Being the Third Wheel
By LM Preston
You’ve all been there. As a teenager and an adult. The 3rd Wheel. The friend that accompanies another friend on a date as a chaperone, companion, bail excuse, lookout, body guard and whatever. I played my fair share of 3rd wheel and had friends do the same for me. This came up this weekend with kid who’s just now starting to date. One is going on her first 3rd wheel mission so I gave her the tips below :-D
Here’s some rules and tips.
BE ON THE LOOKOUT FOR THESE SIGNALS
- Your friend hinting that you should go get popcorn or go to the bathroom or jerking her head to the side means, “I like him – get lost”
- Your friend’s boyfriend winking at you over her shoulder means, “I’m a scumbag who’s trying to have my cake and eat it too.”
- Your friend tugs on your shirt and tell you it’s time for a lady’s room break means, “I have to come up with a plan to ditch this bozo.”
DON’Ts FOR THE 3rd Wheel
- Don’t ever fall for your friend’s boyfriend
- Don’t be clingy – be seen and not heard, remember it’s not your date it’s her’s
- Don’t ever stay alone with the said date/boyfriend – this could backfire and friend may become jealous and think you have eyes for her guy.
- Don’t gobble up your friend’s time/conversation – you could be drowning out her date and tick him off and make her lose a good opportunity to meet someone nice
- Don’t make googoo eyes at your friend’s guy no matter how hot he is.
DOs FOR THE 3rd Wheel
- Do talk to your friend before the date to ask her what the signals are (signals to ‘let’s ditch dude’, ‘I’m having a great time – get lost 3rd wheel’, ‘He’s okay, but I’m not going to do another date with him’, ‘He’s a scum who wants us both, lets ditch him instead’)
- Do let her know that you won’t try to impose on her date by talking girl stuff the entire time, so she doesn’t have to feel like she has to entertain both the 3rd wheel and her guy
- Do let her know that you are there for her and all she has to do is let you know what she needs.
SHOULD YOU BE A 3rd Wheel
Well my kid asked me if she should even do this. I told her yes – sometimes, but don’t make it a habit. It’s nice to be able to see what goes on a date without being a participant. And besides, you may need that same friend to 3rd wheel for you.
HAVE YOU BEEN A 3rd Wheel? IF so do you have tips?
By LM Preston, author of Purgatory Reign, www.lmpreston.com
Seventeen-year-old Peter Saints' life stinks. But things are about to get much worse. First, his parents are murdered in front of him. Then another victim dies in his arms.
Visions plague Peter with warnings that something wants him for a sinister cause. It desires the one thing that Peter refuses to give - his blood.
On the run with Angel, a scruffy kid, Peter starts to unravel the mystery. It's the one secret the heavens sought to hide from the world. Unfortunately, when Peter finds the answer he hopes that will save the girl he loves, he opens the door to a great evil that happens to be salivating to meet him.
If you think Purgatory Reign is something you might like to review follow the link to read a sample. If you enjoy please request a review copy.
LM. Preston was born and raised in Washington, DC. An avid reader, she loved to create poetry and short-stories as a young girl. With a thirst for knowledge she attended college at Bowie State University, and worked in the IT field as a Techie and Educator for over sixteen years. She started writing science fiction under the encouragement of her husband who was a Sci-Fi buff and her four kids. Her first published novel, Explorer X - Alpha was the beginning of her obsessive desire to write and create stories of young people who overcome unbelievable odds. She loves to write while on the porch watching her kids play or when she is traveling, which is another passion that encouraged her writing.
Other works by LM Preston