right?  I never thought about anything like that before.  Maybe – what do you think of Ally Sheedy?  She’d have to wear green contacts, but she’s about the right size for me.  Don’t get me wrong, I’m not as weird as she was in “The Breakfast Club”, but she’s the closest I can think of.

 

What book are you reading now?
Right now?  The textbook for CHEM329, Chemical Aspects of Living systems.  The final exam is next week, and I need to go over everything again.  Oh – but you mean fiction, right?  I just finished “Fantastic Voyage” by Isaac Asimov.  You know, where they shrink the doctors down inside the little submarine and they go inside the guy’s body to cure him?  Don’t laugh – the book was pretty good.  It’s much better than the old movie version was.

 

What are you passionate about these days?
Besides finishing up my med school applications?  Brian, my boyfriend.  Before I met him, that’s something I never thought I’d say.  But I love him, more than I imagined I could.  He’s just – well, he’s perfect, that’s all there is to it.  How could I not be passionate about him?

 

What was the scariest moment of your life?
Honestly?  I know what you expect me to say – being down in that basement with Dr. Walters.  But I was thinking too much to be frightened, if that makes any sense.  I didn’t really have time to be frightened in the moment.  The real scariest moment was a couple of days before my senior prom, when I got appendicitis.  I didn’t know what was going on, and the pain was so bad I thought I was going to die – I wouldn’t have minded dying, just to make it stop, that’s how much it hurt.  And it felt like something was going to burst out of me, like in that scene in “Alien.” 

 

Do your friends think you are an introvert or an extravert? Why?

Introvert, no question.  I definitely am one, too.  I’ve always been kind of shy, and as long as I had books or my chemistry set or something else to study or experiment with, I was happy.  It’s only since I got to college that I’ve come out of my shell at all.  My roommate Beth had a lot to do with that, and of course Brian has pulled me out a lot farther since we’ve been together.

 

What is the next big thing?

People keep saying it’s the Internet.  My boyfriend thinks so, you should hear him talk about it.  I don’t see it, though.  Are people really going to buy stuff and listen to music and order pizza and everything on a computer?  It seems crazy to me.

 

If you could apologize to someone in your past, who would it be?
My mother.  It’s not that we have a bad relationship, but I know she’d like to be a lot closer.  I think the problem is that we’re too much alike, and it’s like magnets – when you stick two positive ends of a magnet together, they repel each other.  At least I still can apologize to her, and appreciate her more.  You know what, I think I’m going to call her right now, if you don’t mind.

 



 
 

What would you do if you could see other people’s dreams? If you could watch their hidden fantasies and uncover their deepest, darkest secrets…without them ever knowing?

Sara Barnes is about to find out. She thought that all she had to worry about was final exams, Christmas shopping and deciding whether she likes the cute freshman in the next dorm who’s got a crush on her.

But when she starts seeing dreams that aren’t hers, she learns more than she ever wanted to know about her friends, her classmates…and a strange, terrifying man whose dreams could get Sara killed.

“Dream Student” is the thrilling first installment of the Dreams series.

 

BUY LINKS:
Amazon  |  Amazon UK  
 
 
 


J.J. (James) DiBenedetto was born in Yonkers, New York. He attended Case Western Reserve University, where as his classmates can attest, he was a complete nerd. Very little has changed since then.
 
He currently lives in Arlington, Virginia with his beautiful wife and their cat (who has thoroughly trained them both). When he's not writing, James works in the direct marketing field, enjoys the opera, photography and the New York Giants, among other interests.
 
The "Dreams" series is James' first published work.
 
 

 
 
Website  |  Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Goodreads
 
 

1 comment:

James D said...

Thank you so much for hosting the book! I'll be happy to answer any questions about it.