Saturday, November 10, 2012

Merminia by Emm Cole: Interview

 



 

In an underwater world that is as beautiful as it is ruthless, the mertribes are not about to make peace with each other. Selinne is a mermaid who is certain she can take care of herself. But when she is captured by the bloodthirsty Litiants, she finds unlikely help from Gabriel, a warrior who appears as indifferent as he is handsome. As Selinne struggles to make sense of the good and evil around her, she discovers that there is no escaping love or her place in the raging war of the sea.

 

Amazon  |  Paperback   |   Goodreads   |  Barnes and Noble






 


 

Welcome Emm. I am so happy that you are visiting today and have agreed to answer some questions.  Tell us about your current release.


Merminia centers around a feisty mermaid named Selinne, who becomes a pawn in a brutal underwater war. Merminia is very character driven and a somewhat darker take on mermaids. There is a lot of magic, betrayal, love, and loss. Specifically, I would say that this book is about Selinne’s internal struggle to decide which relationships are most important to her. She faces some hard decisions when family loyalty, friendships, and romantic love collide.

 

Have any of your characters been modeled after yourself?

 

No, but Selinne has a sort of tough, stubborn exterior to hide how sensitive she is. I can definitely relate to that.


What was one of the most surprising things you learned while writing your books?

 

I was surprised at how emotionally attached I became to some of the secondary characters by the end of the manuscript. Zara and Bayren still make me teary sometimes. 


What artists are most played on your Ipod?


Johnny Cash, Florence and The Machines, and Mumford and Sons

 

Is there a writer you idolize? If so who?

 

I love John Green’s ability to write books that make me laugh and cry simultaneously.  I admire the writing style of Markus Zusack too. His physical descriptions in The Book Thief are like candy.


Tell us about the absolute BEST fan review you have received.

 

A reader described Gabriel as the Mr. Darcy of the sea. As a huge Jane Austen fan, I admit that left me with a huge, nerdy smile.


What is the next big thing?

 

I am currently writing the sequel to Merminia. I think there is definitely more adventure, heartbreak, and triumph for not only Selinne, but several other main players.

 

Is there one passage in your book that you feel gets to the heart of your book and would encourage people to read it?  If so, can you share it?

 

“They are here for mermaids,” he said, avoiding her worried eyes. “They have all of the treasure and land they want. They are here for you—for Lucia—for all of you.”
 
 “Surely there are mermaids in their own clan. Why come here for mates? What could they possibly want from us? What exactly are you saying?”
 
Aramis was known for his lighthearted pranks. Selinne searched his face for any hint that he was playing a cruel joke. His smoky eyes were unflinching as he stared back at her.
 
“They are not coming for mates,” he said. “They know about our rays. We are the only clan left where mermaids are born with healing magic. Now that they lay claim to most of the sea, they want an invincible army. If they can mend their soldiers as they please, they would never have to worry about fatal battle wounds. And besides their search for Adessia’s ring, what else is there left for the Litiants to fight over? It isn’t our territory or our hunting grounds. In this ocean they already have bragging rights. If they leave here with even a few of you, they could become indestructible.”
 
He pulled at the charms on her bracelet, waiting for her to take in the truth. She let his fingers hold to the shells and stones, unsure of what she should even say. She did not keep close confidence with any of the mermaids. Aramis and Bayren were the closest Merminians she had to call friends. Her clan was going into a battle with a formidable enemy who meant to get what they set out for. The revelation of what the Litiants wanted made her feel as if she was a plunging anchor with nothing to cushion the fall.
 
“A mermaid’s rays are her own gift to give,” she said in a dismayed whisper. “I have never known any dying merman to be selfish enough to demand that he be healed—not at the risk of draining a mermaid of her life.”
 

“They are not mermen, Selinne. They care nothing about protecting mermaids—especially not Merminians. They are vain, uncaring monsters. Dignity means nothing to them. That is why they always win.”


Emm lives with her husband and two children. You can tell which books on her bookshelf are her favorite by how many highlighted passages there are. She loves ice hockey, Impressionist paintings, and movies where the heroine can hold her own.

Contact Links:
 
 

 
Enter for a chance to win a Print copy of Merminia. US Shipping ONLY.
Comment on this post for a bonus entry.
Follow the author on  Twitter for another bonus entry.
 


 

10 comments:

Beckey said...

Thanks for sharing about the book that seems like an interesting read..

Anonymous said...

It's interesting to read about Mermaids because they are so different, but my favorite is still Disney's Ariel!

Bonnie Hilligoss/bonhill@speakeasy.net

sully6189 said...

Sounds like a great read!

sparklejewelsp59@yahoo.com said...

love to read great giveaway

Goldenmane said...

I love the concept of merfolk. Wonderful giveaway.

Brooke said...

I feel in love with mermaids as a young child due to Ariel. It's continued with my child as well. Being all grown up though, I struggle with it.

While I love mermaids and want to read about them, I find a lot of stories don't make them different enough. I mean think about it, everything is going to be different yet they are written like humans that had surgery to be able to live under the sea.

I haven't read many mermaid stories due to my disappointments before but I'm hopeful for this book and will continue my hunt for a mermaid portrayal I like.

Kirsten! said...

I don't usually like mermaid stories because they tend to a bit soft and over-romanticized, but this one looks exciting :)

Judy-Ree said...

It is my very strong belief that next year will be the year of the mermaids. If I wish it strong enough it could be, yes? (shh, don't rain on my parade!) I love mermaid stories and am adding this to my TBR pile!

Karen Arrowood said...

I didn't really start noticing books with/about mermaids until a year or so ago. now, it seems to be more and more common. But I don't hink I have seen anything quite like this one. Thanks for the opportunity to read something so very different.

Anonymous said...

I love the title of your book! I have always been called a Mermaid as a nickname and I simply can't wait to read it. Thanks for offering it for a prize. Fingers Crossed!