Friday, May 3, 2013

Distraction by Tess Oliver: Interview and Excerpt: Bewitching Tour Stop

 




How do you describe your writing style?  My writing style mimics my own style in  life. I tend to thrive on humor and passion, and I never take myself or the world too seriously.

 

Does your significant other read your stuff? This one made me smile because of an exchange I had with my husband the other day. First, a short description of the man-- he is a total guy-- doesn’t know how to turn on the oven, forgets every sentimental holiday and anniversary, and his idea of a good time is jumping his dirt bike through the air while racing on a motocross track. (Many broken bones and trips to E.R.--what fun) I was sitting on the couch, grumbling about having to go back up to the computer. I looked at him and said, “let me tell you, it is not easy writing an entire book.” He looked over at me and said, “heck, I would have a hard time just reading an entire book.” So, long story short, my significant other does not read my stuff . . . or anyone else’s for that matter. He does love his motocross magazines though, so he’s not completely illiterate.

 

What was the scariest moment of your life? I don’t think there is any moment as happy and as scary as becoming a mom.

 

Are the names of the characters in your novels important?  How and why? This is the first time I’ve ever seen this question in an interview and I like it. I spend a lot of time deciding on the names for my main characters-- less time on secondary ones. I make lists, prioritize them, and once I choose names, I let them dance around in my head for a day or two. Then, if I still like them, I start poking them out on the keyboard. Once I’ve settled on the names, those characters become more familiar to me, like old friends, and if the name doesn’t work, I know it right away. So I guess my answer would be a resounding YES, they are important.

 

What hobbies do you actively pursue? For a long time my daughter and I had horses and they are definitely a hobby because like all good hobbies they take up a lot of spare time and all of your spare money. I’m happy to say my horses are now living a life of luxury on a fantastic ranch in Oregon. My hobbies now?  Are chocolate eating and dog snuggling considered viable hobbies? If so, then those are my favorite two.

 

Morning Person? Or Night Person? How do you know? Let’s just say my sisters and kids know not to call me after 8 p.m. because I’m probably sleeping. I’m definitely an early bird. I got in the habit of getting up early years ago because horses know when it’s breakfast time and they don’t let you sleep past their internal alarm clocks. Now I just like being up when the rest of the house is still sleeping. It is my favorite time to write.

 

Beatles or Monkees? Why? Great question. Monkees, and not just because Davy Jones (RIP Davy) was adorable with his long bangs and tambourine, but because their songs always made me happy. Plus, my older sister always liked the Beatles better, and growing up, I always liked to be contrary to her. 


 

Distraction
Years from Home Trilogy, Book One
Tess Oliver 
Genre: YA Paranormal Romance- mature YA
ISBN: 978-1481225724
ASIN: B00B4DF66K
Number of pages: 236
Word Count: 59,363
Cover Artist: NikkiHensley 

Smashwords    Amazon   BN   Kobo  Itunes


Book Description:

As false accusations of witchcraft consume Salem Village, eighteen-year-old Poppy Seabrooke, a true witch, is content to stay away from the hysteria and more importantly from the relentless advances of Angus Wolfe, a powerful warlock masquerading as Salem’s pastor.  

When Poppy uses her magic to help a young boy, she is arrested. Angus is the only person who can help her, but, in return, she must promise her hand in marriage. In desperation, Poppy’s grandmother sends her two hundred years into the future to hide. Poppy finds herself years from home in the middle of a strange place called Montana where rooms light up without candles or sorcery, steam puffing dragons roar across fields on tracks, and cows sprout horns as long as tree trunks. And while Poppy hides from the man who turns her heart cold as ice, she discovers the man who can set it on fire. 

Cade Tanner has always lived fast and hard, and he prefers it that way. The last thing he needs is a girl to distract him from running the cattle ranch his father left him. But Poppy, the sweetly innocent beauty with the soft smile and dark eyes, who seemingly fell from the sky, is tough to ignore. But Cade soon finds that falling for Poppy comes with a dangerous price.
 
 

             As I trotted back toward the inner pastures, feminine laughter drifted over the tops of the tall grass. Jackson’s laughter followed, and I trotted River in that direction. Libby’s plan had not been thwarted by my refusal. Jackson leaned his forearm on the pommel of his saddle as he watched Poppy ride circles on our old gelding. I rode up next to him.
          Her long hair had escaped the pins holding it, and it shimmered like gold in the sharp afternoon sunlight. Her sweet bottom was still tucked neatly in a pair of my old denims, and it popped up and down on the seat of the saddle in perfect rhythm with her soft cries of joy.
          Jackson cupped his hand around his mouth. “Sit back, Poppy. You’re leaning too far forward.” He dropped his hand.
          She swept a long strand of hair off her face and sat back.
          “Now that is a picture,” Jackson said.
          My pulse sped up just watching her trot clumsy circles around the pasture. “What that is, Jacks, is a whole lot of trouble wrapped in the prettiest package I’ve ever seen.”
          Jackson’s eyes were wide. “What’s this? Cade Tanner’s confidence finally shattered by a girl? I’ll admit she’s not like any other girl we’ve met, but I’m still surprised.”
          It took all my will to look away from her. I reined River around. “Confidence hasn’t got anything to do with it. I just know trouble when I’m looking at it.” River’s hooves plodded over the drought hardened ground. I wasn’t fifty feet from Jackson when Poppy screamed. I spun River around so fast, the horse nearly fell back on its haunches. Poppy had slipped to the side of the saddle but had righted herself just as I reached her.
          Her smile greeted me, and it was the kind of smile that could make a guy forget his own name. “Red went one way and I went the other,” she said with a laugh. She reached forward and patted the horse’s thick neck. “He slowed down as soon as he knew I was off balance.” Her cinnamon brown eyes lifted and she looked at me. “Forgive me if I startled you. I shouldn’t have screamed like that.”
          “You didn’t startle me.” Of course my heartbeat had a whole different interpretation of it. Jackson rode up next to us. He grinned smugly at me. “Well, Cade, you always were one to ride toward trouble instead of away from it.” 

 
 
 
 
 
 
About the Author:
Tess Oliver is a teacher and writer who lives in California with her husband, kids, a small pack of pampered dogs, and the recent addition of three ridiculously cute pygmy goats. She loves horses, chocolate and Jane Austen books. She has a BS of Nutrition Science, and a MA in Curriculum and Instruction. She is also an author published by Barron's Educational Publisher. 
 
 
 
 
 WebsiteBlogFacebookGoodreads  |  Twitter 
 
 
 FULL TOUR SCHEDULE
 
Next Stops
May 6 interview 
Books & Tales
May 7 Spotlight
The Avid Reader
May 8 Guest blog
Roxanne’s Realm
May 9 Guest blog
Share My Destiny
May 9 review
Paperback Princess
May 10 Interview and review
Vicky at Deal Sharing Aunt
 
 
 


Tour Wide Giveaway 

2 signed paperbacks Distraction Years from Home Trilogy, Book One by Tess Oliver         
open to US Shipping 

3 ebook copies Distraction by Tess Oliver    
open to international

 
 

a Rafflecopter giveaway



3 comments:

Tess Oliver said...

Thank you so much for hosting this stop on my blog tour for Distraction! :)

Kathy said...

thank you would love to read this

Felicia said...

Wow, I am in love with this story - I am new to your writing and always love "meeting" new authors!

Thank you so much!