Tuesday, February 19, 2013

The Summoner's Tale by Victoria Danann: Character Interview and Review: Bewitching Tour Stop


 






An Interview with Aelsong Hawking



Laurie: I'd like to introduce Aelsong Hawking, Rammel's younger sister. She is a gifted psychic in her own right who has been recruited by The Order of the Black Swan. First, is it alright if I call you Song?


Song: Aye. Many do. 


Laurie: Thank you. So, Song, what's it like to be Ram's younger sister?


Song: Well, I do no' want to be impolite. 'Tis your interview and I suppose you can ask what you wish, but I was hopin' for a bit more originality from you.


Laurie: Originality? What do you mean?


Song: Did no' escape my notice that the first thing you said about me, after my name, is that  I'm Rammel's younger sister. I am always someone's younger sister first and me second.  'Tis either, what's it like to be the younger sister of the king? Or what's it like to be sibs with Ram?


Laurie: I see what you mean.


Song: (sighs) Aye. But you still want to know more about what it was like to grow up in the shadow of bigger-than-life boys.


Laurie: (Shrug apologetically.)


Song: To begin with, when I was a child, he was only home half the time. He was always fightin' with Blood or with our da. When he had enough of it, he would run off and live by himself in the forest like a wild thin'. When he was home the things were always lively. Either everybody was upset about the fightin' or upset  about some other thin' he'd done. He had no use for rules. I can tell you that much.                

 I was only ten when he went away to "boardin' school". (She gestured with air quotes.) I thought they had sent him to a sort of correctional facility for juvenile misfits. Of course now we know he signed on with Black Swan. (Her face broke into a big grin.)  And we all know how that turned out.


Laurie: I'd like to hear your thoughts on how that turned out.


Song: I was always proud of him, but bein' invited to his induction into the Hall of Heroes was, well, it was somethin' I'll never forget.


Laurie: So you thought he'd been sent away to military school for bad behavior?


Song: Aye. 'Tis what everyone thought at the time. Well, everyone but our parents who  knew the truth I suppose. Blood was insufferably smug about it. Ram was livin' in a castle in Provence that had been a stronghold of the Knights Templar. The Order loves to purchase places with histories that are of interest to the Historical Department. Anyway, they renovated and converted it. So far as the locals knew it was a very exclusive boarding school for boys. So exclusive (she chuckles) you can't even make application. 'Tis invitation only which happened to be the fact of it.


 When he would come home for holidays, all of a sudden all the girls wanted to be my friend which was a pain in Paddy's Ass. He's not that cute.


Laurie: Actually he is, Song, and you should be grateful because you look just like him. Feminine version.


Song: Well, are you no' the flatterer? In any case, I have more opportunities to spend time with him now than I did when we were growin' up.


Laurie: So you get along well with your new sister-in-law?


Song: Aye. I could no' have hoped for better. The two of them are very funny because she will fuss over me privately and say, "Do no' tell your brother I did this." Then he will tell me somethin' or other and say, "Do no' tell Elora I said this."


Laurie: You seem to like all Ram's friends.


Song: Oh, aye. 


Laurie: Is that all you have to say on the subject?


Song: (narrows eyes) Are you fishin' for somethin' in particular?


Laurie: I was wondering how you feel about Baka for instance.


Song: Oh. (she laughs) You're hopin' for the dish. I do no' mind tellin' you that Baka is a beautiful man who is also a generous and skilled lover, but he is human, sort of, and no' mate material - just a lovely diversion.


Laurie: Alright, enough said. So, how's the new job and what do you think of Edinburgh?           


Song: I'm adjustin'. Never shared a room before and now I basically live in a walk-in closet with two beds and a roommate. As roommates go I could have done a lot worse. So far as the work goes, they've no' given me anythin' to do. They just test and test and test endlessly. The only actual work I've done was on the side when Katrina went missin' and Ram asked me to look for her.


 So far as Edinburgh goes, 'tis more like a prison than anythin' else. I' no' really free to go out like everybody else because, as Ram says, 'tis Fairyland and  no' safe for elves.


Laurie: But you have met some. Some Fae that is.


Song: Aye.


Laurie: Nothing else to say?


Song: You know perfectly well that I promised Elora no' to say a word.


Laurie: I was just testing.


Song: Oh, very funny. You should write comedy.


Laurie: Hmmm. Anything else you'd like to say?


Song: Aye. I have a minor role in The Summoner's Tale, but 'tis important. Even crucial you might say. In fact, the entire outcome depends on my ability. Can no' say more without spoilin' the fun of readin' the story for yourselves. I would like to  tell my fans, though, that I have a much bigger part in BOOK FOUR.


Laurie: You mean if I don't change my mind.


Song: (Gives me a super confident look of superiority.) Do that and you can expect a visit from my big brother.

 

The series, The Order of the Black Swan, is written as a serial meaning that each book begins soon after the previous book ended and continues the story from there. For that reason READING IN ORDER IS HIGHLY RECOMMENDED. 

BOOK ONE My Familiar Stranger (download for FREE at Amazon, B&N, Apple, Kobo, and Smashwords. 

BOOK TWO The Witch's Dream available in print and e-book from Amazon 

BOOK THREE The Summoner's Tale releases February 14, 2013 on Amazon.
 
 

 

The Summoner's Tale
Victoria Danann
The Order of the Black Swan Book Three
ISBN: 978-1-933320-67-0
E-Book
ISBN: 978-1-933320-80-9 Paperback 
DESCRIPTION: 
A secret society, a witch, a psychic, vampires, modern day knights, heroes, elves, fae, assassins from another dimension, and fairytales come together where emotions intersect. Two souls, joined by a mystical bond, separated by distance, must simultaneously struggle through pain and darkness in an ultimate confrontation with character and an ultimate struggle for life proving that true love waits patiently through lifetimes and finds courage to survive. Even in the strangest places. Even when you're least expecting it. Even when you're far, far from home.
Erotic quotient: Some steamy scenes. No menage. No BDSM.
READING THE SERIES IN ORDER HIGHLY RECOMMENDED.
 
Book Two
The Witch’s Dream 
By Victoria Danann
The Order of the Black Swan
Book Two
Genre: Paranormal Romance / Paranormal Adult Fantasy / Urban Fantasy
Publisher: 7th House
ISBN: 978-1-933320-56-4
E-Book
ISBN: 978-1-933320-63-2
paperback 
ASIN: B009LXOKQW
Pages: 300 -5×7 book
Word Count: 100,000
BOOK TRAILER: http://youtu.be/BGKm-A1JqbI  
Book Description:
Amazon BEST SELLER Fantasy Romance. 
READING THE SERIES IN ORDER HIGHLY RECOMMENDED. 
SMART.  SEXY.  MAGICAL. 
From New York to Ireland to Edinburgh to Siena to the Texas Hill Country to Napa Valley, a secret society, a witch, a demon, a psychic, a berserker, an ex-vampire, modern day knights, heroes, werewolves, elves and fae come together where emotions intersect. The story maps a trail from rages to hunts to epiphanies, but, in the end, proves that true love can find you in the strangest places, when you're least expecting it, even when you're far, far from home.
 
He was left behind when Elora Laiken made her choice. Now he’s had it with love, but a transplanted witch who happens to be the world’s best tracker hopes she can change his mind.
The Witch’s Dream begins with B Team on temporary assignment to Black Swan headquarters in Edinburgh where they are supposed to fill in for stretched-thin resources and assist with a werewolf issue. They’ve been given permission to stop in Ireland for a few days and help celebrate a handfasting at the palace in Derry.  
When they reach Edinburgh, the afterglow of an elftale wedding quickly turns all business. A missing person report turns into a demon abduction. A simple werewolf sanction becomes a diplomatic issue requiring the one thing Elora is no longer willing to give - finesse.
Erotic quotient: A few steamy scenes. No menage. No BDSM.
 

Book One
 
 
My Familiar Stranger
By Victoria Danann

The Order of the Black Swan
Book One
Genre: Paranormal Romance
Publisher: 7th House
ISBN: 978-1-933320-49-6 E-Book
ISBN: 978-1-933320-77-9 paperback
ASIN: B007V8RAKW
Number of pages: 360
Word Count: 111,268

Book Description: 
Thirteen times on Amazon Best Seller List in Fantasy Romance. 

A secret society, modern day knights, and vampires come together for a once in a lifetime adventure and a once in a lifetime opportunity proving that true love can find you in the strangest places, even far, far from home.

Minutes ahead of inevitable assassination, Elora Laiken is forcibly transported to an alternate dimension similar, but not identical, to her own. 

Of course a girl could suffer worse problems than having gorgeous suitors. Perhaps more importantly, in the midst of an epidemic of vampire related abductions, can she stay alive long enough to choose between an honor debt, true love, or the breathlessness of single-minded passion? 

My Familiar Stranger is a full length, stand alone, Paranormal Romance novel that also sets up the foundation for the Black Swan series. It is loved by fans of paranormal romance, fantasy romance, and urban fantasy.  

Erotic quotient: A few steamy scenes. No menage. No BDSM.   

Purchase Links: Amazon  Smashwords Barnes&Noble iTunes

 

5 Stars

This book grabbed my attention early on and did not let up.  I was transported in my mind to a destination full of danger, excitement, humor, and romance. The characters were bigger than life, but I was easily able to relate to their individual dispositions.  One of the things I most liked about this story is the way in which a slip of a girl, an outsider no less, comes into a staid, all-male enclave and turns it on its ear.  It was an absolute joy to behold.  Obviously, I love strong female characters that are not afraid to stand up for themselves.  Elora Laiken is definitely no shrinking violet and I loved her for that. Another thing I truly liked about this book is that the main characters are not promiscuous. Elora struggles with her feelings for three men but she also puts the welfare of others above her own desires. 
Obviously, I enjoy a bit of dangerous romance, but what I absolutely love reading is action and adventure stories with characters that make me care about them.  This book excels in doing just that.  The next two books are also available now and you can bet that they are already on my reading list!
This book was given to me by the author in exchange for my honest review.
Reviewed by Laurie-J



For the past fourteen years, Victoria has illustrated and authored Seasons of the Witch calendars and planners for 7th-House.com. 
Though works of fiction are a departure for me, I have had this series simmering on the back burner of her mind for years. In addition to authoring and illustrating Seasons of the Witch, I play rock music and manage one of Houston's premier R&B/Variety/Pop bands. 

This series will include some of my actual experience in the paranormal with fictionalized anecdotes from my journals during the years when I was a practicing "metaphysician", but most of the material is fantasy. 



 
 
 

1 comment:

Victoria Danann said...

Dear Laurie -

Thank you for the lovely review of My Familiar Stranger and for featuring the release of A Summoner's Tale on your blog. I hope you enjoy Books 2 and 3 just as much.

My Best,
Victoria