Sunday, October 7, 2012

The Coffee Shop by Lauren Hunter : Interview and Excerpt

 
 


 
 
 
 
 
Title:  The Coffee Shop
Genre: Paranormal Romance
Publisher: Musa Publishing
Release Date: October 14/11 

If Derrick thought experiencing alternate timelines and glimpses into the future was strange then he had no idea it was about to get far more strange than he ever imagined.
 

When Derrick Sloane meets Annie Maddock and falls madly in love, he believes he's met the girl of his dreams. Only he then awakes to discover she is exactly that...nothing more than a dream. Disheartened, he goes to the first coffee shop he can find. There he meets Annie. She is at the same table, reading the same book, and he fast realizes his dream has shown him his own future. But when a misstep alters that perfect future he tries to fix it, every attempt only making it worse.
 

Can he fix what he has changed? Should he even try?
 
Buy Links:
Goodreads  |  Musa  |   Barnes & Noble  |  Amazon US  |    Amazon UK  | 
Amazon Germany  |  Amazon France  |  Amazon Italy   |  Bookstrand  |   All Romance 
Smashwords  |   Kobo   |  Diesel ebook store  |  eBook Eros  |  Sony eReader Store 
 


There was a rap at the door. “Your hot chocolate is ready.”
 
“Thanks, I’ll be right down.”
 
There was a pause. “You sure you’re all right?”
 
“Why do you keep asking me that?”
 
“Oh, I don’t know. I can hear something in your voice.”
 
“In my voice? What are you, part dog or something?”
 
Derrick  chuckled.  “There might be a girl from college that may just agree with you on that.” Again there was a pause. “May I come in?”
 
“Actually, I was about to get dressed.”
 
“So, you’re saying you’re not decent?”
 
“No, I’m wearing a bathrobe.”
 
“Well good, because I’m coming in.”
 
“No, Derrick…” But he had already opened the door, and setting the cocoa
aside he came over standing before her as she sat on the bed.
 
“Okay, now I know something’s wrong. Annie, why didn’t you tell me how bad you hurt yourself?”
 
“It’s not that bad. I’m not about to make a big deal out of nothing.”
 
“You don’t need to be brave for me. If anything it’s really important that you be as honest as you can, with both yourself, and me, about this. I don’t want you doing any more damage because you are trying to force yourself to do something you shouldn’t be.”
 
“All right, I’ll admit, my ankles are a little sore. I must have stretched the muscles or something.”
 
“It looks like they are a lot more than a little sore.”
 
“Well you know what they say. A sprain is a lot more painful than a break. Although that would obviously depend on the break. But I’ve sprained something, and I’ve broken something, and I’d have to agree with that assessment, the sprain was much more painful. But as far as that goes this isn’t even that bad.”
 
“Pain is our body’s way of telling us we are hurt.” Derrick looked concerned.
 
“You do realize you sound like Mr. Rogers?”
 
“Those people that feel you have to be in pain to accomplish something.” He shook his head.
 
“Well, I’ll agree with you on that score.”
 
“If they hurt you need to stay off them. You don’t want to make it worse.”
 
“You can’t be serious.”
 
“Well, look at it this way, by using them while they’re sore you will probably lengthen the time it takes for them to heal.”
 
The idea of experiencing what she was now for any longer than she absolutely had to, was not an appealing concept, to say the least. “I’ll try to take it as easy as I can.”
 
“Try?”
 
“Well I am not going to spend the remainder of the weekend in this bed.”
 
“No need.”
 
“What are you saying?”
 
Before she had a chance to reply, Derrick had slipped one arm beneath her knees, the other around her back and under her arms.
 
“Whoa! What are you doing?”
 
“Well, I would have thought that was obvious.”
 
“Oh, you have to be kidding me.”
 
“What makes you think that?”
 
“You are not serious.”
 
“Completely.”
 
“What? So, you’re going to carry me everywhere?”
 
“Pretty much.”
 
“Oh now that’s just too much!”
 

He was already lifting her into his arms as though she was nothing, and she wrapped her arms around his neck as he carried her out the door and onto the balcony. He was wearing a sweater but she could still feel his taut and rippling muscles beneath it. The muscles in his arms flexing against her as he carried her carefully down the stairs. The heat from his body reached through her bathrobe as she held her face close to his, the scent of soap and aftershave wafting up around her as he grasped her tightly to him. Setting her on the sofa next to the fire, he turned his face to hers. For a moment they just stayed like that, holding each other, their lips close as his eyes moved down her face to her mouth. 

 

Welcome Lauren! Tell us about your current release.

 

The Coffee Shop is about Derrick Sloane, a driven, self-made millionaire that meets and falls in love with Annie Maddock. Only he awakes to discover that it was all a dream. Disheartened, he goes to the first coffee shop he can find only to see Annie sitting alone, reading a book, just as in his dream. He realizes his dream has shown him his own future five months ahead. But when he alters that perfect future by changing events from his dream, he tries to fix it only to make it worse. But then just when he wonders what he is going to do he has a dream inside a dream, allowing him to see two alternate time lines. He now must make the most difficult decision of his life.

 

Plotter or Pantser? Why?

 

Both. I would consider myself to be a plotter, but even if I did sit down and work out a detailed outline, when it comes to writing it, you have to flesh out all those ideas and fill in all the empty spaces in between. That requires being creative in the moment. But I have written an entire novel with no outline at all. I just sat down and wrote whatever came into my head. I let the story tell itself, and go where it wished. Four weeks later I had a 120K sci-fi. I prefer to at least have a basic outline to work from, but I find it best to let whatever creative urge I have in the moment take over.

 

Say your publisher has offered to fly you anywhere in the world to do research on an upcoming book, where would you most likely want to go?

 

Italy. I have an idea for a time travel novel and I want it to take place, for the most part, in a small coastal town in Italy. By going there I would be able to live the town, its people, architecture, streets and shops. Then when it came time to write the novel I would be able to easily incorporate what I’ve seen and experienced into the storyline. By having stayed there my story would take on a feel and realism that would make it come alive.

 

Entice us, what future projects are you considering?

 

I am all over the place when it comes to writing. Under the pseudonym Lauren Hunter I write books where romance is the driving force of the story, but I don’t like to restrict myself to any one genre. The Coffee Shop is about dreams of the future and alternate timelines, I have a regency paranormal trilogy coming out, and I already have outlines for two more. With the regency paranormals I am letting my imagination take over. I have come up with what I hope will be considered funny and unique takes on the paranormal. I have outlines for ghost, time travel, angel and contemporary romance. But under another pseudonym I write non romance going in the opposite direction into horror, thriller, fantasy and sci-fi. Those can get pretty dark or even gory. I let the story dictate what happens so if there is violence in it I have not done it for shock factor, but have incorporated it into the storyline as an integral part of that story.

 

Have any of your characters been modeled after yourself?

 

I would say all authors do this, even if it is only aspects of themselves. As writers we are drawing on our own life experiences when it comes to how any character would act or react. Our observations, our personal experiences, are all part of what we write. Yes, we can go deep into our imagination when creating fantasy worlds, but even then I would be drawing on what I know when it comes to the characters. That is not to say you can’t create a character entirely from observation.

 

What are your hero and heroine of the story like?

 

With Derrick it’s interesting, before Annie he was confident, self-assured, driven, focused, pretty much a loner. But when he meets and gets to know Annie it’s like he becomes another man. Even he is not sure why his confidence and self-assuredness wanes, his focus becomes blurred, and his ability to judge situations is lost. Of course what is happening within his life, just then, only adds to all the uncertainty.

 

Annie is reserved, guarded, shy, fun loving, enjoys the simple things in life. She enjoys the moment and getting satisfaction out of doing something she feels matters.

 

Neither Derrick nor Annie are looking for love or a relationship when they meet, but then something happens, and it was like they were meant to meet and be together. Like the universe was waiting for that perfect moment when they were both ready.  

 


Lauren Hunter is a writer of Regency and paranormal romance novels, with plans to write in a variety of other genres, including time travel, angel, ghost, and contemporary romance. Besides novels, she also writes poetry and short stories, with her poems appearing in anthologies from England, Holland, and the US. Appearing in a number of The International Library of Poetry’s anthologies, she has received the Editor’s Choice Award and was published in The International Who’s Who of Poetry 2004. Her paranormal romance, The Coffee Shop, is now available through Musa Publishing, with a paranormal regency trilogy soon to be released.

Author Links
Blog  |  Web Page  |   Twitter  |   Facebook 






Enter for a chance to win a digital copy The Coffee Shop.
Comment on this post for a bonus entry.
Follow the author on Twitter for another bonus entry.
Giveaway ends October 27th 11:59 PM Central Time.

4 comments:

erlessard said...

I must say that this is a very odd cover....at least when viewed on my phone. It looks like a girl in a sports bra on the moon or mars or some planet. Is that what it actually is or is my phone deceiving me?

Anonymous said...

Thank you so very much for hosting all of hear great contests :)
Elaine
@sccc5

Natasha said...

Thanks for the giveaway. Been meaning to get this book. My to be read list is huge. Lol!

patricia crews said...

ok, so based on the exerpt....DO THEY KISS OR NOT?!?!? lol, looks like a good read, and will be adding it to my tbr list. thanks for the giveaway :0)