Monday, December 31, 2012

A Witch's Tale by Maralee Lowder: Interview and Excerpt: Bewitching Book Tours


 



 
Welcome Maralee! It's great to have you visit and I'm looking forward to finding out a little about you. Sooooo......How did you start your writing career?
 
I was reading a historical romance one day which I found to be very poorly written.  I’m not a person who throws things, but I threw that book across the room while saying “I can write a better book than that!”
 
Now, I’m a person who hates it when someone says things like that if they haven’t actually tried to do whatever they say they can do better than someone else.  So I figured I had to give it a try.
 
That first book was never published, so I guess it might not have been any better than the book I’d been reading.  However it did start me writing, and even more important, learning how to write.  I’m still learning, by the way!
 
Beatles or Monkees? Why?
 
Beatles, hands down.  Why?  OMG, so many songs – so many reasons!  I can’t think of any song by the Beatles that did not speak to me personally.  Once, many years ago, there was a radio station in the city I was living in at the time that played nothing by Beatles songs.  I thought I’d died and gone to heaven.  I used to tell people that if anyone ever did not believe in God, all they had to do was to look at the Beatles.  I never meant that in a disrespectful way, only that so much talent could not have been given to four guys without help from the man upstairs.  Such talent can only come from a divine source.
 
If I came to visit early in the morning would you impress me as being more like a chirpy bird or a grumpy bear?
 
Chirpy bird, every time.  I’ve been married for many years to a man who gives credence to the term grumpy bear, so I know what I’m talking about.  We learned soon after marrying that it was best if we stayed in separate rooms for the first hour of the day.  He’s so grumpy that his brother (who happens to be even more of a chirpy bird than I) has nicknamed him “His Royal Grumpiness”! Believe me, it’s easier being me.
 
Plotter or Pantser? Why?
 
Both.  When I want to write a book for, say, a particular publisher or holiday, anything like that, I usually do fairly heavy plotting.  I use the good old “W” method for each of my main characters as well as for the genre of the story.  I’ll go further by interviewing my protagonists and my villain. And, of course, I’ll try to research everything I think might come up in the telling of the story. 
 
But when a story simply comes to me, more like a gift than from my own mind, I just start writing and let things come as they may.  What a joy that is!   
 
Where do you research for your books?
 
You bet I do!  It doesn’t matter what you’re writing, I doubt that there are very many authors who know everything about their subject.  I don’t know about other readers, but I really hate it when I’m reading a book then suddenly realize the author didn’t even bother to look at a map when he/she was describing a location.  Who knows everything there is to know about every single career?  Religion?  Culture?  I could go on forever here, but you get the message. 
 
Do I like doing research?  Not a bit, but I do it anyway.  I owe it to my readers and I owe it to my own integrity as a writer. 
 
Does your significant other read your stuff?
 
My husband does not read my stuff-ever.  I think he’s afraid of saying something that would hurt my feelings. However, I do have a daughter who reads everything I write and gives me plenty of honest feedback.  I feel so blessed to have her.  We get on the phone together and toss ideas back and forth, which is lot’s of fun. Sometimes I use her ideas, and sometimes I don’t.  Either way it goes, neither one of us ever gets our feelings hurt.  I also send her copies of my wip and she edits them for me.  Am I ever the luckiest writer ever?   
 
What book are you reading now?

Right now I’m re-reading The Wedding Gift by Kathleen McKenna.  I just purchased the sequel to it, The Comeback, and want to re-acquaint myself with all the characters before starting to read the next book.  I really enjoyed reading The Wedding Gift the first time, but it’s one of those books that you can read over and over again and never tire of it.  Ms. McKenna has a wonderful way of mixing humor with horror that I truly admire.  
 
Do you have any suggestions for beginning writers? If so, what are they?

 
If I have just one thing to say to a beginning writer it’s, learn your craft. 
 
This question reminds me of two very different writers I have known.  Both of them had great ideas, but their writing skills were, well, to be frank, just terrible.  The first one was a member of the same chapter of RWA that I belonged to. When I first read her work I was just sick.  I really and truly liked her and wanted so much to like her work, but it was so poorly written I worried that her heart would be broken if she continued to pursue a writing career.  But that girl was so brave!  She kept writing and eagerly listened to her critiques.  Her writing improved until she finally began wining those contests.  She is now a published writer.
 
The other lady was a friend of mine.  She had a great idea for a book, but was not interested in putting any work in it after she had finished the first draft.  As she told me, rewriting was not her thing.  Unfortunately, her book has never been published. 
 
I’ve been writing for more than twenty years now, and I’m still learning my craft.  I never read a book without learning something.  And, I certainly never write a book without learning even more.  I try to learn from each editing experience and never make the same mistakes again. Writing is an ongoing experience of learning.
 
 
 

 
 
 
 
 
A Witch's Tale

by Maralee Lowder

 

ISBN-13: 978-1481023979

ISBN-10: 1481023977

 

Publisher: Taylor Street Books

 

When hard-bittern reporter Mac McCormick is sent to Port Bellmont to report on the chilling death of the popular Reverend Elkins who has been found ritually sacrificed in a field just outside the town, he encounters an enraged crowd baying for the blood of a coven of witches whom it believes responsible for the crime.

 

However, when Mac subsequently meets the youngest of the witches, the beautiful flame-haired Cassie Adams, he immediately starts to doubt the crowd’s interpretation of events - or has he just fallen under her cunning spell?








Chapter 1 Excerpt - A Witch’s Tale

“Hey! Watch it, you moron!” Mac widened his stance, planting his feet more firmly on the pavement. This mob scene should not have come as a surprise to a reporter with Mac’s experience. Nothing like a good burning at the stake to bring out the crowds, he reflected, sizing up the gathering mob.
Jockeying for a more advantageous position, he cast a searching glance over the rapidly growing mass of humanity. 
At least a couple hundred people, both reporters and locals, had converged before the front steps of the tiny courthouse. 
The sidewalk had long since reached critical mass, forcing citizens and the media alike out onto the street, until it had become necessary to divert traffic around the growing crowd.
Though he’d used the term ‘witch hunt’ often enough in the past, Mac had never expected to actually witness one.
And yet, here he was, smack-dab in the middle of a scene that belonged more in the seventeenth century than the twentieth.
Unconsciously licking his lips, he thought of the story he would file, one that had drawn him to this small town on California’s north coast. It was a story which possessed all the elements of a paranormal mystery, complete with a coven of lovely young witches. Before he was through with it, every man, woman and child in the USA would be afraid to sleep at night, sure that, left unguarded, their souls would be ripped from their unsuspecting bodies by evil witches.




 

Maralee Lowder found so much pleasure in reading such a wide spectrum of romance genres, she has never been able to write in just one.  Her novels run the gamut of contemporary, historical, humorous, horror, paranormal and suspense. 

 

Look for the sequel to "The Morticians Wife"  coming soon

 


 


 






This is the last stop for this fabulous tour.
But here are all the stops so you can visit any you may have missed. 



December 15 Review
Books, Books, and More Books
 
December 17 Promo
Inkk Reviews
 
December 17 Promo and review
Lissette E. Manning
 
December 18 Interview and review
The Avid Reader
 
December 20 Promo
A Girl and Her Kindle
  
December 21 Promo
Sapphyria's Book Reviews
 
December 27 Guest blog
Cloey's Book Reviews and Other Stuff
 
December 31 Interview and Character Interview
Laurie's Paranormal Thoughts and Reviews
 
 
 



5 print copies and 5 ebooks


a Rafflecopter giveaway
 
 
 
 
 
 


No comments: