Sunday, April 21, 2013

The Keepers by J.L.Block: Interview and Excerpt


 




 

How did you start you writing career?

I was halfway through finishing my bachelor of music degree. My whole life revolved around music. It was my study, job, hobby and escape. I was starting to feel overwhelmed by it and so I decided to spend more time on my reading and writing. My love for writing started as a child. I don’t think it became a career option until I decided that publishing could actually become a possibility for me.


Does your significant other read your stuff?

Yeah he does, although he’s not a big reader. He prefers to wait until my works are published before he reads them. I don’t blame him because I always tell him the plot for the entire story before I finish writing. This means he has only read The Keepers, but he knows the story for the entire trilogy. 



How do you develop your plots and your characters? Do you use any set formula?

I don’t have a formula. I do however write a lot of extra content about the story and characters. I ask myself questions about what can happen and write down solutions. After a while it expands into ‘good madness’. I have been known to fill up many a note book.
I also believe that a character needs a good back story in order to become believable.


What are your favorite TV shows?

Hahaha I have so many so I will order my top ten:
1. Once Upon a time
2. Face Off
3. Pretty Little Liars
4. How I Met Your Mother
5. Charmed
6. Veronica Mars
7. Chuck
8. It’s Always Sunny In Philedalphia
9. Family Guy
10. Top Gear (My boyfriend got me into that)

What is it that you like to do when you’re not reading/writing?

Playing, writing and listening to music. You can also find me dabbling in other creative things like drawing and crafts. I also like T.V shows and video games and of course spending time with my man and our two cats (Chloe and Sooty).


Are the names of the characters in your novels important?  How and why?

Very! I think a name can tell a mini story about a person before there is a chance to know who they are. Most of the characters in The Keepers names were chosen to reflect a strong point about them or their life. There are a few however, like Arcadius, who’s name doesn’t reflect him in the slightest. It translates to ‘strong bear’ and he is nothing of the sort.


Morning Person? Or Night Person? How do you know?

NIGHT! I mostly know because I am very grumpy in the mornings and also because I do most of my writing before bed. Staying up writing all night is most likely the result of my tiredness in the morning. I have also been known to stay up playing music all night as well, but I get told off a lot when I do that.


Entice us, what future projects are you considering?

Oh I have a few ideas floating around and a few non Keeper works underway. I’ve always wanted to write a book revolving around a bad guy as the lead character. I’m also dabbling with a book idea revolving around time travel, but not everything works out. I don’t want to write something that has been done a million times so unless I think it’s original enough I won’t continue with an idea.
 
 
 
 

 



Ava's ordinary life is shattered when she is attacked and becomes involved in a secret society of magic.

Alongside the Keepers, Ava needs to mediate as the magics collide and are becoming out of control. She must Keep the increasing amount of secrets safe - even from her family. But there's a rising tension within this group as Ava replaces a fallen Keeper, and it becomes an issue of trust. The Rogues, betrayers to this creed, threaten to devastate the Keepers, who think themselves safe.

It will take both Ava’s inner and outer strength to overcome the chaos, or as she now knows, the Visma and, by extension, the mysterious Rogues that surround her.


Book 1 of the Keepers Trilogy.                



Book Buy links:  

  
Amazon   |   Smashwords  |   Barnes and Noble 



Ava stormed over to the door and whipped it open, revealing the darkness of the alleyway. Fear immediately assaulted her, clouding her judgment as a strong urge to run back to the store’s safety filled her body. She started shivering, and held onto her crystal, willing herself to be calmer.
Her crystal was now neatly nestled in a circular wire cage that she had tied to her neck. She could walk down the alleyway; this time certainly was different than the last. Now she had magic to protect her and back up she could call.
She decided she could always contact Magenta if she needed any help, an extra boost of protection; she decided she would travel down the alleyway once again. Ava stepped out and closed the door, still holding her crystal necklace in her hand.
She took slow steps, looking around into the pitch dark and squinting to see if there was any movement. When nothing jumped out at her, she finally released the crystal from its tight grip, and continued on.
Ava relaxed as she felt a warm, calm sense of security. Even if something did jump out, she could crystal orb away in less than a second. The idea eased her mind.
A wave of pride washed across her, but as quick as the feeling appeared, it abandoned her again.
The distinct feeling of something strong and tight wrapped itself around Ava’s ankle. It pulled her back, causing her to fall to the ground and drop her handbag. The contents from inside scattered across the ground, and she knew that whoever grabbed her wasn’t friendly.
Ava attempted to stand back up, but in that moment two very large masculine hands clasped over her shoulders and pulled her up. She could barely make out the features of the very large man with wild tangled hair staring down at her. He looked like any regular thug, but Ava couldn’t shake the feeling that there was something different about him.
With one hand, he pinned her against the wall while she struggled to find a way to free herself. However, as beneficial as her training was, Ava was not ready for a real life attack and she broke the first rule of defense.
The man reached out with his free hand. He clasped it around her crystal and pulled it off her neck.
The clasp that secured it snapped, and her stomach churned. She was too terrified to move, let alone think straight. She was right when she felt something was odd about this man. There was no doubt now that he was Visma. Any regular thug would have taken her bag first.
Ava struggled again, hitting the man’s arm in an attempt to break free. She couldn’t afford to lose her crystal to him, not now and not ever.
The man pushed her around with ease. She parted from the wall and landed on the gravel with such force that she knew she was injured. Cuts formed through her freshly ripped pants, and judging by how much they hurt, they were quite deep.
The man smiled down at her, showing a set of neglected brown teeth. His eyes contained a victorious look. Ava had never felt so disappointed in herself in her entire life. The man held the one thing she needed to protect above anything else, and there was little she could do to get it back.
Ava couldn’t give up. She acted out of instinct, allowing her training to command her actions. She stood up from the ground in preparation to fight, but was stopped as the man’s strong hand pushed her right back down again. The force created deeper cuts in her knees, and she cried out in pain, feeling a multitude of bruises form.
He smiled for only a moment before his eyes darted down to the crystal, and then back up to Ava. His face contorted in anger. “What is this?” he growled. His voice had a rough timbre. “This is fake. You tricked me, girl.” He threw the crystal to the floor as if it insulted him. “Where is the real one? Where are you hiding it?”
Ava looked at him, dumfounded. She couldn’t think of an answer, but the man was a brute and grew impatient quickly. He took a swing at Ava, and with an instinctive impulse, she covered her head with her arms, waiting for the impact she was trained to expect.
It never came.
Instead, Ava heard her name cut through the chilly air. She looked up in surprise as she recognized André’s voice.
He appeared with narrowed eyes and unusually messy hair. André didn’t hesitate as he threw a punch into the attacker’s gut, winding him, but only slightly.
Ava was now the last thing on her attacker’s mind as he retaliated against André with angered force. She wanted to look away as the attacker and André fought, but there was no relief having him defend her when he was in just as much danger. Ava was told the Visma would attack again. She should have remembered the warnings. Perhaps with preparation she wouldn’t have let her fear take over her sense.
Ava watched the fight until the attacker’s foot brushed against her crystal necklace.
Her eyes averted from the fight as it skidded towards her. She realized in that moment that her crystal was more important than the fear which surrounded her. Broken or not, it was her job to keep it safe.
Ava rushed over to her crystal and bent down to retrieve what was left of the broken necklace. She grabbed it with barely enough time to stand before the weight of another body shoved her aside.

 

 
Hi I’m Jenaye or otherwise known as my pen name J.L.Block!

I was born in America but moved to Australia at a young age. I like to think of myself as a mixture of the two. I love both countries and though I grew up in Australia and love it here there will always be a place in my heart for my birth county.

My two great passions in life are literature and music. I love writing in both forms and I like reading and listening in both forms.

My writing developed as a child. Since I can remember I have thought of stories in my head to get myself to sleep at night. It wasn’t until my teens that I decided to actually write some of those ideas down. It wasn’t until a couple of years ago until I seriously considered writing and finishing a full length novel.
 
Social links:


 
 

Blog  |  Goodreads 
 
 

No comments: