Monday, December 17, 2012

Tapped by Lynn Cantwell: Interview: Orangeberry Tour Stop

 


 

If you could have any superpower what would you choose?

Ace Deadline’s superpower would have to be the ability to whip out deathless prose in the blink of an eye – and get paid well for it!

 

If you could meet one person who has died who would you choose?

Louisa May Alcott. I would enjoy comparing notes with her about making a living as a writer, then and now.

 

What is one book everyone should read?

I don’t know that I can recommend a single book. I’ve been known to recommend Stephen R. Donaldson’s Lord Foul’s Bane, but a lot of people can’t get past the rape that occurs within the first few chapters. They refuse to try to understand why it’s necessary to the plot. So I’ve kind of given up on book recommendations.

Please tell us in one sentence only, why we should read your book.

Even though Tapped is the third book in the Pipe Woman Chronicles, I think it can be enjoyed on its own, as much for the interaction between the characters as anything else (but I wouldn’t object if you read the first two books, too!).

Any other books in the works? Goals for future projects?

I’m planning two more Pipe Woman Chronicles books. The fourth book, Gravid, was my NaNoWriMo project last month; I’m hoping to have that published in early spring.

What inspired you to want to become a writer?

I’m not sure “inspired” is the best word. I wrote my first book in the second grade, sort of on a dare, and just kept going. It just feels like the thing I’m supposed to be doing with my life.

Tell us your most rewarding experience since being published.

In a review of “SwanSong,” one reader said the moral of the book was that gratitude is the best revenge. I hadn’t really thought of it that way when I wrote it, but it works!

If you could jump in to a book, and live in that world.. which would it be?

Stephen R. Donaldson’s Land from his “Chronicles of Thomas Covenant the Unbeliever.” I want to spend some serious time hiking in the Andelainian hills.

What is your dream cast for your book?

I don’t really think in those terms when I’m writing. Although my daughter Kat would kill me if I didn’t try to get Tom Hiddleston to play Loki in the Pipe Woman Chronicles books.

 

What’s the best advice anyone has ever given you?
 
 
Someone once told me that if a person purporting to be a literary agent wanted me to give them money, I should run in the opposite direction as fast as I could. I consider that to be excellent advice.

 

 
Buy Now @ Amazon
Genre – Urban Fantasy
Rating – P13G
More details about the author & the book
 
 
Ah, winter in South Dakota… Naomi’s caught some kind of bug, and she hasn’t seen Joseph in weeks. But she lets Shannon drag her on vacation: a road trip to the Pine Ridge Indian Reservation to find Naomi’s father. There, they find more than they bargained for: a dream wolf, a mysterious walled compound that might or might not belong to Loki, and a lot of snow. Shannon certainly knows how to show a friend a good time…
 
 

 
Lynne Cantwell has been writing fiction since the second grade, when the kid who sat in front of her showed her a book he had written, and she thought, "I could do that." The result was "Susie and the Talking Doll," a picture book illustrated by the author about a girl who owned a doll that not only could talk, but could carry on conversations. The book had dialogue but no paragraph breaks.
Today, after a twenty-year career in broadcast journalism and a master's degree in fiction writing from Johns Hopkins University (or perhaps despite the master's degree), Lynne is still writing fantasy.
 
 
Connect with Lynne Cantwell on Facebook & Twitter
 
 
 
 
Next Few Stops
 
18th December – Author Interview at Vanna Smythe’s blog
19th December – Guest Post & Book Feature at Books Are Magic
20th December – Twitter View with OB Book Tours
21st December – Twitter Blast with OB Book Tours
 
 
 

 

1 comment:

Lynne Cantwell said...

Hi Laurie! Thanks for hosting me today. I love the banner with all three book covers. :)