Friday, January 4, 2013

Disciple, Pt 1 by L Blankenship: Guest Post, Character Interview: Featured Author








Meeting my own characters

I enjoy chatting with my characters -- it's a great way to meet them. When I was publishing Disciple, Part I, I also commissioned portraits of the three main characters and it was exciting to "meet" them that way, too. During my blog tour to promote the Kickstarter campaign for Disciple, Part II, I will be interviewing each of them and posting their portraits as postcards.



I heard about character cards in romance writing circles -- they're like baseball cards, but for story characters. Printed cards are kinda small and limited, but these electronic ones are much more flexible, I think. Click on the thumbnail to see the fine print. If you have trouble, these will also be available at my website.



On to the interview: first up, Sir Anders Bockmann. My side of the conversation is in italics.






So Disciple has Kate, our heroine, and Kiefan the prince, and then there's… you. 



As it's ever been, with me.



The bad boy. 



They've gone to such lengths to brand me, shouldn't I oblige them? Truly, it's the simplest thing in the world to flirt with a girl if she knows her friends would die to hear every word of it. And whether she escaped with a kiss -- or more.



It seems that the saints didn't take that into account when they assigned you to this dangerous mission. Why send a "bad boy" knight into the mountains with the prince and the healer's apprentice? 



(he shrugs) Perhaps because I did defeat all comers at the King's Joust -- twice. It earned me my place on the Prince's Guard despite the slander. There's monsters in these mountains, and likely dangers in this kingdom we seek.



So aside from the flirting and the parties, you do take some things seriously.



And always have. The sword's no simple thing to learn.



And you have a way with horses. 



I've been told. I'm not such a fool as to put all my trust in the sword for my support. All knights answer to Saint Woden, and the king before him -- and the king won't so much as look me in the eye.



Because of who you are.



His doing. Inflicted upon my mother.



Not inflicted -- she loves you.



My mother deserves far better than she's gotten from men.



But to get back to horses, and your bad-boy reputation…



(he chuckles) The horses do help. Ladies like a knight on a fine horse.



It's like shooting ducks in a barrel for you, isn't it. Except for Kate.



(his smile fades down to a wry twist) It would seem I've no charms, so far as Kate's concerned.



Peasant girls don't have much time for romantic foolishness.



Is that why? Cold shoulders, I've gotten before -- Kate hasn't been such. Un-charmed, but she doesn't disdain me. (he thinks for a moment, then shrugs) An odd thing, that.


 
I think it's called 'friendship' but i could be wrong.



(he smiles again) Might be. Or, perhaps, a different sort of challenge.





Disciple, Part I is available at all major online retailers  

 


Disciple Part II will be on sale April 1. See the cover and blurb or see the book trailer at Kickstarter, where right now you can pre-order Part II (and pick up a copy of Part I).

Stay tuned to my blog tour for more character interviews, portraits, chatting about theme songs and soundtracks... it will all be over at my book blog, Disciple of the Fount.




Summary:


The saints favor her, else-wise a peasant girl like Kate Carpenter would never be apprenticed to the kingdom’s master healer. But her patron saint also marks her ready for the duty of tending to a mission that must cross the ice-bound mountains. Their little kingdom faces invasion by a vast empire and desperately needs allies; across the snow-filled pass, through the deathly thin air, is a country that’s held off the empire and may be willing to lend an army.
 
Kate knows about frostbite and the everyday injuries of wilderness travel. She can heal those.
 
She’s not ready for the attentions of a ne’er-do-well knight and the kingdom’s only prince, though.
 
And she isn’t ready for the monsters that harry them night and day, picking off their archers first, wearing the party to exhaustion, pushing Kate beyond the limits her healing abilities.
 
She must keep them alive, or her blood will be on the snow too.
 
 
Reviews by Goodreads readers:
"This isn’t the land of unicorns and fairy castles – characters die, nations war and betray, and everything has a price to be paid. More than that, it’s thoughtful, a fantasy that gets down to the nitty-gritty of figuring out the if/then that the premise implies, making for crunchy, satisfying fantasy fare."
(link)
 
"It is rare day when I experience a full gamut of emotions after reading a tome, but this one has it all; mourning a character’s demise, anger at another’s attitude, worry when I realize no one is safe. This is the book that you can’t put down. This is the book that makes you blurry-eyed the next day at work from reading until 2 am."
(link)
 
 





L. Blankenship started writing animal stories as a kid and it's just gotten completely out of hand since then. Now she's out publishing her gritty fantasy and hard science fiction adventures. L grew up in New Hampshire but currently lives near Washington, DC.

     
    Blog  |  Goodreads  |  Twitter
 
 
 

No comments: