Tuesday, January 22, 2013

The Book of Paul by Richard Long: Interview: Orangeberry Tour Stop



Welcome! Thanks so much for stopping by and agreeing to answer a few questions for us.  J  What made you want to be a writer? I write stories that I want to read – more than once. I write to entertain myself, first and foremost, but I want to entertain other people too. If I ever start wanting to entertain other people more than myself, I better straighten that out quickly, otherwise I might end up back in advertising, whoring myself out that way.

What do you consider the most challenging about writing a novel, or about writing in general? I love to write. If I could be left alone all day long to write or do my research, I’d be the happiest man on the planet. But I have a wife and children and friends and family, so I need to balance my time with the people that matter me to me even more than the work. The hardest thing about writing is not doing it, particularly when all the marketing work that constantly demands attention has to come before the writing itself. If I don’t sell books, there’s no writing career – and no more Happy Richard.

Did writing this book teach you anything and what was it? The Book of Paul is my first novel, so it taught me a zillion lessons. The most important takeaway was finishing what I started. Even though there are six more volumes in the series!

How did you come up with the title? I’ve often had dreams of a place I keep coming back to – a gigantic palace where I know my way around, even though I know I’ve never been there in the real world. So the basic premise is that maybe there are places in the dream world that are “real” in the sense that they can be visited over and that the experience can be shared by more than one person.  When I began having lucid dreams, which really challenged my whole idea of what “reality” might be in the dream world and also in our so-called physical world that we think of as so defined and predictable.

How much of that book is realistic? I lived in New York in the East Village and Alphabet City where the story is set when it was still very rough. Lots of scary abandoned buildings occupied by squatters. It was like the Wild West. You really had to watch your step. I was also into the occult during that period of my life, and the narrator’s experiences as a tarot reader mirrored my own. Everything else is completely fictitious, though well-grounded in extensive research, which hopefully makes it seem very realistic – and frightening.

Do you have any advice for writers? Write only what you want to write – exactly the way you want to write it. If you can’t get an agent, or your agent can’t sell it, go Indie – though be prepared – being a publisher is almost a full time job in itself.

Do you have any specific last thoughts that you want to say to your readers? I want to thank all the amazing book bloggers out there who have almost single-handedly transformed the culture of reading, especially with young people. All the naysayers, including a lot of big brand authors, have been whining for years about how reading is dead and books can’t compete with the internet and video games and blah blah blah. They are all being proved 180º wrong. I think book bloggers deserve the lion’s share of credit for this revolution – and resurrection. Hats off!

What dreams have been realized as a result of your writing? I have this amazing group of fans who totally get what I’m doing and are so supportive and enthusiastic. What more could a writer want? Oh, yeah, lots and lots of $.

If you could leave your readers with one bit of wisdom, what would you want it to be? Be nice. Find something positive to say about an author’s work. If you can’t, don’t say anything. There is no bigger jerk on the planet than someone who anonymously one-stars a book on Amazon and they haven’t even read the whole thing. Find a book you like and review that instead. You have to be honest about your feelings. If you hate something and you have an obligation to review it, so be it. But at least read the whole book, before you drop the guillotine. Writers have a hard enough time finding an audience and making any money doing what they love without critics stink-bombing them with one or two star reviews of unread books that drag down their rating average like a ten ton anchor. Just sayin.
When you wish to end your career, stop writing, and look back on your life, what thoughts would you like to have? End my career? Not going to happen. Have you read about the Singularity? We’ll all be aging in reverse soon. Ben Button here I come. But if I miss the immortality boat, I can tell you one thing: when I’m on my deathbed, I won’t be thinking about success or awards or reviews. I’ll be holding hands with the people I love most in this world. Because in the final analysis, the only thing that really matters about a person’s life is how well they have loved.


"Everything you've ever believed about yourself...about the description of reality you've clung to so stubbornly all your life...all of it...every bit of it...is an illusion." 

 In the rubble-strewn wasteland of Alphabet City, a squalid tenement conceals a treasure "beyond all imagining"-- an immaculately preserved, fifth century codex. The sole repository of ancient Hermetic lore, it contains the alchemical rituals for transforming thought into substance, transmuting matter at will...and attaining eternal life.

When Rose, a sex and pain addicted East Village tattoo artist has a torrid encounter with Martin, a battle-hardened loner, they discover they are unwitting pawns on opposing sides of a battle that has shaped the course of human history. At the center of the conflict is Paul, the villainous overlord of an underground feudal society, who guards the book's occult secrets in preparation for the fulfillment of an apocalyptic prophecy.

 The action is relentless as Rose and Martin fight to escape Paul's clutches and Martin's destiny as the chosen recipient of Paul's sinister legacy.  Science and magic, mythology and technology converge in a monumental battle where the stakes couldn't be higher: control of the ultimate power in the universe--the Maelstrom.

The Book of Paul is the first of seven volumes in a sweeping mythological narrative tracing the mystical connections between Hermes Trismegistus in ancient Egypt, Sophia, the female counterpart of Christ, and the Celtic druids of Clan Kelly.

Buy now @ Amazon
Genre – Paranormal Thriller / Dark Fantasy 
Rating – R
Get the print copy at Create Space:
Create Space

Limited Edition Autographed Hard Copy:

Interview with the author that
"discusses the inspiration for the supernatural, occult thriller 
and the love story that propels the plot."

Connect with Richard Long on Facebook & Twitter
Richard Long writes to exorcize the demons of his past and manifest the dreams of his future. His debut novel, The Book of Paul, is a dark, thrilling, and psychologically rich supernatural horror/thriller that blends mythology, science and mystery into a page-turning addiction. Richard is also writing a YA novel, The Dream Palace, primarily so that his children can read his books. He lives in Manhattan with his wife, two amazing children and their wicked black cat, Merlin.
22nd January – Author Interview at Laurie’s Paranormal Thoughts
22nd January – Book Review at Author’s Friend
23rd January - Twitter View with OB Book Tours
23rd January – Author Interview and Book Feature at Moonlight Gleam
24th January - Twitter Blast with OB Book Tours
24th January – Book Review at Aspiring Books
25th January –  Book Feature at Live to Read

No comments: