Monday, November 5, 2012

Lakebridge : Summer by Natasha Troop: Interview


 


 
 
 
 


In the aftermath of a tragic spring day, the people of Stansbury, Vermont, are unable to forget what happened, as they have all the tragedies of their past. After the media exploited their pain, they have become uneasy with the world beyond their town and with any outsiders.

 

In the aftermath of the media deluge, latecomers straggle into Stansbury looking to pick up the scraps of stories left behind. What they find, however, is that the powerful forces that have guided the destinies of the people of the town for hundreds of years are now at war with one another and in need of pawns.

 
In the aftermath of Spring, there is Summer.


Book Links:
Paperback  |   eBook


 
Vermont, picturesque and lovely, attracts visitors from across the country in search for the perfect picture, the perfect fall foliage or perhaps a taste of maple syrup. Stansbury is best known for the odd covered bridge that spans Stansbury Lake and goes nowhere, connecting no roads and serving no known purpose. The locals call it the Lakebridge. Very few know of its mysterious origins and fewer care to know more. Those visiting the town perhaps take a few snapshots and leave, their curiosity quelled by an uneasy feeling that they shouldn’t think on it anymore.
 
The tourists will eventually leave Stansbury, but its residents strangely linger, seemingly held captive by a force they barely recognize. They also do not think about the town’s mysterious artifact much except in passing, all but Gil, his father, Ben, and a few others. They know of the bridge’s dark history and understand that it is responsible for every horror that ever befell the people of Stansbury: the people who fear the bridge but will not speak of it. The bridge makes people do things – bad things – so that it can continue to love and care for them all.
 

Some have tried to destroy the bridge, but as long as the bridge is fed with the lives of the innocents of Stansbury it will go on – loving the people of Stansbury.

 

Lakebridge: Spring is the first of a four book cycle revolving around Stansbury and the Lakebridge.
 

Lakebridge: Spring 

Paperback   |  eBook  



Welcome!  Thanks for stopping by and answering a few of my questions.  How do you describe your writing style?

 

With probably more words than are necessary to get the point across. But I love words and how they work with one another to create a kind of music. Sentences should sing. I think we who work in prose often leave the music of words to the poets and song writers, but even the driest kind of writing, such as research papers on the uses of Twitter in the educational setting, can be engaging and flow in such a way that the reader hears the song in her mind.


What is the hardest part of writing your books?

 

Making them all so freaking amazing that people are way too intimidated to read them and say to themselves that they would rather read something a little less profoundly life changing because should they read my books, all other literature will be inevitably spoiled for them and they will never read anything but my books again which, while a lovely past time, is limiting. And while this is true, the hardest part aside from being amazing is finding the time to write when my head is clear of the other myriad aspects of my life that occupy it.

 

How do you develop your plots and your characters? Do you use any set formula?

 

I always start with character. The world of the books…the stories and plots form around and from the people that inhabit them. There have been many times that the characters have developed in such a way that I have to change the plot to accommodate them. If the characters live on the page, my readers will relate to them as living beings and should the characters have to conform to the plot rather than the plot conforming to them, the readers will not be able to suspend their disbelief. I write supernatural horror. I need my readers to accept that the world around the characters is real and that comes from the characters always acting authentically and not because I need them to do something.

 

What is the next big thing?

 

Biopunk. As a species we are getting bored with our physical reality and as science allows us to modify ourselves, we will do so just because we can. The explosion of body art is not even the tip of the iceberg compared to what we’ll see people do to themselves over the next decade.

 

Say your publisher has offered to fly you anywhere in the world to do research on an upcoming book, where would you most likely want to go?

 

Japan. I don’t even plan on writing about the Japanese or Japan. I just want to go there and experience that culture first hand and if someone wants to fly me somewhere on her dime, I’d go to Japan. And, yes, I’d probably write a few Japanese characters into my next book to justify the trip, but that would be cool. I think I’ll write a few Japanese characters into my next series anyway. 

 

Entice us, what future projects are you considering?

 

The world I’ve built around Stansbury is coming together really clearly to me. Where it was once a fairly isolated little town in my mind, the longer I write there, the more expansive it has become and I’ve come to realize that I’ve been world building in the way that H.P. Lovecraft did. That there is a greater mythology that I have yet to explore and develop. Once I’m done with the Lakebridge Cycle, I’m moving shop to the Arizona desert where I’m going to build a pyramid. Structures fascinate me.

 

Thank you for the interview!  :D


Natasha grew up in Southern California and received her Bachelor’s degree from UCLA in Comparative Literature. She also holds Masters Degrees in both Secondary Education and Creative Writing. Natasha currently lives in the Phoenix area with her spouse, son, daughter and menagerie of pets, including a Basset named Moose and a very overprotective collie dog. Aside from writing and teaching high school students to love theatre.
 


 
WEBSITE  |  BLOG  |  FACEBOOK  |  TWITTER  |  GOODREADS


 
 
Tour Dates - November 5-November 15

 Next Few Stops

11/5 - Lost Inside the Covers - Review


11/6 - Jess Resides Here - Character Interview


11/7 - Broadcast from the Bistro - Live Podcast (7pm EST)

 More






2 comments:

sgzimmer said...

Great interview! Natasha definitely is one to watch. Thanks for being on the tour! :)

Bridge Maiden said...

Thank you so much for hosting my tour!

Natasha