Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Endless by Tawdra Kandle: Interview: Promotional Book Tours


 





Are the names of the characters in your novels important?  How and why? Absolutely. Names are big for me, and I never treat them lightly. I believe, as Madeleine L'Engle wrote in "A Wrinkle In Time", that there is power in naming something or someone. So. . .Tasmyn's name evolved. I knew I wanted her to have a different name, not anything run-of-the-mill, because that is something I could write out of, having a very unique name myself. I toyed with quite a few--or more accurately, I listened to Tas, and at first I didn't hear her correctly. It was only much later, actually in the writing of the second book, that I discovered Tasmyn is the feminine of Thomas, which means 'twin'. That ended up having meaning, something I had not planned. Michael and Rafe are both named for powerful angels. . .take that as you will. Nell came already named, and it wasn't until much later that my sister reminded me that the 'villain' of our favorite childhood books was Nellie Oleson. Subconscious at work? Perhaps! And Cathryn, who figures largely in ENDLESS, is named for my third daughter, who asked for a character to be named for her. We thought she was going to be bad, but. . .well. . .read and see.
 

What is the hardest part of writing your books? Getting out of the way of the characters. I find that if I listen to them, they tell me their stories. If I try to jump ahead or move them in a different direction, it doesn't work. Also, I have found that I have to be intentional about removing my own boundaries from the world and people I write. If I am stumped, it's usually because I have put a character or situation in a box that is unnecessary.
 

What does your significant other and family think of your writing career? My family is extremely supportive. My husband is very proud and encouraging. Our life has changed significantly in the past 18 months since my first books came out, and he is understanding when I am working, can't cook, when the laundry does NOT get done. . .when I cannot attend every service or event that I might have in the past. My children also work hard to make my life possible. One daughter took over planning and implementing meals, and the other kids pitch in to an astounding degree. I am very, very blessed. Oh, and they also think it's pretty cool, most of the time, that other people know their mom and her characters.
 

Do you hear from your readers? What kinds of questions do they ask? I do. I love to interact with my readers! They ask quite a bit about my characters. After RESTLESS, most readers wanted to know the question that actually begins ENDLESS: "So what happened next?" People ask me about Nell, what's happening with her, or about Rafe. I have been interested in messages from people who read ENDLESS already and picked up on some clues I left there about some upcoming books. Of course, I almost weekly have questions about my hair and why it's purple. That's always fun, too.

What are you passionate about these daysI am passionate about quite a lot. Indie publishing is definitely one of my passions. I think it is the wave of the future, and I love to talk about the ins and outs of this brave new world. It's fun to educate people who have no idea it even exists.  
 

Entice us, what future projects are you considering? As I mentioned above, I am in the midst of writing a contemporary romance called THE POSSE. It's fun and different from THE KING SERIES. I also have the first book in my adult series coming out this year, as well as at least one of The Serendipity Duet, which are Rafe and Nell's books. And one of my short stories will be included in ETERNAL SUMMER, an anthology that will be released this June. 

 
Thanks for hosting me on your blog, Laurie!
 
 

 

 
Endless

 
After the tumult of her high school senior year, all is right in Tasmyn Vaughan’s world. She’s attending college with her boyfriend, and she’s learning to control her powers. Everything is finally perfect, until it isn’t.


When her new part-time job leads to more than she bargained for, Tasmyn is thrown into a deadly fight against forces of evil that she didn’t even know existed. Mastering her extraordinary gifts—along with the strength of an endless love—may be the only weapon that can guarantee her a happily ever after.


Check out the entire King Series:
Book 1: Fearless
Book 2: Breathless
Book 3: Restless
Book 4: Endless
 

 


  
 
Tawdra Kandle is the author of THE KING SERIES, a young adult urban fantasy quartet. Born in South Jersey, Tawdra published her first short story at the age of 13 in Child’s Life magazine. During the early years of her marriage and motherhood, she wrote articles and columns on parenting and homeschooling, as well as some homeschooling curriculum. THE KING SERIES is her first published full-length fiction. Tawdra currently lives in central Florida with her husband, and children, both skin and fur types. And yes, she has purple hair.





Follow Tawdra Kandle:

Website | Facebook | Twitter | Amazon

 

 

 
 
 
This Weeks' Hosts
 





1 comment:

Tawdra said...

Thank you, Laurie, for the fun interview and for hosting this stop!