Sunday, March 24, 2013

Stitch by Samantha Durante: Character and Author Interview, Excerpt

 






 
Author & Character Interview with Samantha Durante and Alessa from Stitch

Samantha: Hi Laurie!  Thanks so much for hosting me and Alessa today!
Alessa: Very excited to meet you, Laurie!
Laurie: Okay, first question – if I came to visit early in the morning would you impress me as being more like a chirpy bird or a grumpy bear?
Samantha: Chirpy bird!  As long as it’s sunny out, at least… if it’s a gloomy day, I might crawl back in bed.
Alessa: *Probably* a grumpy bear.  Sorry, Laurie – I’m a college student, I need my sleep!
Laurie: What makes you happy?
Samantha: That’s an easy one – my family!  And my cat in particular.  I dropped my whole life to move back across the country and be near my loved ones after I realized that I’d never be happy without them, so as you can imagine, they’re what brings me joy.  Even though they drive me nuts a lot of the time!
Alessa: (smiles wistfully) My family, too.  Before I lost them all, anyway.  I miss them so much.
Samantha: :’-(  Sorry, Less.  (grabs her hand)  At least you’ve still got your sis.
Alessa: I don’t know what I’d do without her. (sighs)  Without her, and cheese. (grinning)
Samantha: YES, cheese!  Cheese makes me happy too!
Laurie: What was the scariest moment of your life?
Samantha: Oh wow, I’d have to think about that one… Alessa?
Alessa: Haha, this is a little easier for me, considering I’ve had a LOT of scary moments lately…  Let’s see.  I *thought* the scariest moment was when a GHOST turned up in my dorm room!  But then when I found out what the ghost *really* was, and my entire world came crashing down around me, and I realized that pretty much everything I did was a life or death decision… well, that was definitely scarier.
Samantha: Don’t say anymore!  You’ll give away the twist!!
Alessa: Okay, okay – my lips are sealed.
Samantha: My scariest moment was basically the entire year leading up last fall, when I knew I would be releasing Stitch (which was my first book), getting married to my best friend, and buying the adorable little house of my dreams all in the span of a few weeks.  It just seemed like I was getting every good thing that I ever wanted all at once, and I kept waiting for the other shoe to drop – for like me or one of my loved ones to die, or something else horrible to happen that would just overshadow all the good in my life.  Luckily, nothing did.  But I’m still waiting!  Lol.  (knock on wood)
Laurie: All right, last question!  What are you passionate about these days?
Alessa: The rebellion.
Samantha: Shh!  Nobody knows about!
Alessa: Sorry!  I mean, uh… my sorority?
Samantha: Pfft!  That’s a lie! (laughing)
Alessa: Haha, I know, I can barely stand my sorority.  I guess… just getting back on my feet and pulling my life together after all the bad stuff that’s happened recently – that’s my mission right now.
Samantha: Much better. (winking)  I’m passionate about *readers* - it’s been such an incredible experience to share Stitch with the world and hear everyone’s reactions in their reviews and on their blogs and in all the amazing Goodreads groups I’m lucky to be a part of (shout out to Lovers of Paranormal and New Adult Book Club!).  I’m just dying to finish the next book in the trilogy, Shudder, so I can get it to fans.  Can’t wait to hear what you guys think!
 
  
 
 
Her heart races, her muscles coil, and every impulse in Alessa’s body screams at her to run… but yet she’s powerless to move.

Still struggling to find her footing after the sudden death of her parents, the last thing college freshman Alessa has the strength to deal with is the inexplicable visceral pull drawing her to a handsome ghostly presence.  In between grappling with exams and sorority soirees – and disturbing recurring dreams of being captive in a futuristic prison hell – Alessa is determined to unravel the mystery of the apparition who leaves her breathless.  But the terrifying secret she uncovers will find her groping desperately through her nightmares for answers.

Because what Alessa hasn’t figured out yet is that she’s not really a student, the object of her obsession is no ghost, and her sneaking suspicions that something sinister is lurking behind the walls of her university’s idyllic campus are only just scratching the surface…

The opening installment in a twist-laden trilogy, Stitch spans the genres of paranormal romance and dystopian sci-fi to explore the challenges of a society in transition, where morality, vision, and pragmatism collide leaving the average citizen to suffer the results.
 
 
 
 

She woke to the sound of heavy boot steps marching down the hall and the familiar pang in her hip bones wrought from too many nights on a rigid metal cot.  The back of her throat ached from the icy air that’d ravaged her lungs all night; she could almost see her breath as she let out a weary sigh, resigned to another day in this hell. 

What time was it?  It was always difficult to tell from within her dim windowless cell.  She listened as the footsteps approached, attuned to the jangle of the keys in the guard’s pocket and the soft clap of the rifle against his back.  Then she heard something she hadn’t noticed before – a second set of footsteps, softer than the guard’s, following slightly behind. 

She shot up with a quick gasp, adrenaline surging through her body and firmly shaking off the last wisps of her semi-peaceful slumber.  The footsteps paused outside her door as she registered the soft whooshing of a lab coat and the gentle tapping of fingertips against a tablet.  She was certain now that they had finally come to fulfill their grisly promise. 

As the heavy automatic locks on her cell door released with a tumultuous clang, she turned to face her captors.  Thinking only of him, she steeled her resolve for whatever unspeakable nightmare awaited her.

 
 
 Samantha Durante lives in Westchester County, New York with her husband, Sudeep, and her cat, Gio. Formerly an engineer at Microsoft, Samantha left the world of software in 2010 to pursue her entrepreneurial dreams and a lifelong love of writing. A graduate of the University of Pennsylvania’s Jerome Fisher Program in Management & Technology, Samantha is currently working full time for her company Medley Media Associates as a freelance business writer and communications consultant. Stitch is her first novel. Learn more about Samantha at www.samanthadurante.com.
 
  

 
 
 e-book giveaway of Stitch
(format of the winner’s choice – mobi/Kindle, epub/Nook, or pdf)

 
 


No comments: