Sunday, March 3, 2013

The Broken Destiny by Carlyle Labuschagne: Character Interview and Spotlight


Carlyle Labuschagne is a South African Debut Author working her way into the hearts of international readers with her First Novel “The Broken Destiny. She is not only an author but works as PR and Marketing Manager by day. She holds a diploma in creative writing through the writing school at Collage SA. Loves to swim, fights for the trees, food lover who is driven by passion. Carlyle writes for IU e-magazine an inspirational nonprofit magazine that aims at inspiring the world through words. The drive behind her author career is healing through words. 
Website  |  Blog  |  Twitter   |  Facebook  |  Goodreads
Today we have a very special interview with Ava, heroine of Broken Destiny.

Where do you dream of traveling to and why?

Those who have read about us know I have one desired destination to visit Earth as it was before WW3. I want to see blue skies. Experience their food, people, cultures. Id always wanted to know what it was like to live among their animal species, to have a pet animal must be such an amazing gift.

What was the scariest moment of your life?

I've had my share, one would know my list of potential most frightening moments is long. But it not my fist or second attack, the attempted kidnapping, nor was it when  my body and mind was taken by an Zulu Ancestral    spirit bent on revenge. It was when I thought I had lost Troy because of my actions. Only because of him had experience human emotion for the first time, I was also the first of my kind to "outgrow" The councils medical treatments . Sure it was overwhelming especially with so much going on. So many questions, so much anger, betrayal, regret and guilt. Troy had brought me to live, and I never wanted to let go. Feeling real emotion, the kind that hurts, is Exhilarating, and electric  all at the same time. It was horrible to think Id never feel like that ever again. I'd grown up in a mechanical society where emotions were weak and shunned,  Id never go back to that, and without him I would have to in order to carry on. What really scares me is what I do feel for him, and with us it could end in my next breath. 

What songs are most played on your Ipod?

Well I am afraid to say as I had a friend hack into our network and download the songs that are not available to us. So Ill give you the bands - Amy Stroup, Florence + The Machine , Ellie Goulding, Sia, lykke li , Prime Circle, Hurts, 30 Seconds to Mars , Muse , Linkin Park the list is endless I have thousands of songs, I love music , it gives you hope in times when there is none. 

Who should play you in a film?

My creator has had many hours going through many catalogs,  and honestly Its hard to say, maybe she is just as picky as I am - but here are a few names - Miranda Kerr, Barbara Palvin or Melissa Ordway - here is the link to those images

 Morning Person? Or Night Person? How do you know?

I used to be a night person. Staying up at night was the only me time I had, time to read Mom's secret journals. Id stay up all night to ward of the dreams. Now - Its hard to tell, life has no structure anymore. Day or night is irrelevant. 

What would we find under your bed?

I used to stack paperbooks, those are hard to come by as a owner you know, my moms's journals,  my boots maybe. Now I have lost everything and am lucky to have even a bed.

What books have most influenced your life?

 Every Earth book I have read has had an impact , or stirred something inside of me. The hunger games, The Twilight Saga's, Kristin Cashore Novels, Cassandra Clare is a great Author. I hope these books are indeed real, Id hate to think they too were designed by The Keepers to manipulate me. But I have a feeling they are as they have inspired much in me, and that is something The Council is not capable of. 

As a child, what did you want to be when you grew up?

I don't have many memories of my childhood. But I always knew I wanted love - So that's what I've always wanted to be - Loved. 

Thank you to the wonderful Laurie for me over at her blog today - it has been a great opportunity.


Ava knows much more, and feels much more than she is allowed to. When she starts questioning her origins and the destruction of Earth, things go horribly wrong for her. She is saved by a Minoan boy from an attempted kidnapping on her life – the perpetrators are evil Zulus and their dark ancient magic. Humans and Minoans are forbidden to interact with each other, and as she is taken back to their village she finds out why – they know of her, her kind and her destiny to save a dying race.
Ava must rid them from the Council’s ruling and free the galaxy of The Shadow. Her destiny is to rise above the fall, because within her soul is the key to an archaic weapon that has been missing in the mix of a genetic code since the time of the ancients. As the prophecy unfolds she learns of her bloodline – a bloodline that makes her less human than she could ever have imagined.
She alone has the power to destroy or save, but the mind-shift is a horrible thing. Ava will become what she hates to save the ones she loves. Beaten, poisoned, possessed and betrayed by her own emotions, she has no choice but to rise above it all… for that is her Destiny. 

The Broken Destiny was voted #3 on the


All my life, I had searched for something, something I thought I ought to be. I felt like I was living someone else’s life, waiting for the awakening of my own. I felt like an empty shell burning for life. That was, until the day I lay dying in the prince’s chambers. I could no longer feel the pain from the tear in my gut. The only sensation left was a hollowed-out feeling that I had made a huge mistake in assuming that taking my own life, would have stopped the ancestors’ spirit from raging out. I had given up. I didn’t want to see myself killing the ones I loved. I was the Chosen one, but I threw it all away for what I thought would save a life. Could you end a life to save a life? I did, and I have regretted it ever since. I realized then that things like me are not meant to exist. What had been missing my whole life? It was I. To find myself, I had to lose myself in the worst possible way. The consequences of my actions became the legend of The Broken.


1 comment:

Len Phelps said...

Awesome character interview!! I enjoyed reading it.. Thank you so much for the great giveaway!