Sunday, December 2, 2012

Hidden (Marchwood Vampire Series #1) by Shalini Boland: Character Interview & Excerpt

 



HIDDEN is a paranormal adventure that spans the centuries from modern London to 19th century Paris and ancient Cappadocia.

Sixteen-year-old Madison Greene is in foster care until one day she inherits a fortune, she inherits a house, she inherits a cellar full of danger.

Eighteen-year-old Alexandre lives in 19th century Paris. On an archaeological expedition he discovers a lost underground city where his life changes forever.

For each of them, life is finally starting. Little do they know it is closer to ending. Something lies buried which should have been forgotten. A Pandora's Box that was meant to stay shut. But Madison and Alexandre have never been any good at following the rules. They are about to find everything they've ever desired and everything that could destroy them.

Falling in love has never been so dangerous.
 
Nook  |  Amazon US  |  Amazon UK  |  itunes



Only Isobel and her mother had managed to escape from the room and now they stumbled down the narrow corridor in fear for their lives.
‘Maman!’ Isobel gasped. ‘What are we to do? The others are not following! They will die!’
‘Hush child,’ her mother shivered. ‘Isik and Alexandre will save them. But right now, we have to get out of these caves.’
‘Is Papa really …’
‘Do not talk of it. It is a bad dream and soon we shall awake and laugh and joke ...’ She stopped and her voice broke into sobs. ‘My Didier! My husband. It is monstrous. I do not believe what my own eyes have seen.’
‘Maman, we must continue upwards.’
Marie-Louise choked back her sobs. ‘You are right, Ma Petite. We will escape and send back a search party.’
‘What was that?’ Isobel whispered. She stopped and strained her ears.
‘I heard nothing,’ her mother replied.
‘There! That noise?’ She had heard a faint shout, she was sure of it. She listened again but heard nothing.
‘The others?’ Maman said. ‘It must be the others, they must have escaped.’
‘But it could be those creatures coming after us,’ Isobel whispered. ‘What should we do, Maman?’
‘I do not know, child. Wait, while I think for a moment.’ She looked around. ‘Here, come in here and we shall wait as quiet as mice until we know for sure. Then, when the coast is clear, we shall leave.’
She pulled Isobel into a small empty cell-like room. There was a millstone on the inside and they both pushed and heaved with all the force they had, until it rolled into place.
‘We will wait here. Now, what do we have?’ Her mother’s voice quavered. ‘We have two lanterns, some water, some dates and bread and we each have our pistols.’
Isobel crouched in the sealed cavern with her mother, shivering in its grim safety. The minutes passed.
A familiar voice rang out.
‘Did you hear that?’ her mother exclaimed.
‘It is Harold! We are saved.’
His voice drifted down from somewhere above them. He was calling out his wife and children’s names. Maman shone her lantern up to the ceiling.
‘Here! Look!’ She pointed up to a hole in the ceiling. ‘He must be on the level above us. We must go to him. Quickly, help me.’
They heaved the stone away from the entrance and turned towards the staircase.
‘Harold!’ Isobel shouted. ‘We are down here!’
‘Shhh!’ Marie-Louise put her hand over her daughter’s mouth. ‘We do not wish to alert those things to our whereabouts.’
Isobel’s breath caught in her throat. Behind her mother stood one of the creatures, its expressionless face staring ahead at nothing. Isobel extended a shaking arm and fired her pistol. Even from this point blank range, the shot had no effect. She heard a loud, high-pitched scream that seemed to last forever and realised the sound was coming from her own mouth.
Her mother did not have time to even turn around. The creature grabbed Maman’s arm and there was a hollow pop as it dislocated from its socket. She was dragged back down the corridor, her face twisted in shock. The lantern she carried clattered to the floor, its dim light spluttering in the gloom.
Isobel’s scream petered out and now she called out in terror, ‘God help us! Somebody help us!’ The robed creature appeared to fly back along the corridor. It had Maman in its grip and the last thing Isobel saw was the receding shape of her mother’s mouth, like a deep round cavern as her high-pitched scream disappeared into the darkness.
Isobel stood alone in the doorway, shivering and sobbing. She stumbled forwards in the direction the creature had taken her mother. The pain in her heart was like a sharp white throbbing light that blotted out all other feeling.
‘Maman,’ she cried. ‘MAMAN!’ she screamed. ‘Come back! You have forgotten me! It is me. It is Isobel. Do not leave without me!’
She crumpled onto the dusty stone floor and barely even noticed when one of them lifted her into its deathly embrace and carried her back down the corridor as if she were as light as air. 

 

Today we have a special guest.  Alexandre Chevalier, born August 26th 1862 is a main character in Hidden.  J

 

Where are you from?

I am from Paris, France

 

How old are you?

I am eighteen year of age, but perhaps that it not as true as it used to be.

 

 What are you called?

Alexandre, but I allow certain people to call me Alex.

 

 How would you describe your looks?

Looks? People always told me I was handsome. I’m tall with dark wavy hair and brown eyes. But I do not like the way I look anymore.

 

 In Twitter style use 140 characters or less to sum yourself up.

‘Twitter style’? This is something you wear? I do not know this ‘Twitter style’.

 

Morning Person? Or Night Person? How do you know?
I’m a night person. Definitely a night person. I have no choice in the matter.

 

What kind of childhood did you have?

It was a wonderful childhood, a privileged upbringing full of love and laughter. I did not appreciate it at the time.

 

 How do you deal with conflict and change?

Unfortunately I am an expert in this and I find I always meet it head on. If you cross me you will probably regret it.

 

 Who else is in your life?

I have my wonderful brother Jacques and my ridiculously Parisian sister Isobel. And of course, there is my love…

 

 What are your goals or motivation?

To be happy and to keep my family and friends safe from harm.

 

 Of what are you proudest?

I used to be proud of everything about myself. With a mere smile, I could have anything I wanted. But now things have changed and I am not proud of anything anymore.

 

 What was your first date like?

It was a mistake - one that gave me my heart’s desire, but cost me everything.

 

 How did you meet the person of your dreams?

Ha! She was trying to kill me.

 

Who were your best friends in the past, and why aren't they your best friends today?

I once had many friends and acquaintances, but sadly they are all gone now.

 

What is your best quality? And what is your worst?

I am loyal and true, but I am often lacking in good judgement.

 

What is your biggest secret--the one thing you don't want ANYBODY to know?

If I told you that, you might not live to tell anyone else.

 

What are you most afraid of?

Losing the one I love.

 

What do you want more than anything?

To find and destroy those who cursed my life.

 
 




Books and music are my passion and I’ve always been a writer in some shape or form. Before children, I was signed to Universal Music as a singer/songwriter. I collaborated with some amazing musicians and was lucky enough to sing with Basement Jaxx on their album Rooty and live on stage. But that all seems like several lifetimes ago.

Now I combine motherhood with writing fiction. I write the kinds of books I love to read - gripping adventures with a spattering of supernatural and a sprinkling of romance.



Blog   |   Facebook   |  Twitter   |  Pinterest
 
 
 
Enter for a chance to win a digital copy of Hidden.
Comment on this post for a bonus entry.
Follow the author on Twitter for another bonus entry. 
 


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Another new series! I am so excited. Definitely one to be added to the wish list/TBR pile. Thanks for sharing the excerpt and the chance to win.

Happy Holidays,
Marlena
charmedpoms(at)yahoo(dot)com

Anonymous said...

The word 'Cappadocia' caught my attention since we have been there
and I love to read novels that have
familiar backgrounds. Looking forward to this book.
Bonnie Hilligoss/bonhill@speakeasy.net

Suzy Turner said...

I LOVE this book, I've read it several times. I've also read everything else that Shalini Boland has written. I can't wait for her next book!!