Saturday, March 30, 2013

Oracle of Philadelphia by Elizabeth Corrigan: Interview: Red Adept Publishing Tour Stop

 
 




 
Tell me a little bit about yourself.
My name is Carrie, and I run a diner in South Philadelphia. That takes up most of my time, because I don’t really have much of a staff. Which is okay because I also don’t have many customers. I like running the diner well enough, but the main purpose for the diner is to serve as a front for dispensing oracular advice.
You see, I have his gift, where I can see into other people’s hearts and read their minds. When I meet someone, I get an overall impression—Are they good? Are they bad? What is essential to their character? But I can also pick up transient moods and thoughts.
That’s probably the most notable thing about me, but it’s also worth noting that I’m 8,000 years old. I look good for my age, don’t I? Back in Ancient Mesopotamia, the rulers of my village were so enamored of my gift that they decided I should live forever. So they made a deal with Lucifer that traded ten of the villagers’ souls in exchange for my eternal life and, thankfully, youth. Immortality wasn’t something I sought, or anything that I particularly wanted, but I’m stuck with it now.
Anyway, that pretty much sums me up. Immortal oracle with a diner.


Of all the time periods and places you’ve lived it, what was your favorite and why? 
That’s actually a very interesting question with a very boring answer: Now.  
Don’t get me wrong. I’ve lived in some fascinating cultures and worn about every hairstyle from a shaved head to powdered wigs. I lived in Ancient Rome, Egypt, and Greece. I visited Japan before the Europeans ever discovered the Far East and resided in China for the Boxer Rebellion. I was even in London for the Jack the Ripper incident, which is a story I’ll have to tell sometime. 
But, seriously, history sounds a lot more romantic than it is. I continue to wonder at the marvels of creation that are indoor plumbing and refrigeration. Oh, and air conditioning. I cannot tell you how much I love air conditioning. And the smells! Or, rather, the lack of them. It is not possible to put enough emphasis on how much hygiene has improved my olfactory experience of life.

What songs are most played on your Ipod?
 
Confession time. I’m not 100% sure what an ipod is. A music playing device, right? I know I just rhapsodized about how much I love modern technology, but sometimes I’m a little slow to catch on. I have finally figured out the whole cellular phone thing, and I even have one that takes pictures. 
Anyway, I don’t have an ipod. But I do have a juke box in my diner. It’s been broken for about 20 years, but that doesn’t matter because it’s entirely under the command of my demon roommate Bedlam. He makes it play whatever he feels like listening to, which can be and pretty much has been anything you can imagine. We don’t discuss the month it played nothing but Gregorian chant interspersed with madrigals. Or his Grateful Dead phase. 
When Bedlam decides to suck up to me and put on what I like, the juke box plays Bach. Or 80s dance music.

What do you do to unwind and relax?
 
If I’ve had a stressful day, I like to go dancing.  Bedlam and I have been dancing together for over three thousand years, so we’re pretty good at it, if I do say so myself. Sometimes he fires up the juke box in the diner, and sometimes we go out clubbing or go find somewhere we can do ballroom dance. Bedlam is dying for us to go on that celebrity dancing show, but I told him that I’m not becoming famous just so that he can show up all the professionals. 
Who should play you in a film?
 
I actually hope that no one ever makes a movie about my life, because that will mean I have entirely failed at staying under the radar, and people will no doubt be hounding me from all sides for my advice and input. But in a perfectly hypothetical sense, my current choice would be Samantha Barks, who played Eponine in the recent Les Misérables. Other acceptable options include Vanessa Hudgens and Nina Dobrev, though the latter is definitely too thin to be a realistic me.


What would we find under your bed?
 
Shoes. Lots and lots of shoes. But not for the reason you’re thinking. Bedlam can teleport anywhere he wants and bring anything non-living back with him. So he visits places all over the globe and buys me presents. With my money. He goes through various phases, and a few years ago it was shoes. He brought me back all kinds of strange and exotic shoes, more than I could ever possibly wear. My apartment is really small, and my closet is even smaller. But Bedlam gets upset if I throw away his gifts, so a lot of them ended up under the bed.

 
 


Elizabeth has degrees in English and psychology and has spent several years working as a data analyst in various branches of the healthcare industry. When she’s not hard at work on her next novel, Elizabeth enjoys singing, reading teen vampire novels, and making Sims of her characters.
She drinks more Diet Coke than is probably optimal for the human body and is pathologically afraid of bees. She lives in Maryland with two cats and a purple Smart Car.



 
 
Carrie works at a diner in South Philadelphia, dispensing advice to humans and angels wise enough to seek her counsel. But there are some problems that even the best advice can’t solve.

Her latest supplicant, Sebastian, is unique among those who have sought her aid. He sold his soul to a demon in exchange for his sister’s life, but his heart remains pure.

Carrie has lived for millennia with the knowledge that her immortality is due to the suffering of others, and she cannot bear to see another good man damned when it is within her power to prevent it.

In order to renegotiate his contract, Carrie must travel into the depths of hell and parley with the demons that control its pathways. As the cost of her journey rises, Carrie must determine how much she is willing to sacrifice to save one good soul.
 
 
 
 

 
 
 

 

 

 

March 29, 2013 Through April 19, 2013 

March 29: Review on Mallory Heart Reviews
March 29: Interview on KBoards
March 30: Interview on Laurie’s Thoughts & Reviews
March 30: Review on Literary Musings
March 31: Guest Post on Reading Between the Wines
April 1: Interview on The IndieView
April 2: Interview & Guest Post on The Pen & Muse
April 3: Guest Post on Big Al’s Books & Pals

 MORE

 



 

1 comment:

Elizabeth said...

Thanks for hosting my tour! For more information, your readers can visit me on-line at www.ElizabethRCorrigan.com