Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Realm of the Lost by Emma Eden Ramos: Character Interview, Review








Realm of the Lost by Emma Eden Ramos (Novella)

What happens when you die before your time?

Thirteen-year-old Kathleen "Kat" Gallagher has had it with her family. The eldest of three children, Kat feels trapped ever since her parents’ separated and she has had to take on more responsibility than she feels prepared for. Everything changes on a frigid morning in mid-December when an accident propels Kat into unfamiliar territory.

Stuck in the place where people go when they have died before their time, Kat must face obstacles she could never have imagined.

With the help of other young inhabitants of the Realm of the Lost, Kat learns the true meaning of friendship and family.


Purchase




Praise for The Realm of the Lost

"Who would have thought that in that few pages one can make a magical, wonderful and well-written story?... I recommend this book. Most especially to children out there!"

-Samaine from Bookworms Avenue


"What a truly magnificent and unique plot and concept! Where do you go when you pass away too young? Emma Ramos has created a truly facinating and absorbing novella that leaves the reader pondering this question- characters and plot devices are spot on- fast moving and deeply moving, THE REALM OF THE LOST comes very highly recommended!"
-Rick Friedman from The James Mason Community Book Club


"...Ramos offers the right balance of plot and description...allowing the suspense and tension to build to the twist." 
-Serena Agusto-Cox from Savvy Verse and Wit



This short piece is packed with emotion and wonder.  When 13-year-old Kat dies unexpectedly she awakens in a strange place and must quickly learn how to get along with the others already there.  The prose flows robustly at a good clip, and I was constantly surprised and often intrigued by the unfolding of the events in this story.  Kat seems always to be at odds with both the system and the others in the realm which leads to a few nail-biting encounters.  I enjoyed this odd little tale and thought the author did a particularly fine job giving Kat a voice. I also am the oldest of my siblings, and could easily relate to many of Kat’s complaints and concerns.  I am thankful to have been reminded in such an entertaining manner of the special bonds shared with those whom we love, yet may often take for granted. I would love to read more adventures from the Land of the Lost.  There are other characters there that need their stories told, as well.
 
This book was given to me in exchange for my honest review.  I received no other compensation. 
 

Reviewed by Laurie-J





Character interview with sixteen-year-old Rosario Ortega
from The Realm of the Lost

 

Where do you dream of traveling to and why?

I was born in Juárez, Mexico. My parents moved my brother and me to El Paso, Texas when I was five. I dream of going back to Mexico, though I know it will never happen.

Who is your favorite author?

My favorite author? I don't know. I guess I like that guy who wrote The Call of the Wild. I read that the year before I came to The Realm of the Lost.

What do you think makes a good story?

Well, I like a lot of action. I'm not too crazy about those stories that go on and on about what color the character's dress is. Come on! I want to get to the action.

Tell us about your family.

Like I said before, we're from Mexico. I don't really like talking about my family, though. Sorry.

What book are you reading now?

I got a copy of The Realm of the Lost from The Tallyman. It did help get Miss A exiled. I guess I liked it for that. I'm not so happy that Kat wrote about how I died. That made me a bit mad.

As a child, what did you want to be when you grew up?

I wanted to be the next Selena! You know, Selena Peréz, the singer. I used to practice singing "Como La Flor" in my bedroom.

What are your favorite TV shows?

Saved by the Bell! A.C. Slater was very cute. I think Lisa was my favorite character. She was very tough.

What is your favorite meal?

My mama's carnitas. They were wonderful.

Do you have a favorite quote, quip, or saying? What is it?

"Nunca es tarde cuando la dicha es buena." It is never too late for joy.







Author Emma Eden Ramos



Emma Eden Ramos is a writer and student from New York City. Her short stories have appeared in Stories for Children Magazine, The Storyteller Tymes, BlazeVOX Journal, and others. Emma's novelette, Where the Children Play, is included in Resilience: Stories, Poems, Essays, Words for LGBT Teens, edited by Eric Nguyen. Three Women: A Poetic Triptych and Selected Poems (Heavy Hands Ink, 2011), Ramos’ first poetry chapbook, was shortlisted for the 2011 Independent Literary Award in Poetry. Emma studies psychology at Marymount Manhattan College.






Tour Giveaway

2 Ebooks of Realm of the Lost

Open Internationally

Ends 12/12/12

 




Tour Schedule


December 3rd

I Am A Reader, Not A Writer - Tour Kick Off

Cuzinlogic - Author Interview

Paranormal Urban Fantasy Reviews - Review

Fictitious Musings - Review & Interview



December 4th

Brooke Blogs - Review & Interview

Bookhounds - Interview

Up in the Bibliosphere - Review & Interview

Lovely Reads - Review



December 5th

Publishing the Parnomal - Review & Interview

Books for Kids - Review

Laurie's Thoughts and Reviews - Review & Character Interview

Books in the Hall - Review



December 6th

Storeybook Reviews - Review

Bittersweet Enchantment - Review

Blkosiner's Book Blog - Interview

Christy's Cozy Corner - Review



December 7th

Reader Girls - Review

Cindy C Bennett - Interview

Rachel Rooney - Review

Peace from Pieces - Interview




I Am A Reader, Not A Writer




 
 

*Disclosure of Material Connection: I am a member of I Am A Reader, Not A Writer Blog Tours and a copy of this book was provided to me by the author. Although payment may have been received by I Am A Reader, Not A Writer Blog Tours , no payment was received by me in exchange for this review. There was no obligation to write a positive review. All opinions expressed are entirely my own and may not necessarily agree with those of the author, publisher, publicist, or readers of this review. This disclosure is in accordance with the Federal Trade Commision’s 16 CFR, Part 255, Guides Concerning Use of Endorcements and Testimonials in Advertising*

No comments: