Thursday, April 18, 2013

Lichgates by S.M. Boyce: Character Interview, Excerpt and Review






 



 Character interview with Kara Magari, of the Grimoire Saga by S. M. Boyce

 

Kara Magari is a sarcastic twit and the heroine of the Grimoire Saga by S. M. Boyce. She loves bread and has a thing for bad boys. To learn more about her, you can also check out her page on the Grimoire Encyclopedia.

 

Laurie: Where do you dream of traveling to and why?

Kara: I have always wanted to tour Europe. There’s so much history, and it’s incredible to think the past lives alongside the present. I love that. Touring castles, going on ghost tours…that would be the  best vacation ever.

Laurie: What books have most influenced your life?

Kara: Probably the Grimoire. It’s a book that turns its own pages and can answer any question I ask it—and only I can read its answers. That makes me a target to the rich and powerful, which kind of sucks. A lot of near-death experiences are involved. I’m getting used to it, though.

Laurie: As a child, what did you want to be when you grew up? 

Kara: I wanted to own an adventure company. You know, the sort that take you white water rafting and hiking. I love the outdoors. Now I live a different sort of adventure. I swear I’m escaping a new kidnapper every other week. It’s ridiculous.

Laurie: What is your favorite meal?

Kara: Anything heavy in carbs. Yum. I love bread.

Laurie: Do you play any sports?

Kara: (laughs) I would hurt those around me. I’m chronically ungraceful. Now… it’s not really a sport, I guess, but I’m getting a bit better at sword fighting and close combat—though it’s out of necessity.

Laurie: What do you do to unwind and relax?

Kara: I go hiking. It’s nice to get lost in nature and forget about the world for a while. It’s so easy for me to lose track of time, though, and I don’t get to relax often.

Laurie: What one word best describes you?

Kara: Stubborn. I have to know something is a good  idea before I do it. I don’t do things simply because I’m told, and I don’t trust others easily. Honestly, though, that’s one of the only reasons I’m still alive. I’m not wholly convinced it’s a bad trait.

Laurie: If you could apologize to someone in your past, who would it be?

Kara: (fidgets) My mother. She—uh—she died in a car accident. She was my best friend, and the accident was my fault. If I could go back, I would tell her I’m sorry. Heck, I wouldn’t let her get in a car for the rest of her life if I could help it. But we can’t go back. We have to live with our mistakes, and I’m trying desperately to do that.




Lichgates


Kara Magari is about to discover a beautiful world full of terrifying things--Ourea.

Kara, a college student still reeling from her mother's recent death, has no idea the hidden world of Ourea even exists until a freak storm traps her in a sunken library. With no way out, she opens an ancient book of magic called the Grimoire and unwittingly becomes its master, which means Kara now wields the cursed book's untamed power. Discovered by Ourea's royalty, she becomes an unwilling pawn in a generations-old conflict--a war intensified by her arrival. In this world of chilling creatures and betrayal, Kara shouldn't trust anyone... but she's being hunted and can't survive on her own. She drops her guard when Braeden, a native soldier with a dark secret, vows to keep her safe. And though she doesn't know it, her growing attraction to him may just be her undoing.


For twelve years, Braeden Drakonin has lived a lie. The Grimoire is his one chance at redemption, and it lands in his lap when Kara Magari comes into his life. Though he begins to care for this human girl, there is something he wants more. He wants the Grimoire.


Welcome to Ourea, where only the cunning survive.





Lichgates is FREE
Download your copy now!




Praise for Lichgates

Wow, the world building on this one was breathtaking. The world of Ourea is just full of so many things. Surprises are around every corner.

~Alexia P.



From the first few pages into this story, it was obvious that Boyce has a way with words.

~Author Becca Campbell




Thunder rumbled overhead. A dark cloud churned in the sky, and her heart fell into her stomach; there hadn’t even been a single fluffy cloud up there ten minutes ago. That didn’t make sense at all—how could the weather shift so suddenly?

She glanced to the door and then back up the trail, hesitating, but her decision was soon made for her.

A blinding bolt of moss-colored lightning flashed, striking something in the sinkhole. The hairs on her arms stood on end. Heat coursed through her calves, and she caught her breath. Her ears rang.

Wait. That lightning was definitely green.

The cliff trembled as a deafening boom shattered the air. A drizzle of rain began, but it quickly melted into heavy drops that pelted her skin and clung to her hair. Another rumble coursed along the far edge of the valley. Kara needed shelter, and the last place she would go in a lightning storm was up a hill.

She turned back and twisted the door’s handle, sighing with relief as it openedunlockedand swung inward. Still, as wet as it was outside and as much as she wanted a safe place to wait out the rain, she lingered on the threshold to examine the room.

Mud covered everything from the floor to the ceiling, and since there weren’t any supports to hold the roof, she couldn’t figure out how the ten-by-ten dirt shelter hadn’t caved in yet. The air within was heavy, moist with the rot of dead leaves, and her only guiding light streamed in from behind her. Roots dangled from the ceiling like stalactites reaching for the floor. The wind picked up, howling as it pelted rain against her back.

She tested the ground with her sneaker. The dirt floor supported her weight, so she tip-toed into the room and left the door open. Rain fell in lingering drops on the threshold before disappearing into the growing pools of mud. She stuck her hands in her pockets and watched the raging storm outside.

A flash of dark brown blurred past her.

She jumped. A tan flicker snaked along the roof, and clumps of soil fell in sheets. She glared at the ceiling, holding her breath as the settling dust rained onto her shoes.

It had almost looked like a root moving, but—no, that was crazy.

Another streak of motion raced down the opposite wall. It passed through a shaft of light, and Kara saw its pointed, wooden tip. Tiny veins sprouted from it like hairs, digging into the dirt so that it could travel.

It was a root moving.



4 Stars 
It took me about ten pages before I really began to get into this story.  At first, I wanted to throttle Kara several times because she listened to no one’s council but her own.  Determined to do things her own way, she causes a dreadful calamity to befall her father.  While she retains most of her sarcastic wit and tenacity she does tend to make better decisions (usually) afterwards.
I loved Ourea!  The author does an outstanding job breathing life into the magical place. The characters that populate Ourea are diverse, cantankerous and often deadly.  The political climate is tense and mired in eons of distrust and war.  The story progressed quickly and after I became invested in the goings-on I refused to put the book down until I was finished.  This is the first adventure in a planned series so I was not surprised that the ending left several issues unresolved However, I did experience a general feeling  of satisfaction at the end as Braeden and Kara finally get a little break in order to rest up for the hurdles ahead. I must say, though, I am concerned for Twin.  I think Kara's decision to leave her behind while she and Braedon took off on a brief though important quest may later be revealed as a monumental error in judgment.
Reviewed by Laurie-J
 
 





Author S.M. Boyce

International Amazon Bestseller. Fantasy Author. Twitter addict. Book Blogger. Geek. Sarcastic. Gooey. Odd. Author of the action-packed Grimoire Saga.

S.M. Boyce is a novelist who loves ghosts, magic, and spooky things. She prefers loose-leaf tea, reads far too many books, and is always cold. She’s married to her soul mate and couldn’t be happier. Her B.A. in Creative Writing qualifies her to serve you french fries.


Boyce likes to update her blog a few times each week so that you have something to wake you up in the morning.





Contact



Tour Giveaway

$25 Amazon Gift Card or Paypal Cash

Ends 4/25/13

Open only to those who can legally enter, receive and use an Amazon.com Gift Code or Paypal Cash. Winning Entry will be verified prior to prize being awarded. No purchase necessary. You must be 18 or older to enter or have your parent enter for you. The winner will be chosen by rafflecopter and announced here as well as emailed and will have 48 hours to respond or a new winner will be chosen. This giveaway is in no way associated with Facebook, Twitter, Rafflecopter or any other entity unless otherwise specified. The number of eligible entries received determines the odds of winning. Giveaway was organized by Kathy from I Am A Reader, Not A Writer http://iamareader.com and sponsored by the author. VOID WHERE PROHIBITED BY LAW.






1 comment:

S. M. Boyce said...

Thanks for having me! I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed Lichgates. Thanks for the great review.

-Boyce