Sunday, April 21, 2013

Cursed by Red Harvey: Interview

 
 

 
 
 
How did you start your writing career?
 

My writing career began as a freelance article writer for Yahoo!, with my most-read article being one on the Anthony Weiner scandal. After that, I started getting serious with my creative writing and had little time for article writing.
 

Tell us about your current release.
 

Cursed is my debut novel published by World Castle Publishing on February 15th (Amazon released February 8th). At first, I had self-published the novel under a different name, but I kept on submitting it to various publishing companies. I'm glad I kept at it, even through all the rejections.
 

What was one of the most surprising things you learned while writing your books?
 

One of the most surprising things I learned while writing my books is that I write better without an outline. With Cursed, I used an outline, and since it was my first book, yes it helped. However, after reading books like Stephen King's On Writing and Orson Scott Card's Characters and Viewpoint, I did not want to become (as Card calls it) "a slave to the idea". Rather, I enjoy allowing the characters to lead the story, and I find it makes for more interesting plot developments.
 

Do you use a pen name? If so, how did you come up with it?
 

Red Harvey is indeed my pen name. I came up with it after having a particularly vivid dream in which I saw books laying around my house, and on all the covers, I saw the name Red Harvey. When I woke up, I knew the name was mine, and I started using it.
 

What book are you reading now?
 

Right now, I'm finishing up the sci-fi novel The Gate to Women's Country by Sherri S. Tepper. It's an interesting post-apocalyptic read.
 

What would you consider to be the best book you have ever read? 
 

I best book I've ever read would be Ursula K. LeGuin's sci-fi classic, The Dispossessed. She is an author who takes chronology and turns it on its head, and it works for her! She also writes with a sort of Ray Bradbury flair at times, creating poetry with certain paragraphs. The combination of her unique writing style always keeps me reading on.
 
 
 
 
 
 
Imogen can see the future, not that it does her much good. When ancient spirits haunt her, seeking re-entry into the human world, she struggles for answers. Yet, it's only after the spirits succeed in using Imogen's body as their new vessel that her real journey to save the Earth begins.


Imogen's gift makes her vulnerable to spirits that desire reincarnation. When she moves back to Graydon, she begins a new life. And Imogen's new boyfriend seems to know more about her powers than she does...


Once another psychic informs Imogen of her impending death, she tries everything she can think of to prevent it, even as she knows that fate is inevitable. Once she's dead, Imogen's true test of character is how she can stop the body-thieving demons from destroying all of mankind. 

Cursed is the first novel from author Red Harvey, who takes the reader on a journey involving Native American legends, Hernando De Soto, and the world of a new kind of superhero.
Buy links:
 Amazon  |  Barnes and Noble  |  Smashwords   
 
 


I'm a writer, retail-enthusiast (before you think shop-aholic, think cashier), and student.

Horror, science fiction and fantasy are my favorite genres to write/read. Stephen King is a major influence of mine (you're probably shaking your head, as you've heard it a hundred times before. There's a reason he's cited so often). My other influences include Margaret Atwood, Anne Rice, Elizabeth Hadyon, H.G. Wells, Orson Wells, Issac Asimov, Philip K. Dick, Ursula K. LeGuin, Joanna Russ, and Ray Bradbury. 


As cliched as it sounds, my son made me realize writing is where it's at for me. I've always wanted to write, and I've tinkered with short stories here and there, but after his birth, I actually had the hutzpah to put together and finish an actual novel. After writing "Cursed", I haven't looked back.


I'm glad I get to do what I love in the great city of Hot-lanta, as the low humidity keeps my curls intact. Yes, in fact, I can be that shallow at times. I can also be a Chatty Kathy, and a Nosey Nancy.


Currently, I'm at work on my fourth novel, "Obsolution", a speculative sci-fi project that explores gender roles. 
 
 
Social links: 
 
 



No comments: