Saturday, April 13, 2013

The Symbolon by Delia J. Colvin: Interview: Orangeberry Tour Stop


 


 
 
 




Tell us a bit about your family. I grew up in Bellevue, WA with two parents who love each other and were absolutely dedicated to making our lives better than theirs had been. My father is a brilliant entrepreneur and masters most anything he touches from business to opera and can fix anything! My mother supported his ventures while having five kids about a year apart. I can’t even imagine being 25 years old and having five babies!

Growing up, we camped in the summer and rode our bikes everywhere. Other than the near constant rain, and squabbles with siblings, I would say it was a near idyllic childhood.

What are you most proud of accomplishing so far in your life? I am most proud of producing my beautiful daughter—a smart, ethical and loving young woman and former champion ice skater, who is now such a fantastic mother.

Right behind that would be my novels. As gratifying as it is to see The Sibylline Oracle and The Symbolon hit Amazon’s bestseller’s list, it is absolutely thrilling to receive emails from readers telling me how much the books meant to them! The interaction with the readers is something that I absolutely love.

What is your favorite color? Absolutely love cerulean!

What is your favorite food? I only get one?  Hmmm, well each morning I await with bated breath my wonderful Hazelnut Cream Coffee. Does that count? Otherwise Steak Diane or Macadamia nut crusted Halibut with Frangelico sauce—yeah, it is just obscene!

How has your upbringing influenced your writing? My mother has been quite ill lately and through that I have come to understand the depth of the love my parents have for each other. It is such a rare and precious gift and has certainly influenced my love stories.

In my entire life I have never heard my father say anything about my mother other than high praise and support. My mother has been there to support the wild and wooly ride of the wife of an extraordinary entrepreneur.

Beyond that, we had a hell of a lot of kids in our family and as I wasn’t much of an athlete I learned to internalize my stories. An interesting fact that I recently observed is that almost all of my main characters are an only child.

Do you recall how your interest in writing originated? I knew before I could write a word that I was a storyteller. Although after some rather cruel invalidation from my first creative writing teacher I stopped writing until I was 30.

Still it took a near-death experience until I allowed anyone to read a word that I wrote in my novels.

Who or what influenced your writing once you began? Certainly my husband’s absolute enthusiasm for my stories is the reason I am a full-time writer now. Both my daughter and my husband are the reason I had the courage to publish my stories.

In the book business two authors have had a profound effect on my professional career.

Nora Roberts blog taught me that writing is a business. You are a writer. You write first market second.

Melissa Foster is the award-winning and bestselling author of Fostering Success with her courses helped me take my novels and within a month both of my novels were on Amazon’s bestsellers lists. She and the other authors of Fostering Success are a very upbeat and positive voice of experience and expertise in this very rapidly changing environment where few know the rules. I owe Melissa a great deal of gratitude for her personal time and her phenomenal courses!

Being a novelist is a fantastic career! Having worked as a consultant and having owned numerous companies, I realized that this was the perfect business. Here is the beauty of it: You write at least a few novels a year. If you write well, your products will never go out of style and no competitor can ever steal your voice.

Every new reader that likes one of your products has a high likelihood of purchasing one or more of your other products. It’s a great business but as in any business, it requires a hell of a lot of work. You write every day. You complete quality products. You have a team that you trust to assist you. And then you learn to sell them.

What do you consider the most challenging about writing a novel, or about writing in general? There is absolutely nothing more challenging than writing your heart on a page and then opening it up to public view for possible ridicule! I’ve never been afraid of much of anything but I was terrified of that rejection of the one thing that I felt defined me. Call me a back cook and I laugh. Attack my writing and that is a painful wound.

Because 95% of my reviews are 4-5 stars, it has made it easier to read the negative reviews and determine if there is something of value. Do I need to tweak in the book or marketing? Now my only real issue on a negative reviews is when someone finds it necessary to write a diatribe of false information or spills spoilers—you have to wonder what is their ulterior motive.

Having mentioned marketing, I would have to say that marketing right now is the most complex part of being an author. Thankfully I discovered Melissa Foster and Fostering Success. Within a month of Melissa’s courses and following her training I discovered both of my books on Amazon’s bestsellers list!

Can you tell us about your main character? This trilogy puts a new spin on the story of Cassandra of Troy. In The Sibylline Trilogy, Cassandra was one of the most powerful oracles. But she is cursed to die and reincarnates without any memory of her previous existence.

Alex is Cassandra’s immortal soulmate who receives visions of his beloved over eons and although he has failed to save her countless times, he is determined that this time Valeria, as she is known in present day, will survive.

I receive the most letters about Alex—mostly from women but also from men who admire him. Women write me that they are in love with him. He is sexy, brilliant and a gentleman to the extreme who lives for his love. I must admit that I have a bit of a crush on Alex as well…but don’t tell my husband.
 
 



"We have a new star to add to the firmament of romance/fantasy writers. Ms. Colvin takes her place in the first tier and it's well deserved." Al Hatman, Author

Delia J. Colvin is the Bestselling author of The Sibylline Trilogy; The Sibylline Oracle (Voted Goodreads #1 Best Book of June 2012), The Symbolon (Voted Goodreads #2 Best Book of November 2012) and soon to be released, The Last Oracle. She authors a popular blog and is listed as a contributor in two business books.

While developing her skills as an author, Delia worked in a variety of occupations from marketing to entrepreneur, Air Traffic Controller and Russian Interpreter. But her passion is in writing and helping people. Delia has donated both time and money to literacy programs around the country.

"Read the first few paragraphs, and then tell me that this woman isn't one of today's foremost wordsmiths..." Paddy O'Callaghan, Goodreads Top 30 Reviewers

PERSONAL NOTE From the Author: As much as I enjoy writing, I love hearing from readers even more! It would mean the world to me if you would take a moment to send me an email and say hi. I personally answer all of my emails.
Email me at DeliaJColvin@gmail.com Or for more information on me go to my site: www.DeliaColvin.com
 

What readers are saying...

"Superb book!"

"I have a new favorite author!"

"The Symbolon is my favorite book of all time!"

"I found myself completely hooked from page one."

For more information on Delia check out www.DeliaColvin.com
Or email DeliaJColvin@gmail.com

 
 
 
 
The Symbolon is the passionate second novel of the addictive Sibylline Trilogy!

For 3000 years, immortal, Alex Morgan, has dreamt of a life with his mortal beloved, Valeria. And it appears that they will at last have a chance for a life together!

But when they approach the ancient council of immortals, for approval of the marriage, they discover that sinister forces object to their union. Soon they find themselves faced with terrifying threats including a devastating separation that neither may survive!

 

From the Author

The Symbolon is the second novel of The Sibylline Trilogy. The name "Symbolon" came from a discussion in Plato's Symposium about a play by Aristophanes and refers to soul mates.

The actual interpretation has to do with two-headed, eight-limbed creatures that were cut in half and cursed to roam the world alone, never feeling complete. Did I mention that Aristophanes was a comic playwright?

The Symbolon refers to Alex and Valeria as soul mates and is really the love story of the trilogy. I hope you enjoy it as much as I enjoyed writing it!

Delia

 



NEXT STOPS

14th April – Book Review & Guest Post at Working for Books

15th April – Book Review & Excerpt at Life Altering Reads

16th April - Book Review & Guest Post at The Next Big Book Thing

17th April – Book Review at Pastime with Books

 
 

No comments: