Wednesday, February 27, 2013

The Puppet Spell by E L Adams: Character Interview, Review, Excerpt

 



 

Today I’m interviewing Lexa, heroine of The Puppet Spell

 

Where do you dream of traveling to and why?

Lexa: I really want to travel around the world. I’ve been making a scrapbook of places I want to go to. Paris is top of the list at the moment! 

Tell us about your family.

Lexa: They’re insane. No, really. My sister defines ‘drama queen’ and can’t get through the day without starting an argument with one of us. We live with our scatterbrained, crazy uncle who hides out in his shed all the time and can’t seem to find a steady job. Then there’s our weird cat. I swear he’s laughing at me right now…


Do you play any sports? 

Lexa: Definitely not. I always seem to mess up team sports like netball, and I nearly hit myself in the head last time I played tennis. I don’t mind playing Wii Sports, though. 

What do you do to unwind and relax?

Lexa: No one does much relaxing with my sister in the house! But when she’s out, I like to chill out with a book. 

If I came to visit early in the morning would you impress me as being more like a chirpy bird or a grumpy bear?

Lexa: I’m quite pleasant in the morning, unlike my delightful sister! She should have a sign on her head saying, ‘Disturb and die!’ 

Do your friends think you are an introvert or an extrovert? Why?

Lexa: Definitely an introvert. Lucinda’s the opposite! Sometimes I think me and my sister come from different planets. 

Do you have any hobbies?


Lexa: I like reading and playing video games with Marlon. I’m not a fan of zombie games though!


If you had one wish, what would it be?


Lexa: I sometimes wish I could get away from my sister for a while…is that her, now? I’d better go before she-

*door crashes open*

Lucinda: What’s going on? Who’s this?

Lexa: Um…no one. Quick, go before she starts talking!

Lucinda: What’s happening?

Lexa: I told you, nothing. Have you shut the cat in the cupboard again?

*muffled scratching sound*

Lucinda: Yeah, so?

Lexa: That’s mean.

Lucinda: I don’t like that cat. He always looks like he’s laughing at me.

Lexa: He probably is.

Lucinda: UNCLE DEVON! LEXA’S TELLING A STRANGER ABOUT OUR FAMILY!

Lexa: No I’m not! Go, quickly!

*Laurie Skedaddles quickly*  {interview ends abruptly}
 
 
 
 
 
 



The Puppet Spell



Unlike her rebellious sister Lucinda, fifteen-year-old Lexa prefers to spend her free time playing video games, fighting the forces of evil with her partner-in-crime Marlon. But when Lucinda steals an invisibility potion from their uncle’s storeroom, she unleashes chaos into their lives. Lexa and Marlon find themselves catapulted into a world far more dangerous than any video game, full of misleading illusions, sinister Conjurors and deadly Fey, and threatened by a man with a grudge known as the Puppeteer. Accompanied only by Lexa’s uncle’s unreliable (and rather dangerous) Chimera, Lexa and Marlon must navigate this world to find Lucinda- before they too fall under the spell of the puppet master...







'OMG, my hat goes off to Miss Adams. "The Puppet Spell", is a mind-bogglingly crafted novel...I love the intricate web that is interwoven throughout the story. It leaves you wondering what's real and what has been created from the mind of Adams. It's Harry Potter meets The Matrix. It's a fast-paced story that left me gripping the end of my seat waiting for the next scene to start. Adams's debut novel is a must have! Its original take on magic and other worlds will have you placed under a spell of its own.' - YA author Elle A. Rose (Amazon review)



'Adams has crafted an entertaining fantasy tale with some nicely creepy moments. This novel is aimed at a young audience and should be extremely well received...a brilliantly written adventure story.' - Fantasy author Sharon Stevenson (Amazon review)



"it is easy to see that you are a very gifted writer. I am so impressed by your talent and the story. It has appeal not only for kids but adults as well. I think you will go far with this. Six stars!" - Authonomy review



"You have a wonderful narrative voice for children’s literature." - Authonomy review



"To me it felt like a mixture between Narnia and Dr Who, whilst at the same time being very original and not easy to predict." - Authonomy review



"You have a great idea and have written it wonderfully! The writing is clean and consice, with no words wasted. Your settings and circumstances are described vividly and placed me in the story. All of the characters have distinct personalities and their quirkiness is fresh. You are obviously very talented! This story is put together incredibly well. Highly marketable, very highly starred, and most enjoyable." - Authonomy review



"High stars from me – this is one of the most satisfying reads in this genre I’ve come across in a while." - Authonomy review


Read Chapter One:

http://throughthegateway.blogspot.co.uk/2012/11/the-puppet-spell-teaser.html





Purchase

Amazon * Kobo



Goodreads


 ‘What’re you looking at?’ Lucinda had joined me.
‘Nothing,’ I replied automatically.
‘What’s in there?’
Before I could say a word, she strode past me. I heard her fumbling around, trying to find the door handle.
‘Wait a minute,’ I said. ‘Are you sure it isn’t someone’s room? You don’t want to go barging in! Besides, I’m pretty sure it’s locked -’
Lucinda ignored me. I heard the clunk of wood as she tried to pull the door open, but it wouldn’t budge.
‘Luce  -’
Lucinda raised a fist and knocked. ‘Is anyone in there?’
Plainly, there wasn’t. But the dark space seemed to grab her voice and throw it back at her, like a game of catch. I realised how cold it was; the night had stolen every vestige of warmth from the house, and here in particular there seemed to be a constant draft, as if from an open window.
‘Open the door!’ She hammered on it with both fists. I heard a thud as the door swung inwards without warning, and Lucinda very nearly fell flat on her face.
‘Smooth,’ I said, with a snigger; usually I was the clumsy one. ‘What is it? A cupboard?’
‘It’s a laboratory.’ Her eyes were wide.
‘Yeah, right.’
‘No, seriously. Look.’
I peered into the room. Faint light seeped through a high window, illuminating the endless rows of bottles and boxes on shelves set in rows facing the door. I realised at once that the coldness I’d felt had been coming from here: the room was like a giant refrigerator.
Lucinda walked up to the nearest shelf and picked up a bottle.
‘Luce! Don’t touch anything. I don’t think we’re supposed to be in here.’
The words came out automatically, but even as I spoke them I joined her by the shelf. After all, I was just as curious as she was.
The bottles contained concoctions of all colours, some of them colours I wasn’t sure even existed. Some exuded a glittering light; some streams of smoke; and some an odd sense of menace. One in particular, a blood-red solution, made the hairs on my arms stand up just to look at it. There was something unearthly about the way it glowed, as if it possessed a life of its own.
A peculiar smell hung in the air, like burning flowers. It caught in my nose like dandelion feathers.
‘What’s this? Frankenstein’s lab?’
‘Probably a prank set up by those students,’ I said, squinting at the label on a bottle of greenish powder. ‘Is there a light switch?’
Lucinda darted over to the door and flicked a switch. Fluorescent lights gleamed overhead, making the room look even more laboratory-like. I became aware of a low humming sound, a minute vibration that shook the floorboards.
I looked back at the bottle. The label read, ‘Instantaneous Invisibility: three doses.’
‘An invisibility potion.’ I stared at it, as if the letters might rearrange themselves at will. ‘Are you kidding me?’





MY REVIEW

4 STARS

 

This is a fun story that I read quickly and enjoyed.  I loved the imaginative adventures Lexa and Marlon found themselves a part of.  Unusual characters are made believable as they were brought to life in the story.  I adored Lexa’s voice throughout, and sometimes laughed out loud at some of her speculations. Lucinda is one of the most disagreeable and selfish characters I’ve come across in quite a while; yet, I still felt her tug at my sympathies, on occasion.  Then, a few paragraphs later, I wanted to toss her in a dark dungeon and throw away the key.  What a trial she is!

The twins are inherently capable of magic, and come from a long line of Overseers but know nothing of this until Lucinda pilfers a potion from a hidden room and disappears. Ever since their Uncle Devon took the orphans in, he has tried determinedly to keep the girls safe and ignorant of his real job. Now, however, with Lucinda’s disappearance, that all changes.

This book was provided to me by the author in exchange for my honest review.
Reviewed by Laurie-J     






Author E.L. Adams



Emma is a 21-year-old author from Birmingham, UK. When she isn't reading voraciously, studying, or taking every opportunity to travel, she can be found in front of her writing desk.



Having aspired to be a writer since the age of ten, Emma aims to give life to her (admittedly bizarre) daydreams, through creating weird and wonderful alternative worlds. Her debut novel THE PUPPET SPELL, published in January 2013 by Rowanvale Books, is a fantasy tale for young adults and the young at heart, inspired by her lifelong love of traditional fantasy, mythology, and video games.



When not living the crazy life of an English Literature with Creative Writing student at Lancaster University, Emma reluctantly resides in the attic in her parents' house in Birmingham. Local rumour is that she is working on a dark fantasy series for mature young adults featuring demons and other assorted night terrors.














Tour Giveaway

$25 Amazon Gift Card

Ends 3/10/13



Open only to those who can legally enter, receive and use an Amazon.com Gift Code. Winning Entry will be verified prior to prize being awarded. No purchase necessary. You must be 18 or older to enter or have your parent enter for you. The winner will be chosen by rafflecopter and announced here as well as emailed and will have 48 hours to respond or a new winner will be chosen. This giveaway is in no way associated with Facebook, Twitter, Rafflecopter or any other entity unless otherwise specified. The number of eligible entries received determines the odds of winning. Giveaway was organized by Kathy from I Am A Reader, Not A Writer http://iamareader.com and sponsored by the author. VOID WHERE PROHIBITED BY LAW.










1 comment:

Emma Adams said...

Hi Laurie,

Thanks for hosting me and for your lovely review! :)