Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Echopharte by Anthony Stevens : Interview: Sizzling PR Tour Stop



 




 Welcome Anthony!  Thanks so much for stopping by today. I've got a few pesky questions for you. :) 
 
How did you start your writing career?

Many years ago, I was in bed, reading some trashy paperback when I got so frustrated, I threw it against the wall and muttered, in disgust, “Damn! I can write better than that.”

My wife looked at me and said, “So? What's stopping you?”

Tell us about a favorite character from a book.

Gulliver Foyle from the classic science fiction novel, “The Stars My Destination” by Alfred Bester. Gully's character has stuck in my head for many years. I find myself re-reading this book every five years or so and each time, I get a slightly different feel for him.

 Where do you dream of traveling to and why?

There are many places both in the United States and around the world, that I'd love to see. Some of the ghost towns in Colorado, the karst topography of southern China, Machu Pichu in Peru, and the Burrens in Wales are just a few.

  Does travel play in the writing of your books?

Oh my, yes! Almost all of my books have something from my travels. Sometimes it is just a scene that evokes some powerful memories and other times, it is entire locations.

As an example, Red Rose Publishing has the Common Ground series of adult urban fantasy tales I wrote a few years ago. They are Guardian Dawn, Guardian Noon, and Guardian Knight. All of the locations in each of those novels are familiar stomping grounds. I even have tons of photographs that I've taken of places like Three Rivers Estates in northern Florida, among other spots.

 Has someone been instrumental in inspiring you as a writer?

I will have to give credit to two women who have repeatedly given me kicks in the butt to get started when I've been stalled. I've already mentioned my wife, Brenda. The other one is the accomplished and prolific author, Stephanie “Flash” Burke. Thank you, ladies!

Where do you research for your books?

There are a series of blogs and news sites that I try to follow each day for historical research and current events. Here is a brief list with descriptions:

 

Explorator - David Meadows is a historian with a Yahoo mailing list. He generates only one email a week, usually on the weekend. Each email contains a list of Internet news articles dealing with an archaeological or historical topic. This is wonderful research material as well as fodder for alt-history writers.


 

Slashdot - This is a geek news site. If you are at all interested in technology and its effect on our society, then I highly recommend you make this a daily read.


 

SFSignal - This is one of the best of the science fiction and fantasy news blogs that are out there. It has won numerous awards and I find something worthwhile on it at every reading.


 

Chaos Manor - The science fiction author and technology columnist Dr. Jerry Pournelle has written dozens of novels. He's also been writing articles dealing with space travel and bleeding-edge technology for more than forty years. Although he dislikes the term 'blog' and prefers to call it a 'daybook', Chaos Manor is believed that he have been the first one on the net. Prior to the advent of the World Wide Web, Chaos Manor was a monthly feature in Byte Magazine. Love him or hate him, he does have a plethora of information on his site. This is another one I follow.


 

GizMag - Gizmag deals with new and emerging technologies. There is a lot of future shock fodder here. Once again, well worth a visit.


 

No matter your working genre, all of those have something surprising to to offer each week. Ideas are easy to come by in this way.



Echopharte

Anthony Stevens




 
 

The ancients revered them. The colonists feared them. Today, no one believes in them. Shifters have lived and worked among humans since before recorded history.
Echopharte tells of the first community and how both good and evil have continuously shaped our society, from ancient times up to the present day.

 


January

14 – Spotlight @ New Age Mama

15 – Interview @  You Gotta Read

16 – Interview @ Laurie’s Thoughts and Reviews

17 – Spotlight @ From the Bootheel Cotton Patch


 
 
Anthony Stevens is the pen name of a gentleman who has written and published alternate history, urban fantasy and paranormal romances stores.  He considers himself a bit of a bard and can usually be talked into sharing a tale or two at any gathering.
He often refers to himself as a tecknogeek olde pharte with a wide variety of life experiences.  Although currently employed as an electronic security analyst, he’s worked in a variety of industries including stints teaching computer history at the Florida Institute of Technology, teaching English in a business college in Mexico City and as a technical writer and graphic designer for several high-technology firms.
Besides writing, his interests include photography, space explorations, model railroads, steam engines of all types, history and computer graphics.  He’s been reading one or two novels a week since elementary school.
Anthony is also a huge fan of Free and Open Source Software since he hates the idea of putting any more money into the pockets of either Bill Gates or Steven Jobs.

 
Anthony Stevens has written and published more than a dozen urban fantasy books. His Shifter Series from Red Rose Publishing starts with “Shifter Born” and has been very well received.




Website


No comments: