Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Scapemaker by Steve V Cypert: Character & Author Interview

 
 


 
 

The following questions are directed to Hunter,
the night terror and antagonist of the story.
 

What do you think makes a good story?

Fear, of course. What else?

What was the scariest moment of your life?
 

I don’t have one. What’s the scariest moment in yours? I’d REALLY like to know.


What books have most influenced your life?
 

Voldemort, Hannibal, Sauron… Oh, you said books. Whatever; characters will do.

                                                          
What book are you reading now?
 

I devour anything without the facade of religion or deity. It’s all unproven anyway and in my eye that means false… an illusion. I hate books that always depict “good” so unrealistically defeating “evil”. Good and evil are so relative to the nature of the individual and his or her outlook on life. I prefer to live my life in the shadows… but I digress. Next question…
 

As a child, what did you want to be when you grew up?
 

Are you really going to ask me questions about my childhood? Did you not hear the answers to all the previous questions? Would you prefer to remember anything in your childhood if you grew up the way it sounds I did? If you have to know, I always wanted to be a firestarter… I mean a fireman.


What is your favorite meal?
 

A raw slice of steak—it needs to be mooing when I stick my fork into it.


What group did you hang out with in high school?
 

That’ll just incriminate me. Next question.
 

Morning Person or Night Person? How do you know?
 

Night… definitely night. That’s when they all come out… don’t ask.


Is there a writer you idolize? If so who?
 

Stephen King.

What would we find under your bed?
 

The Boogie Man.

What one word best describes you?
 

Soulless.
 

What is something people would be surprised to know about you?
 

This is off the record. But, I wasn’t always this nasty and mean. Also I shower only once a month—that’s on a good year.
 
 
 
 
 

Matthew is the son of Mr. Nicholas Namely, a local high school teacher. However, Matthew does not know that his father is a dreamscaper, whose classroom is connected to the dream-world. From his classroom, Mr. Namely’s students enter the halls of Scapemaker, a dream-world high school for young and inexperienced dreamscapers.
 
Following a couple of tragic events—his father’s sudden comatose condition and the unbelievable mysteries surrounding the unexpected death of his best friend, Dobian Brown—Matthew is compelled to investigate and is propelled into a whole new world. Matthew and his mother, Mae, are soon coerced into moving across the country for his father's strange medical needs. While attending his new school, Matthew comes to know the secrets that Daedree, an annoying girl from his former high school, has locked away. Matthew also meets Amber, a beautiful enigmatic girl who leads him to Mr. Xoner's classroom. While there, he learns the art of dreamscaping (which, unbeknownst to Matthew, has been in his bloodline for thousands of years). This new life will lead Matthew to unbelievable characters with the most extraordinary abilities he could have ever imagined—and the most deadly and wicked villains he never thought he’d be up against.

Matthew will come to know of Nox Celare, otherwise known as The Sandman, who is after a special element called Magineum. He must not only solve the mysteries surrounding those tragic events, but he will also have to protect the Magineum with his life and find a way to be with the girl of his dreams. Neck deep in skinwalkers (shape shifters), sandsleepers, zombies, goblins, soul feeders, ghosts, ogres, dragons, dream-world criminals known as “night terrors” and more, Matthew learns he is in over his head. With the help of his friends, Mr. Xoner, and a determined FBI agent, Matthew will learn more about his father than he ever hoped to—or wished to know. He soon uncovers the reason for his father’s comatose condition; with vague implications of a traitorous act and a possible connection to Doby’s death, Mr. Namely had been convicted and his mind held within the notorious Sandstorm Prison inside the dream-world. Matthew must now prove his father’s innocence as a helpless victim of Nox’s plan to escape Sandstorm Prison.
 
 
 
 
 

Excerpt (slightly altered to avoid spoilers – altered portions in brackets)

 

“Matthew, step back!” cried Mr. Xoner. “Quickly, step away!” Matthew was petrified as he watched in complete fear. “Run,” shouted Mr. Xoner, joined now by the rest of the students with voices of their own, “run, run, run!”

Now much larger than any two students combined, [it] burst from [its] skin, emerging like a reptilian monster from [its] shell complete with fire lit eyes. [Its] teeth were long and sharp. [It] reached for Matthew with arms that were now twice the size of Matthew’s torso.

All the students in the room screamed chaotically and ran through the dreamgate. Matthew tried following the students through the door but was tackled by Mr. Xoner. “No, Matthew, not there. Not yet.”

“I don’t know what’s behind that door but I’ll take it over that thing any day,” said Matthew as he tried to squirm away from Mr. Xoner’s grip. Although he was smaller and frailer than Matthew, Mr. Xoner held him against the floor boards next to the ornate door.

The windows high on the wall began to shake along with the walls as [it] approached. His every step fractured the floor sending cracks through the foundation.

“Matthew, stay here,” instructed Mr. Xoner. “Do not move a muscle.”

 
 
 

Tell us about your current release. 

Scapemaker is my current release. I wanted to write something like the Harry Potter series by author JK Rowling or the Percy Jackson series by author Rick Riordan. You know… something fantastic—a young adult paranormal adventure that would take the reader on a ride that they’d never forget. I felt the story needed to take place at some sort of high school with a twist. But, I wanted the book to stand strong on it’s own. I couldn’t write about wizards or Greek myth. Because of the Twilight series by author Stephanie Meyer and the many popular vampire and werewolf novels already out there I couldn’t go that direction. I couldn’t build on aliens, ghosts, or zombies since that was saturated. There was nothing left to build a story on. And then I remembered a story I had started when I was sixteen, but never finished. It was about a boy and his imaginary friend. And then it clicked; a light snapped on in my mind and I knew I had to write a story about a high school in the dream-world. I wanted to connect it to everyday life in a real-world high school. From there I built an intricate story with a great good vs. evil twist that would keep the reader cheering, jeering and guessing through four books. This book/series really fits the bill with twists and turns, love and hate, and good and evil. It’s fast pace and exciting. But there’s a lot to explain to understand the workings and new elements, so it begins a little slow with explanations in dialogue and narration. But when it takes off… it takes off!
 

When in the day/night do you write? How long per day?

Normally I have written late into the night on through to early morning. One time I wrote from 6pm until 8am the next morning. My wife doesn’t do so well with that schedule. Since our son has been born I have been writing during the morning hours when he is asleep. I can only write an hour or two per day on the days that I can write.
 

Does your significant other read your stuff?

My wife, Katie, is my beta reader, who reads my stuff as I write and the finished product. I like her critiques and she likes my stories—for the most part.
 

How do you describe your writing style?
 

I LOVE big screen movies. It’s a really big weakness of mine. So, my writing style is very visual and detailed. I write as though the movie is playing before my eyes. I visualize it happening and write what I see.
 

What is your favorite meal?

I love steak, ribs and other such meats. A great meal would consist of grade A prime rib, about 16 ounces complete with creamy mashed potatoes and seasonal vegies. Oddly enough, I love catsup or BBQ sauce with my steak or prime rib. I can eat steak with a nice double-yoke, easy-over pair of eggs on top! I know… FANTASTIC!
 

What group did you hang out with in high school?

In high school, I mainly hung out with the drama students. I loved hanging out in the theatre room with my friends. I took 3 years of drama in high school and have always loved being in front of a crowd.
 

What are you passionate about these days?

Besides writing and marketing my writing and besides my wife and kid, there are 2 things I am passionate about. I love big screen movies, as mentioned before. I am also a semi-pro photographer. I used to shoot weddings. Right now I love landscape, zoo, and wildlife. I enter shows once in a while; I have won a few awards; and I do sell my work sometimes online. You can see some of my work on my blog.
 

Entice us, what future projects are you considering?
 

I am currently working on a story I recently put a title to—When the Bough Breaks. It’s a semi-paranormal drama. I never write in any foul language or sexual situations, so it’s good for all ages that would understand the story. The story chronicles the past of a young woman on her death bed and a tragic event that must come to some resolve. A few paranormal interventions must also be realized before it’s too late. This story will pull at the heart strings. I’m pretty sure it will only be about 25,000 words long—a novella.
 

What is something people would be surprised to know about you?
 

One thing I think people would be really surprised about is the fact that I cannot type. I use 2 fingers and I have to have my eyes on the keyboard most of the time. I type pretty fast, but I can’t do it without looking at the keyboard.
 
 
 


Steve is the second child of seven born in Los Angeles, California. At twenty-four he moved to Salt Lake City, Utah . Two decades later he still lives in Utah, where he married his beautiful wife, Katie. Today they live in South Jordan, Utah with their 8 month old son, Ozzie and his hairy brother, Duke - a three year old Shih Tzu.

Steve graduated from the University of Utah with a bachelor’s degree in Mass Communications in 2003. For as long as he can remember, Steve has loved to come up with creative and far-fetched stories. Sometime in the early 2000's, he decided to write a novel. He wrote "Port of Errors" in just three months. However, it took him nine years to research, edit and put the missing pieces together. Port of Errors will eventually be a trilogy under the name "Born of Tyranny”.

Steve has now written a second novel, the first in a series of four. "Scapemaker" is a YA paranormal fantasy. The title, at first, was "The Son of Nicholas Namely", until he changed it to the title of the series "Scapemaker". As of January 2013, the second book has a completed, detailed outline and he will begin writing it shortly.

Steve loves photography and is very good at it. He shot weddings for a while, but mainly loves wildlife and landscape. He also loves volleyball and hiking. He has a mountain bike, but never rides it. Finally, he is a sad self-indulgent, fanatically addicted big screen movie junkie!


 

Blog  |  Twitter  |  Goodreads  |  Facebook


No comments: