Saturday, November 24, 2012

A Member of the Council by Lynn Cahoon: Character Interview & Excerpt



A rogue hunter, a clueless witch and a mission to save an unknowing world.
Parris McCall, owner of the dive bar, The Alibi, has finally constructed a life where her little quirks don’t show or matter to anyone. As for her grandmother's warnings that she’s different, well, she'll cross that bridge if she comes to it. But when Ty walks into her bar, both lives are instantly changed.
Ty Wallace loves his life. How could he not? He’s a powerful human lawyer by day and the Magic Council's rogue witch hunter by night. But after he agrees to substitute on his secretary’s dart team, all hell breaks loose. Now Ty has to help Parris admit who she is before her long-lost relatives kill her.

A Lyrical Press Paranormal Romance

Amazon  |  Goodreads  |  Lyrical Press   |  B&N

“Sally knows how to recruit a substitute.” Parris looked in his brown eyes, juggling her darts. “You’ve never played before?”
Ty shot her a smile designed to melt the coldest of hearts. Yes, he knew what he was doing all right. At least in the flirting department. Parris’ knees felt weak looking at him.
“I swear. I’ve never played league before. Beginners luck.” Ty motioned to the dart machine. “You ready or you want to throw a few practice darts?”
Parris’ eyes narrowed. Ha. He’d said he’d never played league before, not ever played before. Sally had brought in a ringer. Confident, she shook her head. “I’m ready to get this over.”
“Pretty sure of yourself aren’t you?” Ty tilted his head to the side, watching her reaction.
“You don’t have to be cocky when you’re good.”
“And you think you’re good?” Ty pressed. “A natural?”
She frowned, her face crinkling. “I have a lot of free time on my hands here when there’s nothing to do except practice.”
Another couple hours and Ty Wallace would be out of her sight, her bar, and her life. She wished erasing him from her thoughts and dreams would be as easy.

Character Interview – Parris McCall – A Member of the Council.

Hi.  I’m Parris McCall, owner/operator of The Alibi, a small bar in a little upscale St. Louis neighborhood. Believe me, I didn’t name the bar, I bought it that way.  I love working there after my dream of teaching blew up in my face.  You see, I’m a bit different.  And if you hear about the incident where queen of mean, Brittney’s hair turned pink in high school, I promise, I had nothing to do with that.  

Well, maybe. 

So let’s get this interview over with.  I’ve got to get back to the bar and relieve April.


Where do you dream of traveling to and why?


I’ve never been out of the country.  Electrical devises seem to short out when I’m close so I worry a bit about flying.  I mean, could you imagine being on a plane and the electrical system blowing out?  *Shudders.*  But if I could fly, I’d go to Hawaii.  I really love the pictures of the sand and beach.

Tell us about your family.


All I’ve got is my Grans.  She means the world to me.  She raised me from the time I was five.

What was the scariest moment of your life?


The day Grans came to my house and told me my parents had been killed.  Dead. I guess as a five year old, she wanted me to understand they weren’t coming back.  Ever.

What book are you reading now?


I’m reading an Amish Cozy Mystery.  I know, right?  You don’t think that the Amish would have to deal with things like murder or falsehoods, or I guess I didn’t.  I love the story though.  It’s called Hearse and Buggy by Laura Bradford.

What are your favorite TV shows?


You caught me.  I’m a sucker for reality shows like Top Chef, The Next Food Network Star, Design Star, those types of shows.  I think it’s because I love the fact that they are willing to take risks for their craft.  For their dream.  I wish sometimes I had their strength.

What is your favorite meal?


OMG, I love food.  I want to be not just a good cook, but a chef quality cook someday.  I love watching the Food Network.  So anything with sea food and creams and maybe throw in a mashed potato or two, I’m happy.  That being said, I eat a lot of salads.  I don’t have much time to cook.  On my nights off, I stop at the local bakery and pick up a loaf of bread and bowl of clam chowder.  Opening a bottle of wine, I’m in heaven.

What group did you hang out with in high school?


Uhm, did you see my comment about Brittany?  I hung out with the librarian because I didn’t fit in anywhere else.  Small school, few cliques, and no room for me.  I wanted Grans to homeschool me, but she said playing with others was good for me. I guess that’s why I wanted to teach so bad.  To give kids who were different hope that they would have a place in the world.  April, who works for me, is going to school to work with homeless kids.  She knows what she wants and is going for it.

What is something people would be surprised to know about you?

I guess that would be the same thing that surprised me when Ty Wallace walked his sexy, six-foot-two frame into The Alibi a few weeks ago.  I’m a witch.  Not the black hat, bent nose, wart, Halloween type of witch.  Just a witch-in-training to find a secret coven who probably killed my parents.  And thought they killed me.  They’ll be in for a big surprise when I find them. 


Sorry for going all avenging angel on you right there.  Have anymore questions?


Just one - Do you have a favorite quote, quip, or saying? What is it?


If you’re going through hell, keep on going.


Lynn Cahoon is a contemporary romance author with a love of hot, sexy men, real and imagined. Her alpha heroes range from rogue witch hunters to modern cowboys. And her heroines all have one thing in common, their strong need for independence. Or at least that’s what they think they want.  She blogs at her website, A Fairy Tale Life at

Or Follow her on Twitter -

Enter for a chance to win a $5 Amazon Giftcard.
Comment on this post for a bonus entry.
Follow the author on Twitter for another bonus entry.



Lynn Cahoon said...

Since Parris did the interview, I guess I can stop in and handle the comments. So what is your favorite quote?

Roxy Boroughs said...

I'm with Parris in the food department.

Here's my favorite quote, and it's from the French novelist George Sand. “There is only one happiness in life, to love and be loved.”

Lynn Cahoon said...

Roxy - Nice... I don't think I've ever seen that quote before. Thanks.

nora snowdon said...

as a former dart player, you hit just the right excerpt. looks like a fun book. i've loved witches as heroines ever since bewitched and bell, book and candle.

Ashlyn said...

I absolutely love character interviews. Thanks Lynn, and you're book sounds wonderful. I'm a big urban fantasy, paranormal romance reader. Hmm, witches. I haven't read a witch story in a long time.

Beckey said...

Thanks for sharing the wonderful excerpt, seems like a great read...


Lynn Cahoon said...

Hi Nora - you played? I love playing darts.

Ashlyn - I hope you take a chance on A Member of the Council. The character interview was fun.

Hi Beckey! Glad you liked the excerpt.


Dovile said...

It was very interesting to learn more about the author. Thank you for the interview.