Wednesday, February 27, 2013

The Chosen by Theresa Meyers: Interview & Spotlight: Bewitching Tour Stop


How did you start your writing career?

My first story was Lucille the Ladybug that I wrote, illustrated and bound together and put into the Santa Clara County Fair in 1979. It got a blue ribbon. J I started writing on my first romance novel when I was 17 as part of a self-designed elective where as long as my friends and I wrote pages, we got an A.


Tell us about your current release.


My current release is my steampunk paranormal romance, The Chosen, the third book in the Legend Chronicles series, featuring three brothers named after their father’s favorite guns. It’s the fast-paced adventure of attorney/Hunter Remington Jackson – the middle of the Jackson brothers. He needs to find the last missing piece of the Book of Legend to help close the Gates of Nyx from a flood of Darkin trying to enter our world and to do it he needs the help of a master thief – Darkin shape-shifter China McGee. There’s just a few problems. First, China use to be romantically entangled with his younger brother, Colt. Second, she happens to be the estranged daughter of the biggest Darkin bad-ass out there, his arch-nemisis, Rathe, and third, the missing piece of the Book is hidden deep within the jungles of southern Mexico in an Aztec death trap he has little to no chance of escaping from alive. Other than that, he’s got three weeks before the gates open and all hell breaks loose.


Do you listen to music while writing? If so what?


Good question. I actually find that creating a sound track for each book really helps me get into the book faster when I have limited amounts of time to write. It’ll have everything from hair bands of the 80s to steampunk music to country western, ABBA and heavy metal. It all depends on the book. For The Chosen, the first song on the mix was “Cowboy Casanova” by Carrie Underwood. I know, but it fit him so perfectly, right down to the line about “he’s the devil in disguise a snake with blue eyes and he’ll only come out at night. Give you feelings that you don’t want to fight, you better run for your life.”


What was the scariest moment of your life?


It was when we were sight-seeing as kids by a river near our house. There was this place called the Narrows where the whole river compacted down to about a ten foot span, 40 foot deep, and was shot between two huge walls of solid rock. My shoe slipped on the wet rocks and I slipped into the river right above the Narrows and thought for sure I was going to be sucked down and drown. I’ve never swam so hard in all my life to get back to shore.


How do you develop your plots and your characters? Do you use any set formula?


Most of the time I do my plotting in a three-part method. I brainstorm ideas for the story and the characters, then starting putting those ideas down on different colored sticky notes that I put into a plot board. Once I’ve got my plot board sorted out and am happy with the kinds of patterns I see in the flow of the story and characters, making sure I haven’t dropped any subplots and foreshadowed important twists in the story, then I take all those sticky notes off and create a bullet-point list of the individual scenes that I can take with me anywhere to write at anytime. (It’s a lot easier to fold some paper in half and stick it in your purse than to haul around a huge poster board that’s flaking off sticky notes.)

What are your favorite TV shows?


I don’t’ watch much TV, but I’ve got several that I like to follow when I can: Supernatural (total Dean girl), The Vampire Diaries (Damon, thank you very much), Once Upon a Time and Grimm.


What group did you hang out with in high school?


I hung out with everyone. Literally. My husband was the same way (he’s my high school sweetheart and first PROM date). We both called ourselves floaters because we could float between all the other clicks at the school and we had friends in every group. It didn’t matter if it was the stoner table, the jocks and cheerleaders, the smart kids or the band kids, we had people happy to let us hang out.

Is there a writer you idolize? If so who?


There’s two: James Rollins and J.K. Rowling (now that I think of it those seem remarkable similar in names don’t they?) I admire James Rollins because he does a masterful job of blending science and history into his fiction. He always produces a fast-paced, gripping read. I just adore his work. I idolize J.K. Rowling because first of all she managed not just to write a book series but to change popular culture. I’d love for my writing to be able to have that kind of influence some day—make that kind of a difference in the world.

Do you have any special routines or rituals?


I often use scented candles when I’m writing. I pick a scent for the book and then I only burn it while I’m working on that book. Scent is a powerful memory trigger and it helps me get into the story faster.


Entice us, what future projects are you considering?


Right now I’m working on several new things including some straight contemporary romances coming out from Entangled Publishing this summer, The Baby Mistake, You & Me…Again, Crossing the Line, and The Geek Billionaire Makeover. I’m also working on my sexy dark alpha fae stories for my Shadow Sisters series on the book Shadow Hunter, and might be starting a new superhero series for Kensington.


Have any of your characters been modeled after yourself?


Oh hell no. LOL. I’m not that interesting nor do I have their cool powers or weapons! My characters are their own people. I just get to follow them around and detail out their conversations and arguments they are having in my head at random times, like the middle of a parent-teacher conference.


Do you have a favorite quote, quip, or saying? What is it?


It’s actually off of a fortune cookie paper that I have taped to my computer monitor: You are never given a dream without also being given the power to make it true.


Do you have a Website or Blog?

Sure, my website is and you can catch me hanging out on Twitter @Theresa_Meyers or on Facebook at TheresaMeyersAuthor.

The Chosen
The Legend Chronicles series, book three
Theresa Meyers
Genre: Paranormal Romance / Steampunk
Publisher: Kensington, Zebra
Date of Publication:  March 4, 2013
ISBN-10: 142012126X
ISBN-13: 978-1420121261
ASIN: B009L93H2E
Number of pages: 352 pages (also includes the ebook about Marley, The Inventor, for the first time in print in the back of this book) 

 Book Description:

The Chosen: a prophecy older than dirt and more dangerous than death. Even as they perfected steam-powered gadgetry and rounded up varmints from Hell, the Jackson brothers didn't believe in it. But when the chips are down, three brothers named for weapons aren't going out without a fight...


A Walk On The Wild Side


Attorney by day, demon-hunter by night, Remington Jackson is used to being on the sunny side of the law, even in the Wild West. But it's showdown time, and Remy and his brothers are getting desperate. They don't have the relic they need to slam the door shut on evil—so Remy is going to have to find and steal part of it.


Enter China McGee, shapeshifter, thief, beauty, and current prisoner. When Remy offers her freedom in exchange for a little light-fingered help, she's pretty sure she's going to end the association with a good old-fashioned seductive double cross. But there's something about fighting through a jungle full of Mayan ruins
that makes you want to settle down together. China could change. Remy might be special. But none of that matters if the devil takes them all...

Book Two of the Legend Chronicles
By Theresa Meyers
Zebra - Steampunk Romance
April 3, 2012
ISBN-10: 1420121251
ISBN-13: 978-1420121254 
Brothers Winchester, Remington and Colt know the legends—they were trained from childhood to destroy demon predators, wielding the latest steam-powered gadgetry. It’s a devil of a job. But sometimes your fate chooses you...
Winn Jackson isn’t interested in hunting nightmares across the Wild West—even if it’s the family business. Unlike his rakehell brothers, Winn believes in rules. As sheriff of Bodie, California, he only shoots actual law breakers. That’s what he’s doing when he rescues the Contessa Drossenburg, Alexandra Porter, a lady with all the elegance of the Old World—grace, beauty and class. And then he sees her fangs.
Alexandra isn’t just some bloodsucking damsel in distress, though. She’s on a mission to save her people—and she’s dead certain that Winn’s family legacy is the only way. Luckily, aside from grace and class, she also has a stubborn streak a mile wide. So like it or not, Winn is going to come back with her to the mountains of Transylvania, and while he’s at it, change his opinions about vampires, demon-hunting, and who exactly deserves shooting. And if she has her way, he’s going to do his darnedest to save the world 

Book One of the Legend Chronicles
by Theresa Meyers
They’re the Chosen—Winchester, Remington and Colt—brothers trained to hunt down supernatural beings using the latest steam-powered gadgetry. It’s a hard legacy to shoulder, and it’s about to get a lot more dangerous…
Colt Jackson has gotten his name on many a wanted poster with success in the family business: hunting supernaturals across the frontier.
Lately, though, there’s a sulfur stink in the wind and the Darkin population is exploding. A rift in the worlds is appearing. To close it, Colt will have to do the unthinkable and work with a demon to pass arcane boundaries no human alone can cross.
Except when he summons his demon, he doesn’t get some horned monstrosity: he gets a curvy redheaded succubus named Lilly, who’s willing to make a bargain to become human again. He also gets Lilly’s secret expertise on the machinations on the dark side of the rift. And her charm and cleverness help to get them out of what his silver-loaded pistol and mechanical horse can’t. Of course, when all hell breaks loose, he might have to sacrifice his soul. But what’s adventure without a little risk?


The progeny of a slightly mad (NASA) scientist and a tea-drinking bibliophile who turned the family dining room into a library, Theresa Meyers learned early the value of a questioning mind, books and a good china teapot. 
A former journalist and public relations officer, she found far more enjoyment using her writing skills to pen paranormal novels in the turret office of her Victorian home. 
She’s spent nearly a quarter of a century with the boy who took her to the Prom, drinks tea with milk and sugar, is an adamant fan of the television show Supernatural, and has an indecent love of hats.  

You can find her dabbling online on twitter at or at 

Next Stops

February 28 interview + review
Reading Reality

March 1 Guest blog
Ramblings From This Chick

March 2 Interview
Vivi Dumas

March 2 Promo and review
Readaholic's Reviews

March 3 Review
Books, Books, and More Books

March 4 Promo
Lissette E. Manning

March 5 Guest blog and review
Delighted Reader



$50 Amazon Gift Card 

2 signed sets of The Legend Chronicles (3 books each to 2 winners) US Shipping 

10 Signed copies of The Chosen (US Shipping) 

a Rafflecopter giveaway


scott wilcox said...

I <3 the interview! It is so neat you started writing at such a young age and also met your husband in high school. I am also a huge Damon lover so I feel you there. The boyfriend just started watching Supernatural and I just cannot get in to it for some reason.

Thanks for sharing,

Amanda Ray said...

Sounds great! Looking forward to reading more

Carrie Fort said...

This book looks great! I love the cover!

Jennifer Haile said...

I love Steampunk and this sounds really good!

-Jen Haile

Danica Winters said...

Ah, what a cute meet with your hubby :) Loved your interview. Best of luck with your books!