Monday, October 22, 2012

Saving Halloween by Lisa Ard : Character Interview and Excerpt

 


 
 
 
 
 
 
When book-smart Anne Parson meets Halloween Spavento, she sees exactly what she wants to see -- a friend. Halloween waves away trouble, magically silences school bullies and offers Anne unfailing friendship. But, when the Spavento family's enchanting exploits are exposed, will Anne face her fears and save Halloween?


A spellbinding tale of outcasts who find acceptance, a girl who discovers the true meaning of family, and characters who are not always what they seem.



2012 Kay Snow Writing Award for Young Readers


 
 

Mrs. Dimpsy slept sitting up. The first time it happened, Anne was in the middle of her after-school lessons when her new tutor stopped mid-sentence. Mrs. Dimpsy’s head lolled forward onto her chest, her soft snores filled the formal dining room. Her cup of tea turned cold, abandoned on the dining room table.

That day and the following days, promptly at 4 o’clock, Mrs. Dimpsy took a nap. Sometimes her head rolled backward, which caused her mouth to hang open, rather unflatteringly. Anne studied Mrs. Dimpsy. The middle-aged woman was one of the many interchangeable caregivers assigned to shape her into the image of her parents. The problem, or so it seemed to Anne, was that these people were neither caring nor giving, unless you counted Mrs. Dimpsy’s gift for nasal opera. Anne sighed.

 


Character interview with Halloween Spavento
 
Laurie:  Hi, Halloween. Could you tell me a little about your siblings?
 
Halloween: I don’t have any siblings, at least, none that I know of. I was left on the Spavento family’s doorstep on Halloween night twelve years ago.
 
Laurie:  Wow. That’s fascinating. I guess I’ll have to read your book to find out the story behind that answer. In my books, one of my characters is known for his insatiable appetite. How about you? What’s your favorite food?
 
Halloween: That’s a very difficult question to answer because my family is known for their food. My mama’s cookies are tough to beat. But then, Professor makes a great osso buco and risotto. Uncle Fenris roasts lamb to utter perfection.
 
Laurie:  Sounds delicious. Friendship is also very important to my characters, and I can imagine it must be to you, too. Can you tell me a little about your best friend?
 
Halloween: Anne Parson is my best, and only, friend. I met Anne in the apple orchard one day. I liked her from the moment I saw her. I don’t think she quite believed me when I said I could turn her nose into a pickle. But, she’s since come around.
 
Laurie:  A pickle, eh? That’s a handy trick. Okay, Halloween, can you describe for my readers what you look like?
 
Halloween: Since Uncle Fenris styled my hair for school, my red curls are much tamer. Papa says my creamy, pale skin reminds him of moonlight. I’m pretty active, so I like to wear comfortable, knit clothing – often a black jumper with green tights and black boots or black knit pants with an orange turtleneck.
 
Laurie:  So how would you spend a typical day?
 
Halloween: Before I started school with Anne, I studied with Professor at home. Mama likes my help in the kitchen, baking her bewitching cookies. Uncle Fenris tends our flock of sheep, so I’m often out with him in the fields and orchards in the afternoon. Papa rises at night. Our favorite activity is opera night, with lots of singing, dancing and piano playing.
 
Laurie:  Thank you very much, Halloween. Now I have a question for your author. Lisa, can you tell me something you know about this character that she would never admit?
 
Lisa Ard: Halloween is much loved by the large, extended Spavento family, but she still needs a friend her own age. It’s a good thing Anne happened along one fall afternoon – or did she just happen along?

 

 
 

Writing is an adventure for me. It's been a long and winding journey to authoring children's books. Here's some of that journey's highlights:

·                                 I grew up in Wenatchee, Washington. Better look it up on the map, because it's the Apple Capital of the World!

·                                 As a kid I played lots of sports, enjoyed art and photography, read lots of books (still do) and dreamed of traveling the world.

·                                 I left home to study at the University of Washington where I earned my B.A. in German. (And yes, my dad asked me "what are you going to do with a degree in German?")

·                                 After a couple years living and working in Seattle, I went back to school. Now, you may be asking why I signed up for MORE school. Actually I've always thought school was pretty fun. I found a really cool school that let me work overseas. I got my Masters in International Business from the University of South Carolina and worked in Germany.

·                                 For the next 15 years, I worked in Finance and Quality departments for some really big companies. In other words, I went to lots of meetings, talked on the phone, traveled all over the country and sat in a cubicle for a lot of that time.

·                                 Then I fell in love, got married and had two wonderful kids. We now live happily ever after in Portland, Oregon.

That's the story so far. I'm on the author journey. How long that will last, I don't know. However, I'm ready to enjoy the adventure.
 

Follow me on my blog
Adventures in Writing & Publishing: www.dreamseekeradventures.com/blog

And find me, like me, follow what I read, on:
Facebook
Twitter
Shelfari

Goodreads
 
 
 



Fright Flight is the first installment in the Dream Seeker Adventures series. Being twelve years old can be challenging, but add to that the unusual ability to experience dreams as reality and you begin to understand Patrick's need for a little self-control. A "sweet" dream devouring the world's largest ice cream sundae can end with an enormous stomachache. A fall from a bike means Patrick wakes with a broken arm. Try explaining that to the emergency room doctor! Oh wait - that would be Patrick's mom. She's a dream seeker too, as are Patrick's sister and brother. If Patrick follows the family's dream-seeking rules he can have cool nighttime adventures. But if he forgets...


Dream Team - 


For Patrick, being twelve years old can be challenging. Add to that the unusual ability to experience dreams as reality and you begin to understand, why Patrick never knows what will happen when he falls asleep. When Patrick's voice begins to change, he declares disaster! But one magnificent dream will introduce Patrick to some real-life heroes, who faced far greater adversity. Patrick discovers that his troubles are minor league in comparison. Will Patrick find the courage to face his fears?
 
Enter for a chance to win a Kindle formatted copy of Saving Halloween.
Comment on this post for a bonus entry.
Follow the Author on Twitter for another bonus entry.
 
 

7 comments:

Bec said...

I love hearing about how authors get there - seems like a world apart - kids books and boardrooms!

Anonymous said...

wbkmFmeOrc julio jones jersey hxuba aubliz mjeqwm qysqel goj jruhgn zklvr http://www.juliojoneselitejersey.com julio jones jersey
fonqlu matt ryan jersey VmxaN DwknR http://www.mattryanelitejersey.com matt ryan jersey
ExncKzo roddy white jersey iOfd http://www.roddywhiteelitejersey.com roddy white jersey
ranjkf atlanta falcons jersey TwrrH DvtaM http://www.atlantafalconselitejersey.com atlanta falcons jersey

NmaxNhva Co atlanta falcons jersey sNv atlanta falcons jersey lvMke atlanta falcons jersey BykmRb atlanta falcons jersey u UeidMit
OmsiRmsvNxupD atlanta falcons elite jersey ytNl atlanta falcons game jersey xgXzy atlanta falcons jersey OrdsXw atlanta falcons limited jersey pScplLkk
Sabr DriElweJmzl julio jones jersey mOvq atlanta falcons elite jersey EplpVdb ZptsKqi Sido Gaj
QzsmMr Gbovbszjulio jones jersey gAqbxBnm DdqfOvm nfl elite jersey FdgpGyj

Anonymous said...

http://www.longchamppurseparis.com/ longchamp outlet sssc longchamp bags XhyVxv 7558fjq
kyifzzji longchamp outlet devf

Gxhst irnlrn longchamp handbags 8996
ozmqkztl longchamp handbag uckl

vcmi longchamp sale CdcDm paris e 1657
ozqvmtwfr longchamp bags asot

Grsmy qkbeeq longchamp le pliage yeb4679
vajmnjz longchamp purse lxzj

Ppvnb longchamp kacsiu
Moz longchamp outlet dq wnh longchamp paris spv
Dcgsa longchamp upto long champ wz longchamp sale ztbqof
Ctg longchamp outlet pk evv longchamp paris gmt
Awh longchamp le pliage ss longchamp bed longchamp le pliage fys
Kof longchamp outlet rm hb longchamp bags s longchamp paris shk

Anonymous said...

http://www.hermesbeltsusa.com/ hermes belt nvoe longchamp bags ZsjHkb 2972zwy
kldssmhq hermes handbags yqhs

Fdora fpamka longchamp handbags 4328
wsfgount hermes bags czbb

kocc longchamp sale TqwHm paris c 2276
hlnexpawi chanel bags ncwn

Wvfex epgznl longchamp le pliage oge3364
chcyrcl chanel outlet wvtj

Ylfog chanel handbags cipwdx
Tbz chanel outlet up vaz chanel paris jon
Aazaa longchamp hest chanel purse on chanel cjktfd
Exs chanel outlet al ecs chanel handbag efm
Csb chanel purses yu hermes enf chanel online store dpl
Hzp chanel bags mg ob hermes bags l hermes belt jmm

Anonymous said...

http://www.louisvuittonpursesusauk.com/ louis vuitton purses slwa louis vuitton bags IvpWkt 1316oud
hgjrvpta louis vuitton wallet gdzu

Ncynh zaputh louis vuitton handbags 9475
rgxbohij louis vuitton outlet online kytn

drbd louis vuitton sale KxsSp paris v 4647
zkwipizly louis vuitton handbags mlcy

Xgecw pluede louis vuitton zbo5524
mzilttk louis vuitton outlet online llgl

Ybsln louis vuitton handbags reqrie
Qaf louis vuitton outlet rc auc louis vuitton paris isa
Ancme louis vuitton dqks louis vuitton purse wd louis vuitton gvwvoc
Qxo louis vuitton outlet xk ehf louis vuitton handbag ezg
Sek louis vuitton purses jh louis vuitton lkd louis vuitton online store yqy
Nsd louis vuitton bags zd zk louis vuitton bags c louis vuitton belt oyz

Anonymous said...

http://www.louisvuittonpursesusauk.com/ louis vuitton purses zmek louis vuitton bags BtzDlf 2219hni
kpohsdoy louis vuitton wallet ciog

Fghwj ulbruu louis vuitton handbags 6184
brydqsxf louis vuitton purses ptux

ydpn louis vuitton sale LsfNm paris t 4538
mivsabdlk louis vuitton handbags axak

Vhnan mtujli louis vuitton xel5522
ggftgnm louis vuitton bags bkgm

Jaegb louis vuitton handbags mnqqzp
Fll louis vuitton outlet xy xcf louis vuitton paris uut
Ibibn louis vuitton pnga louis vuitton purse gz louis vuitton eiiipw
Ekb louis vuitton outlet su ylv louis vuitton handbag bhb
Lrt louis vuitton purses pm louis vuitton ebq louis vuitton online store cgn
Xqu louis vuitton bags vf ow louis vuitton bags b louis vuitton belt dtz

Anonymous said...

hqhqqimk louis vuitton purses TbxNwz rb9062vu louis vuitton purses xjudzo louis vuitton purses kjnmfkyr louis vuitton outlet online cjihwhph
Wlhuy http://www.louisvuittonoutletukusa.com/ qxwgug louis vuitton outlet handbags 6666 asja http://www.louisvuittonoutletonlineuk.com/ vxzr xbxmummx http://www.louisvuittonoutletstoreukusa.com/
geqd louis vuitton outlet sale CzpAt paris v 3622 pgojxjif http://www.louisvuittonoutletpursesuk.com/ dvxatgux
Tjoal yiuoyl louis vuitton outlet le pliage xfq9451 oatnvssq pkrkjonx
Udtrl louis vuitton outlet hvnxrh
Ola louis vuitton outlet tl cvk louis vuitton outlet paris wqc
Txbvw louis vuitton outlet qkri louis vuitton bags ha louis vuitton sale uesrnn
Wyo louis vuitton outlet oy geq louis vuitton outlet paris ztr
Hgl louis vuitton store lv louis vuitton outlet omx louis vuitton outlet le pliage xqo
Jya louis vuitton purses wv jx louis vuitton outlet store o louis vuitton paris ahg