Monday, December 10, 2012

The Shattered Door by Lisa Bouchard: Interview

 



 
Welcome Lisa! Thanks for stopping in and giving us this chance to learn a little about you.  Do you have critique partners or beta readers?
 

I have beta readers that I absolutely rely on to tell me where I’ve gone wrong. Beta readers, for me, are like medicine or exercise. You don’t want to do it, but you feel so much better after you’re done.
 

How do you describe your writing style? 

I am keeping the Morrison Investigations series light and fast. I think of them as the desert of reading – you may not come away with any deep insights into the human condition, but you’re going to have fun while reading.
 

Plotter or Pantser? Why?


I start off as a plotter. I love the 7 point plotting system that Dan Wells talks about on youtube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KcmiqQ9NpPE) and I always start there.


No plan survives engagement with the enemy, however, and the further I get into the novel, the farther I stray from the outline. I think it’s all fine, as long as I get to the end and it all wraps up well.
 

As a child, what did you want to be when you grew up? 
 

I wanted to be an astronaut. Deep down inside, I still want to be an astronaut. If the International Space Station is looking for a writer in residence, I’m your woman!
 

What do you do to unwind and relax?
 

You know, there are many days that I finish working and think I should have a glass of wine and relax on the couch with my husband. It sounds like a great plan, but then I think of just one more thing I should finish up and suddenly it’s bedtime (or often way past bedtime) and I just fall into bed.



Do you have any suggestions for beginning writers?

 
I get asked this question a lot and I’m glad because this is what I did to advance my career:

Take yourself seriously. Put time and effort and money into your career.  

Learn as much as you can. Not everything about writing can be taught but you can learn it all on your own.  

Act like a professional, and if you’re not sure how to do that, emulate one of your heroes until you come into your own style.  

Remember that nothing ever goes away on the internet, so don’t be petty.

Don’t worry if your writing is terrible at first – everyone’s is. Keep writing and you’ll improve.

Never apologize for being a beginner.
 

Have you attended a high school reunion? What did you learn?
 

I attended my 20th reunion and I learned a couple of things. First, I learned that my class isn’t big on procreation. I won the award for having the most children. I’ve only got four, and I didn’t even tie with anyone! The more important thing I learned is that after 20 years, no one cares who you were friends with back in the day. People want to learn who you are now and be friends with that person instead. So go, you’ll have fun!



What would we find under your bed?

 

On my side of the bed, I have two under-the-bed boxes filled with out of season clothing. My husband’s side of the bed has his shoes and some weights. There’s definitely a warren of dust bunnies under there as well.
 

Describe what it’s like to be an author in three words.

 
Work in pajamas.

 
You just won a huge lottery what is the first thing you'll buy?
 

I’m a practical person, so the first thing I’d do is pay off my mortgage and buy a more reliable car. Once the important things are taken care of and money is invested, then we go on a month-long vacation to a tropical island, where we hire a cook and a maid. 

Does anyone know what the powerball is this week?





It all started when she learned to read at five. One of her first and favorite memories is of words taped to all the objects in the house. Not long after that, books became the best thing ever and there was no turning back.

She suffered a crisis of confidence in High School and College and decided writing was too difficult, so she earned a degree in Chemistry instead. Three career changes and four children later, she’s back to writing and much happier for it.

Now she works from her home office in New Hampshire amid the books, kids, and occasional pets. Visit her at http://LisaBouchard.com.
 
Contact Links:

Twitter: @Lisa_Bouchard
 


 
 
When publicist Kathleen Harrison is executed in her suburban home, the obvious suspect is her client and lover George Wynton, a known telepath. Boston attorney Dan Stevens is hired to defend George, but he has no use for telepaths, and so hands the investigative reins to Morrison Investigations.


Novice private investigators Darcy and Olivia Morrison reluctantly agree to help Dan with the case. They recognize how invaluable the experience of working the high-profile case will be, but know it increases the risk of their secret being revealed. Once they accept the challenge, there will be no turning back, no matter how great the stakes.

From Commonwealth Avenue to the Back Bay, The Shattered Door sweeps readers down into an underworld born from fear and bigotry, and up into the lives of Boston's elite class where the real darkness lies.


The Shattered Door is the first case in the Morrison Investigations series.

BUY LINKS:










 
Enter for a chance to win a Print or digital copy of The Shattered Door.
Print option is open for shipping to US/CANADA. Digital format is open Internationally.
Comment on this post for a bonus entry.
Follow the author on Twitter for another bonus entry. 
 
 
 
 

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

You're so right, I would love to work in my pajamas! Sounds like a fun read, please count me in, Liene @ LLucane at yahoo dot com

Anonymous said...

Interesting reading.

joye said...

Your book sounds really good and I have added it to my TBR list. I am always looking for new authors to read.
JWIsley(at)aol(dot)com

Beth said...

Thanks for the introduction to this author and series!

Marjorie/cenya2 said...

The storyline has caught my attention, would love to win and read this book.

cenya2 at hotmail dot com

bbn100 said...

That's good advice.